Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

MSP dragging feet on gun background checks?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Smartypants

Mr. Smartypants

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:29 AM

I know they are swamped, but really??? 7 weeks now and still waiting.

#2 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

Waiting longer than 7 days for them to stamp a form "Not Disapproved" is the dealer's choice.

Your dealer has the legal authority to release the weapon to you on the 8th day after he submits the paperwork to MSP.

He chooses not to.

MSP is not meeting the requirements of the law. Dealers should force them to.

If dealers start following the letter of the law, releasing them on the 8th day, you''d see MSP clear the backlog in a big big hurry.

Their administrative hold on the weapon is a de facto gun ban.

#3 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,083 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

Current and future gun owners need to inform their representatives in Annapolis.

Not once, but again and again and ...

(There is a story about an Israeli politician who proposed joining the USA as the 51st state. "Are you mad?" his colleagues retorted. "If we were another state, we would have two senators and a few congressmen. Now we have at least 80 senators and hundreds of congressmen!")

#4 bmorepunk

bmorepunk

I Can't Read Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

I know they are swamped, but really??? 7 weeks now and still waiting.

Nobody can keep up with the panic. I've seen people acquire ammo through some really creative means in the last couple of weeks.

I knew things were out of control but when I heard the Glock rep last week tell me how many backorders they have at their Smyrna plant I was floored. The number has gone up in six months to 10% of the total they've sold in the United States since they started selling them here (25 years).

#5 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

MSP estimates that IF the state passes the new "assault weapon" ban, it will not go into effect for 6 months (giving everyone enough time to purchase whatever one they want) and the number of them will increase from the current 60,000 to 100,000.

Less than 0.01% of shootings in MD were committed using one.

Passing laws for problems that don't exist.

Isn't that their excuse for not passing voter anti-fraud laws?

#6 Mr. Smartypants

Mr. Smartypants

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Waiting longer than 7 days for them to stamp a form "Not Disapproved" is the dealer's choice.

Your dealer has the legal authority to release the weapon to you on the 8th day after he submits the paperwork to MSP.

He chooses not to.

MSP is not meeting the requirements of the law. Dealers should force them to.

If dealers start following the letter of the law, releasing them on the 8th day, you''d see MSP clear the backlog in a big big hurry.

Their administrative hold on the weapon is a de facto gun ban.

I know they can release it but they won't. They said something about the Feds could come after them despite what MD law says. Needless to say, I'll be looking for another FFL for my future purchases.

#7 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

The paper trail for all this BS starts right at the White House. This state is a hot bed of ultra liberals who voted for all this lunacy.

#8 MDvet

MDvet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

MSP estimates that IF the state passes the new "assault weapon" ban, it will not go into effect for 6 months (giving everyone enough time to purchase whatever one they want) and the number of them will increase from the current 60,000 to 100,000.

Less than 0.01% of shootings in MD were committed using one.

IF should be replaced by WHEN

I doubt 6 months will be "enough time to purcahse whatever one they want." Just checked with a gun shop, they won't even take a desposit to order one as they don't know when their orders will be filled.

#9 Dryfire

Dryfire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

IF should be replaced by WHEN

I doubt 6 months will be "enough time to purcahse whatever one they want." Just checked with a gun shop, they won't even take a desposit to order one as they don't know when their orders will be filled.

You always have www.gunbroker.com. While most AR style rifles costs may be somewhat inflated. If you want it, they should have it. Buy it, have it delivered to your FFL, do the paperwork and wait.

I've done it a few times without any problems.

Edited by Dryfire, 03 April 2013 - 03:02 PM.

Dryfire

SARCASM just another service I offer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users