Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

According to inside Lacrosse twitter

#2 Marchetti

Marchetti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

As a longggggg time Johns Hopkins lacrosse fan (while I hate all the conference jumping and movement)...I absolutely LOVE this move.
It should help grow the sport nationally.

:cool:

#3 slapshot

slapshot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,886 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

This blew my mind....

From the Indy Star -

"Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore has joined the Big Ten as a “sport affiliate member” in men’s lacrosse, allowing the league to add men’s and women’s lacrosse starting in 2014-15.

Big Ten rules allow the conference to sponsor a sport when at least six members have an NCAA Division I program. Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Johns Hopkins, Maryland and Rutgers have lacrosse programs. Maryland and Rutgers join the Big Ten in all sports beginning next summer.

Northwestern, a seven-time NCAA champion, will be the sixth member school in women’s lacrosse. Johns Hopkins is not joining the Big Ten in women’s lacrosse.

Most of John Hopkins’ sports are played at the Division III level, but its lacrosse program is a national power, having made 41 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances before that streak was snapped this year. The Blue Jays have won nine NCAA titles."

#4 Marchetti

Marchetti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Why did it blow your mind? Hopkins being a National power is common knowledge around here and in the east.

#5 slapshot

slapshot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,886 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

Why did it blow your mind? Hopkins being a National power is common knowledge around here and in the east.

Because I've never heard the big ten giving "affiliate" status before? They never did it for hockey.

#6 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,447 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

I was told by someone that should know that the are more moves coming and that the Big 10 will be the premier lacrosse league in just a few years.

#7 slapshot

slapshot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,886 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

I was told by someone that should know that the are more moves coming and that the Big 10 will be the premier lacrosse league in just a few years.

That's very interesting news.

Unless they pull from the ACC or Ivy (won't happen), I can't imagine who would have that kind of impact?

Care to share more intel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users