Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

New Forum Design ~ So what do you think?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 octoburn

octoburn

Sarah's Mom Always

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Like all things, it will likely take some getting used to it. I'm finding it a bit difficult to read for some reason but the last change became familiar over time too. :)

#2 canis

canis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

Like all things, it will likely take some getting used to it. I'm finding it a bit difficult to read for some reason but the last change became familiar over time too. :)

That's the way I see it.

#3 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,859 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

I was disappointed to find no User CP, but if you hit "Settings" in the upper right hand corner of the page, it takes you there; even the same URL.
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#4 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,859 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

See also the thread on Nationals.
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#5 octoburn

octoburn

Sarah's Mom Always

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

I wonder if TA might consider reversing the color scheme for the thread titles and the name of the poster who starts the thread on each forum index. The blue ~ at least to me ~ seems like it needs to be bold or darkened, or be in black because the black font currently used for the originating poster's name ~ in black ~ seems to cause the eyes to automatically focus there first, making it a bit more difficult to follow the thread titles when perusing them.

And there really should be new smilies too. The rolleyes looks too happy; the wink and the big grin are too similar to easily distinguish; the EEK! not shocked~looking enough.

We also need a popcorn~eating smilie for me and Baltimore Ken to use on LOCALS and NATIONALS whenever certain topics return so we can indicate our enjoyment in anticipation of the ensuing arguments we know are bound to occur. :)

#6 Hoot

Hoot

Not A Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,444 posts
  • LocationRavenstown

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

It looks very... clean, and bright. ;)

#7 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

My very first impression was, "Oh wow, cool!"

Then went I got to the end of this thread I saw the thing that I've been asking for for the last 10 years, the Quick Navigation to jump to another forum or to jump back to the top of the current forum.

Kudos to the Sun for getting at least one thing right!

:cool:

#8 canis

canis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

I agree on octoburn's comment about the color scheme not being great on the eyes. The gray and gray-blue creates too much of a hazy effect for me. Here's a color scheme that works well for me...

http://www.city-data...#general-forums

#9 Up2DaRack

Up2DaRack

Largo al Factotum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,087 posts
  • LocationRight here! Sheesh!

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

There could be a little more contrast overall, but otherwise the design is cleaner and more straightforward. As with any other change, I'll adjust and I imagine so will others. Oh wait, what about something as important as smilies??? :P

#10 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,954 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

Well there's one thing they didn't change...

#11 octoburn

octoburn

Sarah's Mom Always

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

I like some of the new features. The auto~translation into Spanish~English and English~Spanish will no doubt enhance viewership and increase membership and more diverse opinions from those who might speak English very well.

And now having the option to be able to view the IP addresses might turn out to be a good thing if only because it might make some of the more hateful posters think twice about some of their comments. And especially if they're posting from work. :)

#12 mockingbird

mockingbird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,604 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Very different. Will take some getting used to.

#13 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,954 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

I like some of the new features. The auto~translation into Spanish~English and English~Spanish will no doubt enhance viewership and increase membership and more diverse opinions from those who might speak English very well.

And now having the option to be able to view the IP addresses might turn out to be a good thing if only because it might make some of the more hateful posters think twice about some of their comments. And especially if they're posting from work. :)

Isn't this post a week late for April 1?

#14 octoburn

octoburn

Sarah's Mom Always

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Isn't this post a week late for April 1?

Originalmente Anunciado por Norman

┬┐Es esto no anuncia una semana tarde para 1 de abril?

#15 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

And there really should be new smilies too.

Concur, the new smilies are terrible.

#16 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,354 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

I was disappointed to find no User CP, but if you hit "Settings" in the upper right hand corner of the page, it takes you there; even the same URL.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

#17 regularguy

regularguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,340 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thanks. That had been my only real gripe.

#18 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

its nice and looks like a few others I visit ......

as others have said, it will take some time to get used to and then we won't even remember what the old one looked like........

this is what, the 4th or so new format in the past 10 years and they all seemed like a big changed at the time but now i can't even remember them ......

#19 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Use the wayback machine.

#20 Talk Admin

Talk Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 457 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments. We are looking at the color scheme and design of the new forum, and we will consider your feedback as we look into making changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users