slapshot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,259 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

Interesting match-up. Nearly identical conference records:

Md: 8-10
Iowa: 9-9

Edited by slapshot, 03 April 2013 - 10:26 AM.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take.
I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been.

- Wayne Gretzky

#2 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

didn't turn out to interesting Slap

Iowa dominated them....out worked them and of course the bad Maryland team showed up. You know the one that likes to turn the ball over and shoot poorly.

#3 The Eternal White Belt

The Eternal White Belt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Horribly sloppy in the first half. I hope the PG play really improves next year.

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,681 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Yeah that was a bad game. Good experience though
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#5 durango46

durango46

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Not having Seth Allen didn't help

#6 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Turgeon got outcoached. His postgame comments regarding unfamiliarity with zone defenses spoke volumes to me. After two years on the job, I would have hoped for better progress. If not for Wells (Len is gone), next year might be a disaster. This summer, I hope:

1) Faust works on his ball handling and outside shooting. He's got the foundation but he needs to put in the work.

2) Mitchell converts another 10 pounds to muscle and gains two inches. Expect the former and hope for the latter.

3) Allen heals and grows his playmaking ability

4) Cleare catches up to the pace at the ACC level

5) Layman builds on his late season performance and Turgeon figures out how to incorporate Jake's unique abilities into the O and D. Some coaches don't adjust to their players' talent and instead try to force kids to conform to impractical strategies. In my book, if Layman fails to break out next season it's as much an indictment of Turgeon as anything else.

6) Dodd proves to be a wunderkind surprise with hidden offensive skills

7) Pe gets serious help for his jumpshot

8) Peters proves to be a better ballhandler then many predict.

9) Smotrycz proves to be more than just an oversized shooter

Without Len, the team seems undermanned up front and there's a glaring lack of outside shooting ability. After Wells, Faust and possibly Layman or Allen there's really not a lot to work with but good coaches find a way to stay competitive. I'm hopeful yr 3 will show us Turgeon can coach but I'm curious as to whether others feel three yrs of lackluster performance are an inadequate sample.

#7 slapshot

slapshot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,259 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

didn't turn out to interesting Slap

Iowa dominated them....out worked them and of course the bad Maryland team showed up. You know the one that likes to turn the ball over and shoot poorly.

17 Maryland turn-overs. They got within 4...and then proceeded to turn it over, again. Momentum killer.

Careless/sloppy play.

Md can compete with iowa if they just didn't turn it over so oftern.
You miss 100% of the shots you never take.
I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been.

- Wayne Gretzky

#8 nonstopjoe

nonstopjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

before MD reaches ranked status. GW left a bare cupboard and MT needs at least another recruiting class or two to get the program moving. By 2014 we should see marked improvement - otherwise, MT might be looking for another job.

#9 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

before MD reaches ranked status. GW left a bare cupboard and MT needs at least another recruiting class or two to get the program moving. By 2014 we should see marked improvement - otherwise, MT might be looking for another job.

Hmm. So it comes down to whether Trimble is the real deal or not? I can get my mind around a four year window for a football coach but college basketball coaches IMO need to produce sooner. And, though GW left a depleted roster, he did leave behind a top fifty rated guard and a lottery pick center.

I like Turgeon and I think he is a solid mid-major type coach but he may be over his head in the ACC or B1G. He'll probably get a break during the league switch for continuity sake but those Harrisons, or lack thereof might lead to his ultimate downfall.

#10 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

GW left Turgeon Stoglin, but not Len - Len was signed by Turgeon's staff:

http://www.umterps.c.../082911aaa.html

#11 The Eternal White Belt

The Eternal White Belt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

If I remember correctly, Gary recruited Len and he had already decided to come to MD before Turgeon came on board (he hadn't actually signed/announced anything though). Turgeon just had to convince him to stay with MD and sign the LOI.

#12 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

This is something you won't read often on this board, but:

You're right - I stand corrected. Gary did lay the ground work recruiting Len and then Turge sealed the deal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users