jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,279 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

That's a health code issue

In some jurisdictions it might be, but certainly not all.  Obviously, you can buy a cheeseburger at a beach cabana while wearing only your speedo.  

The bottom line is that we don't require all businesses to serve everyone.  A restaurant can deny service to someone in shorts, or to someone not wearing a tie, as well.  Posh nightclubs can deny entry on your looks alone.  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We are all Keynesians now.
Richard M. Nixon

Cynicism--the intellectual cripple's substitute for intelligence.
Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Eric Hoffer

#82 jtowne-swim

jtowne-swim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

In some jurisdictions it might be, but certainly not all. Obviously, you can buy a cheeseburger at a beach cabana while wearing only your speedo.

The bottom line is that we don't require all businesses to serve everyone. A restaurant can deny service to someone in shorts, or to someone not wearing a tie, as well. Posh nightclubs can deny entry on your looks alone.

First enforcing a health code is not descriminating. Public accomadation s can't discriminate.

A dress code is not descr Minaring. Those are things you can change.

Edited by jtowne-swim, 19 February 2017 - 06:53 PM.

In 20 years....... when global warming causes the polar ice caps to melt....... and the whole planet floods. Swimmers will rule the World:cool: !

ACTION....ADVENTURE.....EXCITEMENT....A Jedi seeks not these things.:D
-Master Yoda

#83 Fang

Fang

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

Can a restaurant refuse service to shirtless barefoot people?

You actually want to debate the difference between refusing service to a group of people based on their sexual orientation versus people who don't abide by a dress code?

#84 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,279 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:01 PM

You actually want to debate the difference between refusing service to a group of people based on their sexual orientation versus people who don't abide by a dress code?

No.  Just trying to show that there are limits so we can debate where they should be set and whether a business owner should be allowed to set them, or if we need the Federal government involved.  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Richard M. Nixon

Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Eric Hoffer

#85 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,533 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

No.  Just trying to show that there are limits so we can debate where they should be set and whether a business owner should be allowed to set them, or if we need the Federal government involved.  

The federal government set them back in 1964.  States and localities have also set them.

Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#86 Fang

Fang

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:55 AM

The example you gave isn't a civil rights violation. Let's go through a few examples...

My basement floods and I call a plumber. The plumber comes out and and somehow detects my basement is flooded with carbon monoxide. He refuses to service my house. Civil Rights violation?

That same plumber is called to fix a leaking pipe in another house. The plumber shows up at the house and thinks the owner is gay. He refuses to fix the pipe. Civil Rights violation?

I'm sure in the second example some would say the home owner could just call another plumber, right? But if you've ever had a leaking pipe, broken sump pump and a flooded basement then you know time is crucial. Also, what if it's 3am and he's the only plumber you can get a hold of at the moment? The point is if a bakery can refuse to bake a cake, then where do you draw the line? Allowing a business to say no based on race or sexual orientation opens up a dangerous precedent.

#87 jdsample

jdsample

The Doctor is In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,279 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:24 AM

The example you gave isn't a civil rights violation. Let's go through a few examples...

My basement floods and I call a plumber. The plumber comes out and and somehow detects my basement is flooded with carbon monoxide. He refuses to service my house. Civil Rights violation?

That same plumber is called to fix a leaking pipe in another house. The plumber shows up at the house and thinks the owner is gay. He refuses to fix the pipe. Civil Rights violation?

I'm sure in the second example some would say the home owner could just call another plumber, right? But if you've ever had a leaking pipe, broken sump pump and a flooded basement then you know time is crucial. Also, what if it's 3am and he's the only plumber you can get a hold of at the moment? The point is if a bakery can refuse to bake a cake, then where do you draw the line? Allowing a business to say no based on race or sexual orientation opens up a dangerous precedent.

The first plumber is smart.  The second. stupid.  Does the Fed need to involve themselves in either case?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Richard M. Nixon

Joseph Russell Lynes Jr.

Eric Hoffer

#88 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,533 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:29 AM

The first plumber is smart.  The second. stupid.  Does the Fed need to involve themselves in either case?

The federal government does not prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#89 Fang

Fang

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:31 PM

The first case no. The second case yes. Federal Law should prohibit a business to refuse service based on sexual orientation. (I'm not saying there is currently a law. I'm saying this should be law.)

Edited by Fang, 21 February 2017 - 12:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users