Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Gilman To Play Three Nationally Televised Games!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

It's now been announced that Gilman will play Good Counsel, Manatee and Paramus Catholic all on national TV! This is a first for a Maryland school. Kudos to Tim Holley and Biff Poggi for putting together another insane schedule. Might be the toughest schedule in school history. Guru, this is how you challenge your team. This is why kids want to come to Gilman, play the best teams and to be showcased.

As far as the team goes, they could very well start the season 0-3. Paramus Catholic is a Top 25 team, Manatee will be as well. GC, I see as a Top 50 team this year. I think Gilman is better than GC this year but we will see. The season will rest on the shoulders of two QB's IMO. Word is that both Kai Locksley and Kasim Hill will both play at the Qb position. Word is Kasim Hill looks AMAZING! Crazy to think this kid is just a rising 9th grader. He's so good that they have to have him on the field. And the offense has been CHANGED, thank GOD! Can't wait until the season starts!

#2 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Too bad the Giman-DeMatha series ended, MaxPreps seems to think they're the best team in the state by far on paper, ranking them #20 in their Top 25

Why wasn't Gilman at the St. Paul's 7 on 7?

I'd think if you have 2 QBs who have never played the position at the HS level that you'd want them to get all the reps they can get.

#3 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Too bad the Giman-DeMatha series ended, MaxPreps seems to think they're the best team in the state by far on paper, ranking them #20 in their Top 25

Why wasn't Gilman at the St. Paul's 7 on 7?

I'd think if you have 2 QBs who have never played the position at the HS level that you'd want them to get all the reps they can get.

On paper DeMatha is definitely the best team on paper. We will see if that pans out in the field. I believe a few of their players might be slightly overrated.

I'm pretty sure Gilman will be playing in a few different 7 on 7 leagues. Should be very interesting to see how they do. They have a couple of kids injured though, like Korey Stevens. Who I think is going to be a superstar. I also believe Dorian Maddox wasn't 100% during track season. Maybe they didn't feel at full strength to compete at St. Paul's.

#4 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

It's now been announced that Gilman will play Good Counsel, Manatee and Paramus Catholic all on national TV! This is a first for a Maryland school. Kudos to Tim Holley and Biff Poggi for putting together another insane schedule. Might be the toughest schedule in school history. Guru, this is how you challenge your team. This is why kids want to come to Gilman, play the best teams and to be showcased.

As far as the team goes, they could very well start the season 0-3. Paramus Catholic is a Top 25 team, Manatee will be as well. GC, I see as a Top 50 team this year. I think Gilman is better than GC this year but we will see. The season will rest on the shoulders of two QB's IMO. Word is that both Kai Locksley and Kasim Hill will both play at the Qb position. Word is Kasim Hill looks AMAZING! Crazy to think this kid is just a rising 9th grader. He's so good that they have to have him on the field. And the offense has been CHANGED, thank GOD! Can't wait until the season starts!

This is almost almost almost exactly what you said this time last year about your beloved Gilman squad. That is, they could go 0 -3 out the gate. I believe you opined that Gilman was better than GC and on and on. But I also clearly sensed you thought Gilman wasn't as good as you thought after that first game against Moeller and that the dawgs were just the big pups in the lil MIAA pound and you were correct in stating they would walk through the MIAA for yet another championship.

Will this season be just more of the same? That is, just a three game season out of the blocks and we can just call it a wrap?

#5 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

This is almost almost almost exactly what you said this time last year about your beloved Gilman squad. That is, they could go 0 -3 out the gate. I believe you opined that Gilman was better than GC and on and on. But I also clearly sensed you thought Gilman wasn't as good as you thought after that first game against Moeller and that the dawgs were just the big pups in the lil MIAA pound and you were correct in stating they would walk through the MIAA for yet another championship.

Will this season be just more of the same? That is, just a three game season out of the blocks and we can just call it a wrap?

I have already stated that since the MIAA has now scrapped the playoffs, whoever wins the MIAA title is a paper champion. Means completely nothing in my opinion. So these 3 games mean absolutely everything for their season.

I truly believe that Gilman should be better than GC this year. There's two question marks and that's LB and QB play. I'm more worried about LB play than anything else. I personally hope they move Melvin Keihn to his natural position of OLB. I believe Gilman has enough DL talent to replace him at DE, including the consensus #1 recruit in the DMV(and one of the top in the country) in Camaron Spence. Who at 6'4 265 is already Varsity ready. Everything coming out of Gilman is that the QB's Locksley and Hill are special. GC had some serious questions, especially at the QB position!

Beating Manatee and Paramus is a different animal. Manatee just destroyed a Florida powerhouse in their spring game. They just reload! Paramus is STACKED! I don't think Gilman runs through the MIAA like they did last year but I believe they will win. Next year is the year I believe that Gilman will be Top 10 sort of team nationally, especially now with a new offense.

#6 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

On paper DeMatha is definitely the best team on paper. We will see if that pans out in the field. I believe a few of their players might be slightly overrated.

I'm pretty sure Gilman will be playing in a few different 7 on 7 leagues. Should be very interesting to see how they do. They have a couple of kids injured though, like Korey Stevens. Who I think is going to be a superstar. I also believe Dorian Maddox wasn't 100% during track season. Maybe they didn't feel at full strength to compete at St. Paul's.

Where is ESPN going to put cameras for the Good Counsel game? Isn't it at Gilman? That "stadium" isn't exactly conducive to a professional television broadcast. You'd need multiple scissor lifts to get the cameras high enough and there's no place for the announcers to broadcast from.

As long as Gilman beats Good Counsel and GC beats DeMatha, there will be no debate over who's better. Paramus is ranked #21 and Manatee isn't ranked by MaxPreps.
Gilman may be playing in the 7 on 7 passing league at St. Paul's that starts Thursday. The article is on Varsity Sports Network but I refuse to pay the $5 monthly subscription they're asking for to read anything now considering the quality of content they deliver. As far as I know, they've never competed in the state 7 on 7 tourney.

McDonogh's going to have an interesting QB competition this year too. They played 2 (Jansen Durham and a kid I didn't recognize) at St. Paul's and both looked pretty good. This is a year where I think McDonogh will look better in pads than in 7 on 7, so this success at St. Paul's was a good sign

#7 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

Where is ESPN going to put cameras for the Good Counsel game? Isn't it at Gilman? That "stadium" isn't exactly conducive to a professional television broadcast. You'd need multiple scissor lifts to get the cameras high enough and there's no place for the announcers to broadcast from.

As long as Gilman beats Good Counsel and GC beats DeMatha, there will be no debate over who's better. Paramus is ranked #21 and Manatee isn't ranked by MaxPreps.
Gilman may be playing in the 7 on 7 passing league at St. Paul's that starts Thursday. The article is on Varsity Sports Network but I refuse to pay the $5 monthly subscription they're asking for to read anything now considering the quality of content they deliver. As far as I know, they've never competed in the state 7 on 7 tourney.

McDonogh's going to have an interesting QB competition this year too. They played 2 (Jansen Durham and a kid I didn't recognize) at St. Paul's and both looked pretty good. This is a year where I think McDonogh will look better in pads than in 7 on 7, so this success at St. Paul's was a good sign

The Gilman-GC game will be played at Towson. I saw that Manatee wasn't in the top 25 early list for Maxpreps but I suspect that after their spring game that this will change when the official list comes out.

I agree with you, no way will I pay $5 for VSN. I think McDonogh has finally came to their senses and getting a better off-season regiment. They have some serious talent and could very well win the MIAA. I think they lack Gilman's depth and this will be an issue. The key will be QB and DL play. They are fine at the other skill positions.

#8 MarylandFootball

MarylandFootball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

The Gilman-GC game will be played at Towson. I saw that Manatee wasn't in the top 25 early list for Maxpreps but I suspect that after their spring game that this will change when the official list comes out.

I agree with you, no way will I pay $5 for VSN. I think McDonogh has finally came to their senses and getting a better off-season regiment. They have some serious talent and could very well win the MIAA. I think they lack Gilman's depth and this will be an issue. The key will be QB and DL play. They are fine at the other skill positions.

Slow your role GA. The Gilman/Paramus game will not be nationally televised and I doubt if the Good Counsel game will be as well. Neither team will be ranked in the top 40. I spoke to Lamar Smith who is organizing the Classic in New Jersey and he mentioned the Paramus game will be televised in NJ/NY/Connecticut on the Madison Square Garden network. Gilman is good but not good enough for 3 ESPN games.

#9 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Slow your role GA. The Gilman/Paramus game will not be nationally televised and I doubt if the Good Counsel game will be as well. Neither team will be ranked in the top 40. I spoke to Lamar Smith who is organizing the Classic in New Jersey and he mentioned the Paramus game will be televised in NJ/NY/Connecticut on the Madison Square Garden network. Gilman is good but not good enough for 3 ESPN games.

GC/Gilman is definitely on ESPN and the reason why it was moved to Towson. Game was suppose to be at Gilman. And you obviously don't know what you're talking about, Paramus is already ranked #21 in the first Poll out(Maxpreps). They are consensus Top team in NJ and will be on everyone's Top 25!

#10 MarylandFootball

MarylandFootball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

I would love for the GC/Gilman to be on ESPN. It would be more exposure for all of Maryland. It's only being discussed right now nothing confirmed.

#11 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,142 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

Wonder how many games Biff will back out of? I would love to hear what the drunken windbag Joe Ehrmann has to say about Biff quitting on his players and his State? Not very man boy loving or something Jesus would do is it? Legends in their own mind over there.

#12 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,279 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Wonder how many games Biff will back out of? I would love to hear what the drunken windbag Joe Ehrmann has to say about Biff quitting on his players and his State? Not very man boy loving or something Jesus would do is it? Legends in their own mind over there.

Damn, why don't you tell us how you really feel? Did Biff take your lunch money when you were young?

#13 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,142 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

Damn, why don't you tell us how you really feel? Did Biff take your lunch money when you were young?

No. But it wouldn't kill him to skip a few lunches. Hershey too far for his wife's limo to haul Boss Hog?

Edited by Brohan, 15 June 2013 - 02:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users