and against the bottom of that order

can you say meltdown

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,355 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

I feel like I've heard this before somewhere on this forum.

Oh well, that guy was probably a moron. I'm sure nobody agreed with him.

#3 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

This is beyond a crisis now. He's blowing the season by himself. I don't know what we can do at this point though.

#4 Bassman

Bassman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

He may not be done, but he certainly needs to be temporarily removed from the closer's role.

#5 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,519 posts

Enough's enough.

He was given a chance to work his way out of it and he hasn't.

#6 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,355 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

#7 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Right wing lie debunker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,544 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

We cannot keep letting this clown ruin our season. Wake up Buck!

#8 sonnyfla

sonnyfla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

This loss is on Buck. Johnson should have been pulled after the third batter. Buck has too much undeserved confidence in Big Jim. Set him down for a while.

#9 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,549 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Where have you gone [insert sucky closer of yesteryear*]? Oriole Nation turns it lonely eyes to you.

*Suggestions include Armando Benitez, Jorge Julio, Kevin Gregg and Mike Gonzalez.

#10 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

This team has played well enough to be 31-19 or 30-20 and in 1st place instead of 27-23.

I am still just shell-shocked at what I saw in the 9th today. I think I'm going to drink heavily tonight. :)

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

This team has played well enough to be 31-19 or 30-20 and in 1st place instead of 27-23.

I am still just shell-shocked at what I saw in the 9th today. I think I'm going to drink heavily tonight. :)

Is it going to be Orange Kool-Aid? :cool: The problem with Johnson is he's just not throwing enough strikes and is getting behind a lot of hitters. You can tell his confidence has taken a big hit and this game is certainly not going to help that. But what do you do? I suppose you could make Tommy Hunter your closer and see if that works for a game or two. Or maybe Steve Johnson. Who knows. This is the one thing about modern baseball that makes me want to puke- that you're required to bring a closer in a game, regardless how well the starter or previous pitcher is throwing. Until pitchers start proving(with the assistance of the manager of course) that they can actually pitch a complete game and nothing catastrophic is going to happen to them physically, this idiotic strategy will continue on indefinetly. I hate it with a passion.

#12 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

Is it going to be Orange Kool-Aid? :cool: The problem with Johnson is he's just not throwing enough strikes and is getting behind a lot of hitters. You can tell his confidence has taken a big hit and this game is certainly not going to help that. But what do you do? I suppose you could make Tommy Hunter your closer and see if that works for a game or two. Or maybe Steve Johnson. Who knows. This is the one thing about modern baseball that makes me want to puke- that you're required to bring a closer in a game, regardless how well the starter or previous pitcher is throwing. Until pitchers start proving(with the assistance of the manager of course) that they can actually pitch a complete game and nothing catastrophic is going to happen to them physically, this idiotic strategy will continue on indefinetly. I hate it with a passion.

You're not required to do that but remind of the last team that won a pennant with a "closer by committee" approach.

Hunter or Matsuz are the only ones I can think of who could close.

I will say this. It is amazing to watch a guy get 73 saves out of 82 chances suddenly become a bum. What a great bunch of fans.

#13 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Let Matusz close.

#14 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

You're not required to do that but remind of the last team that won a pennant with a "closer by committee" approach.

Hunter or Matsuz are the only ones I can think of who could close.

I will say this. It is amazing to watch a guy get 73 saves out of 82 chances suddenly become a bum. What a great bunch of fans.

Just think before his struggles of the last couple of weeks he had had 35 saves in a row and was lauded as the best closer in baseball. Now a large portion of the fans want to see him get his walking papers for 3 blown saves.

JJ will pitch himself out of this and come August or September people won't even give these struggles a second thought.

:cool:

#15 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,355 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Just think before his struggles of the last couple of weeks he had had 35 saves in a row and was lauded as the best closer in baseball. Now a large portion of the fans want to see him get his walking papers for 3 blown saves.

JJ will pitch himself out of this and come August or September people won't even give these struggles a second thought.

If Johnson continues to close, in September the Orioles won't be a second thought.

#16 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,549 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

The obvious immediate candidates for closer are Hunter and O'Day. I don't think Matusz is one.

If a save situation presents itself tomorrow I would expect to see O'Day.

#17 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

He's had a bad 10 game stretch - he's not done.
He just needs to fix his mechanics - he's dropping his shoulder when he strides.

#18 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

If Johnson continues to close, in September the Orioles won't be a second thought.

You kept prediciting the Orioles demise last year Slide. Didn't you learn anything from that?

JJ is no different than any other player that goes through the ups and downs of a baseball season. How does a player get out of a funk? He plays until pulls himself out of it. JJ will just have to do the same.

#19 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,506 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

The obvious immediate candidates for closer are Hunter and O'Day. I don't think Matusz is one.

If a save situation presents itself tomorrow I would expect to see O'Day.

Buck has already said in an interview that it will be Johnson if he's healthy. Unless he changed his tune at the post game press conference.

#20 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,355 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

You kept prediciting the Orioles demise last year Slide. Didn't you learn anything from that?

JJ is no different than any other player that goes through the ups and downs of a baseball season. How does a player get out of a funk? He plays until pulls himself out of it. JJ will just have to do the same.

Except when other players slump, they don't directly cost the team games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users