• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 georjec2

georjec2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

The move by the American Medical Assn. board means that one-third of adults and 17% of children in the U.S. have a medical condition that requires treatment.

The American Medical Assn. voted Tuesday to declare obesity a disease, a move that effectively defines 78 million American adults and 12 million children as having a medical condition requiring treatment.

The nation's leading physicians organization took the vote after debating whether the action would do more to help affected patients get useful treatment or would further stigmatize a condition with many causes and few easy fixes.

You think SS/SSI is abused now ?
I can envision fat people across America with bad backs, bad knees, bad lungs, bad hearts sitting in front the TV at 9:45am watching a commercial break from the Maury show about a lawyer who promises to get you the SS benefits you deserve. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, they will become a protected class with entitlements to special treatment and consideration which I fear will be sorely abused. You think Walmart has some scooters now ? Just wait, even without Walmarts scooters there will still be the fleet of scooters we will supply as taxpayers and have to dodge as we wheel our carts through the isles.

Maybe I'm too cynical but I don't know if that Pandora's box should have been opened at this time.

:confused:

AMA

#2 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,496 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

ok, I get the part about needing treatment ......

what I am not buying is that its not preventable .........

I guess food is like cigarettes for these folks .....

everyone is a victim these days, even people that can't stop eating .......

just in time for obama care to ride to the rescue :rolleyes: ......

#3 georjec2

georjec2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

ok, I get the part about needing treatment ......

what I am not buying is that its not preventable .........

I guess food is like cigarettes for these folks .....

everyone is a victim these days, even people that can't stop eating .......

just in time for obama care to ride to the rescue :rolleyes: ......

It doesn't matter if Obamacare existed or not it would still cost just as much or more to the taxpayer. Wouldn't it ?

#4 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,496 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

It doesn't matter if Obamacare existed or not it would still cost just as much or more to the taxpayer. Wouldn't it ?

i think its a pretty safe bet on the or more .......

#5 bmorepunk

bmorepunk

I Can't Read Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Kind of hard to take these guys seriuosly when they arbitrarily use BMI as a measure of who's "healthy", "overweight", or "obese". I'm borderline "obese", but I'm not fat. Idiots.

#6 georjec2

georjec2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

35 lbs over the highest best weight is what the doctors considered obese. The is no BMI issue for the people I consider obese. They're the people you see and try not to stare at the fact that they're eating while walking down the street as though they'd starve before they get home.
Chubby, plump a little thick is not what I think about when I think of obese. Obese is what 7 out of 10 black women I see are.

#7 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

35 lbs over the highest best weight is what the doctors considered obese. The is no BMI issue for the people I consider obese. They're the people you see and try not to stare at the fact that they're eating while walking down the street as though they'd starve before they get home.
Chubby, plump a little thick is not what I think about when I think of obese. Obese is what 7 out of 10 black women I see are.

How many obese white women do you see?

#8 georjec2

georjec2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

How many obese white women do you see?

3.5 out 10.

#9 boink

boink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,210 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

According to the CDC, 39% of black non-Hispanic women are obese, 29% Hispanic, and 22% White non-Hispanic

That's a lot of hefty women.

http://www.cdc.gov/f...ults/index.html

#10 Hexexis

Hexexis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

Kind of hard to take these guys seriuosly when they arbitrarily use BMI as a measure of ...

Unfortunately, for any of the "mil.-can-do-no-wrong" types, this biz began in the armed forces in the early 80s, when the br*******s running the Pentagon decided everyone needed to look the same in uniform. That probably went over well on the parade deck, which is where much of that expanded Defense budget of the time was going.

Anyway, the "BMI" acro. was tossed about more often than "T/O" or "AO." We had one 18-K hillbilly gunner, who often smoked half a pack instead of eating & was genuinely "scrawny," but he got nailed for 13, 14% BMI cuz his neck was thick! (This is what he was told anyway.)

He was practically in tears @the thought of joining the fatties' run. Took me a week of cajoling the XO to take hillbilly gunner off the weight control list, but I knew then that no one in charge gave a flyin' road apple about "the men."

#11 georjec2

georjec2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

According to the CDC, 39% of black non-Hispanic women are obese, 29% Hispanic, and 22% White non-Hispanic

That's a lot of hefty women.

http://www.cdc.gov/f...ults/index.html

That's pretty much what I see when ever I switch on the TV or go outdoors.

#12 georjec2

georjec2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

Unfortunately, for any of the "mil.-can-do-no-wrong" types, this biz began in the armed forces in the early 80s, when the br*******s running the Pentagon decided everyone needed to look the same in uniform. That probably went over well on the parade deck, which is where much of that expanded Defense budget of the time was going.

Anyway, the "BMI" acro. was tossed about more often than "T/O" or "AO." We had one 18-K hillbilly gunner, who often smoked half a pack instead of eating & was genuinely "scrawny," but he got nailed for 13, 14% BMI cuz his neck was thick! (This is what he was told anyway.)

He was practically in tears @the thought of joining the fatties' run. Took me a week of cajoling the XO to take hillbilly gunner off the weight control list, but I knew then that no one in charge gave a flyin' road apple about "the men."

BMI is not what I go by. I go buy what my eyes can see and I see fat and obese women , especially in the black community, in such large numberes that I wonder what it will do for the lawyers and to Social Security.

#13 Hexexis

Hexexis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:39 AM

...I go buy what my eyes can see and I see fat and obese women , ...

Then you go buy them, right? Un-mother-freakin'-believable!

#14 georjec2

georjec2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

I know your not quibbling about a typo when so much more is at stake regarding the burgeoning obesity epedemic...are you ?

;)

I hope being fat fails at becoming a fashion.

#15 rinaric15

rinaric15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

Well put. I'm sick of all these fat tubs of crap sobbing about how hard they have it, their knees hurt, they have to pay more for airplane tickets, everybody stares, I can't find clothes that fit etc...all while inhaling a double 1/4 pounder with bacon, large fries, apple pie, and, a huge soda. Also, your statement about inactive kids is right on the mark. I see kids all the time that think playing a football video game is exercise. It's not. We need to stop all this nonsense of eliminating gym from schools because it makes the fat kids feel bad. Well, guess what fatso, if you did a little exercise (more than waddling to the fridge), you might lose a little weight. and not be such an easy target at dodgeball.

#16 georjec2

georjec2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Well put. I'm sick of all these fat tubs of crap sobbing about how hard they have it, their knees hurt, they have to pay more for airplane tickets, everybody stares, I can't find clothes that fit etc...all while inhaling a double 1/4 pounder with bacon, large fries, apple pie, and, a huge soda. Also, your statement about inactive kids is right on the mark. I see kids all the time that think playing a football video game is exercise. It's not. We need to stop all this nonsense of eliminating gym from schools because it makes the fat kids feel bad. Well, guess what fatso, if you did a little exercise (more than waddling to the fridge), you might lose a little weight. and not be such an easy target at dodgeball.

I don't have enough fingers and toes to county how many obese people  I frequently see eating while walking down the street or on the bus or subway. Can't wait to get home, just starving !!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users