26 replies to this topic

#1 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

http://www.weeklysta...ain_722331.html

"Our house is on fire," said Pelley. The video of Pelley's speech is courtesy of nowthisnews.com.

"These have been a bad few months for journalism," he added. "We're getting the big stories wrong, over and over again."

The CBS newsreader was quick to take at least partial blame. "Let me take the first arrow: During our coverage of Newtown, I sat on my set and I reported that Nancy Lanza was a teacher at the school. And that her son had attacked her classroom. It's a hell of a story, but it was dead wrong. Now, I was the managing editor, I made the decision to go ahead with that and I did, and that's what I said, and I was absolutely wrong. So let me just take the first arrow here."

If Pelley sees it, hopefully others in his business see it, too. The only way to fix a problem is to recognize that you have one. The news business seems to have gotten to the point that "getting it first" is more important than "getting it right".

#2 flyboy56

flyboy56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

If Pelley sees it, hopefully others in his business see it, too. The only way to fix a problem is to recognize that you have one. The news business seems to have gotten to the point that "getting it first" is more important than "getting it right".

Sounds like Obama and the Benghazi fiasco. Let's get it out there first and worry about getting it right later, if we even worry about getting it out there later. By then hopefully we will have won reelection.

#3 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,474 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

I doubt that anyone would argue that getting it right isn't more important. As it stands though, a news agency will get more page hits from getting it first, thus more ad revenue. Aside from an occasional bout of shame, there's really no bad consequences. Just look at the success of FOX news, which seems almost prideful about being wrong, and that is a highly successful news agency. If people cared, they might do something about it, but right now news agencies are rewarded for being first and wrong.

#4 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Sounds like Obama and the Benghazi fiasco. Let's get it out there first and worry about getting it right later, if we even worry about getting it out there later. By then hopefully we will have won reelection.

No, it's actually more like people on internet forums saying that Obama sat in the White House and watched the attack unfold on video in real time when that is absolutely not the case. You know, kind of like some of the stuff you keep repeating over and over again even though people keep contradicting your erroneous statements with the actual facts.

That's what his talk is really about.

#5 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,422 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

All media often focus's on get it first then get it right.

#6 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,790 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

If Pelley sees it, hopefully others in his business see it, too. The only way to fix a problem is to recognize that you have one. The news bsiness seems to have gotten to the point that "getting it first" is more important than "getting it right".

That's what happens when you imitate Fox News. But at least somebody at CNN gives a

#7 Omahabeach

Omahabeach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

I doubt that anyone would argue that getting it right isn't more important. As it stands though, a news agency will get more page hits from getting it first, thus more ad revenue. Aside from an occasional bout of shame, there's really no bad consequences. Just look at the success of FOX news, which seems almost prideful about being wrong, and that is a highly successful news agency. If people cared, they might do something about it, but right now news agencies are rewarded for being first and wrong.

Some examples of Fox getting it wrong?

#8 Troubadour

Troubadour

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Benghazi ? That was too easy.

#9 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,580 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

There's not enough bandwidth.

#10 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

That's what happens when you imitate Fox News. But at least somebody at CNN gives a

You mean the same CNN that first broke the story of an arrest in the Boston marathon bombing when there was none, and recently staged a "remote" interview between Nancy Grace and Ashleigh Banfield when they were in reality both in the same parking lot? Dedicated to the truth, aren't they?

http://www.theatlant...king-lot/64965/

#11 TheResearcher

TheResearcher

Debonair, Handsome, Intelligent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,764 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

Months? Try years. If CBS investigative reporters did some, you know, investigations of Hussein, instead of worshiping him, they might actually stumble on some news.

#12 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,580 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

You mean the same CNN that first broke the story of an arrest in the Boston marathon bombing when there was none, and recently staged a "remote" interview between Nancy Grace and Ashleigh Banfield when they were in reality both in the same parking lot? Dedicated to the truth, aren't they?

http://www.theatlant...king-lot/64965/

Nancy Grace is a prime example of what is wrong with TV "news" channels.

#13 songfourone

songfourone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Obama and Benghazi fiasco? More like the RWNJ's lie fest and you are the king kahuna of lies.

WH watched real time. Indeed.

#14 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,422 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

Months? Try years. If CBS investigative reporters did some, you know, investigations of Hussein, instead of worshiping him, they might actually stumble on some news.

And for 8 years Fox treated Bush the way Monica treated Bill except Fox digested!

#15 Cameron

Cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,212 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

Pelley and I do not agree about what is a "big story."

The press has much to answer for, but making ordinary mistakes is no big deal.

#16 TheResearcher

TheResearcher

Debonair, Handsome, Intelligent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,764 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

And for 8 years Fox treated Bush the way Monica treated Bill except Fox digested!

I wouldn't know because I do not watch FNC. You obviously are glued to the channel to be able to make that claim without providing any proof.

#17 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,580 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:44 AM

I wouldn't know because I do not watch FNC.

We believe you too.:rolleyes::D

You obviously are glued to the channel to be able to make that claim without providing any proof.

Who needs proof when you have Fox News and The Post?:D

#18 demopublican

demopublican

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

The few agencies that take time for verified sources are left in the dust by Internet sites that could care less about antiquated ideas like journalistic ethics. It does seem like people would seek out a new source that consistently gets it right. Every time one of these large stories hits it would be nice to know that there was one site that had only verified accurate information.

#19 Lawman 27

Lawman 27

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

All media often focus's on get it first then get it right.

I would argue that. As a (former) BPD Officer I got to watch as the local news would come onto a crime scene AND GET THE STORY ALL WRONG. Even when the media would come back later for a follow-up, they would find and interview local residents who weren't even witnesses.

So, I don't think the media is in a rush to get the story out (thus causing their errors). I think they need to slant the news to fit their 'views' and they don't really care about the facts.

#20 Wizard777

Wizard777

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,146 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

You mean Mountain the network formerly known as Fox?

Edited by Mom49of4, 12 May 2013 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users