14 replies to this topic

#1 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,575 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

Q. MLB has banned the third-to-first fake pickoff move, deeming it “detrimental to the game of baseball.” Shouldn’t they also take a look at Tim McCarver’s broadcasting career? (J.B. Koch; Waukesha, Wis.)

A. To be fair, McCarver did Sports Nation a great service last week, announcing this would be his last season on Fox baseball.

Boy, I won't miss him!

Link

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Q. MLB has banned the third-to-first fake pickoff move, deeming it “detrimental to the game of baseball.” Shouldn’t they also take a look at Tim McCarver’s broadcasting career? (J.B. Koch; Waukesha, Wis.)

A. To be fair, McCarver did Sports Nation a great service last week, announcing this would be his last season on Fox baseball.

Boy, I won't miss him!

Link

me either.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

McCarver became intolerable several years ago when he started peddling the BS about all the subtle strategies in baseball. I remember one telecast when he went on an on about the significance of how an infielder was leaning (right or left) before a pitch.

One of the announcers on the Duke-Louisville game yesterday also qualified for the McCarver Hall of Idiocy. He was speculating on how Duke would play with short rest in the tournament. The announcer proudly proclaimed that he had done a statistical analysis of Duke's regular season games and determined that they won by an average of 20 or more points with four days rest and 15 or more points with three days rest.

#4 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

I guess the hidden ball trick at first would be detrimental, also. Just need it to happen one more time before it's banned.
I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#5 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

He was actually ok in the 90s...I don't know what happened to him. It's like he lost his filter.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#6 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

I guess the hidden ball trick at first would be detrimental, also. Just need it to happen one more time before it's banned.

They should also ban spitting during games. It's bad for the environment.

#7 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Boy, I won't miss him!

Link

I like McCarver. What is so bad about him?

#8 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

McCarver became intolerable several years ago when he started peddling the BS about all the subtle strategies in baseball. I remember one telecast when he went on an on about the significance of how an infielder was leaning (right or left) before a pitch.

One of the announcers on the Duke-Louisville game yesterday also qualified for the McCarver Hall of Idiocy. He was speculating on how Duke would play with short rest in the tournament. The announcer proudly proclaimed that he had done a statistical analysis of Duke's regular season games and determined that they won by an average of 20 or more points with four days rest and 15 or more points with three days rest.

What is wrong with either example? Arent analysts supposed to um, analyze?
The guy who used to drive me nuts was Buck Martinez. His voice always sounded like he was talking while chomping on a cigar hanging out of the side of his mouth and most of the stuff he said was so obvious you might as well been listening to nothing.

#9 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,575 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

I like McCarver.

I rest my case.:D

#10 hector

hector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

What is wrong with either example? Arent analysts supposed to um, analyze?
The guy who used to drive me nuts was Buck Martinez. His voice always sounded like he was talking while chomping on a cigar hanging out of the side of his mouth and most of the stuff he said was so obvious you might as well been listening to nothing.

Here's what's wrong with the two analyses:

1. If a player leans slightly to the right or left during a long tiresome game, it's probably caused by muscle fatigue rather than some complex baseball strategy.

2. The comments by the analyst on the Duke-Louisville game suggests that he attributes a five point differential to 3 days of rest or 4. There's a concept in logical thinking called cause and effect. The analyst left out far more significant variables such as the quality of the opposition.

#11 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

I rest my case.:D

Apparently you must have asked those three cute girls in your Avatar the following:

I lost my phone number, can I have yours?

:D

#12 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Here's what's wrong with the two analyses:

1. If a player leans slightly to the right or left during a long tiresome game, it's probably caused by muscle fatigue rather than some complex baseball strategy.

2. The comments by the analyst on the Duke-Louisville game suggests that he attributes a five point differential to 3 days of rest or 4. There's a concept in logical thinking called cause and effect. The analyst left out far more significant variables such as the quality of the opposition.

1. Maybe, maybe not. I used to lean a certain way when I played the infield in anticipation of where the ball may be hit. I could actually tell when a RH hitter was going to try to hit the ball to the right side of the infield so I would lean that way.

2. I agree with you that there would be other variables to take into account but the basic premise makes sense in that a team with an extra day of rest should possibly play a little better. What wouldn't make sense is the other way around.

I see no problem with either example, but it is apparent that you just don't like McCarver, which is fine. I dislike hearing Buck Martinez - to each his own.

Answer me this question. Why do you think the Orioles lost so may games a couple seasons back when they played on Sundays? Was it due to Wieters being rested, or the players out partying Saturday night?

#13 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,337 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

1. Maybe, maybe not. I used to lean a certain way when I played the infield in anticipation of where the ball may be hit. I could actually tell when a RH hitter was going to try to hit the ball to the right side of the infield so I would lean that way.

yeah, but that was before the invention of gloves :-).

McCarver, while at one time was a decent analyst, he crossed over into the "taking to hear himself speak" category....
:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

McCarver crossed over into the "talking to hear himself speak" category....

there it is.

if he was rooting for a team, and he always had an obvious dog in every fight, everyone on that team was a god among men. as a NYY sycophant, he would do things like heep high praise on the infield grass at yankee stadium for instantly growing 1/16 of an inch to slow down a NY bunt, allowing the runners to advance.

the most routine positioning and play is a HOF worthy moment if it was perfromed by the team he was rooting for.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#15 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

there it is.

if he was rooting for a team, and he always had an obvious dog in every fight, everyone on that team was a god among men. as a NYY sycophant, he would do things like heep high praise on the infield grass at yankee stadium for instantly growing 1/16 of an inch to slow down a NY bunt, allowing the runners to advance.

the most routine positioning and play is a HOF worthy moment if it was perfromed by the team he was rooting for.

He was a StL Cardinal catcher and actually faced the Yankees in the WS
(1964 I believe) so why would he be rooting for them?:confused: I could see his favortism if the Cardinals were one of the teams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users