Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

At the Break: Chris Davis Home Runs

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: How many home runs will Chris Davis have at the end of the season? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

How many home runs will Chris Davis have at the end of the season?

1. 37-49 (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

2. 50-61 (15 votes [83.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

3. 62+ (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

Currently at 37, on a pace for 62. Where will he finish?

Edited by LarryN, 15 July 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#2 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,574 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

At this pace, he would almost have to get injured not to hit 50, on the other hand keeping up this current pace seems somewhat unlikely so I vote 51-60.

#3 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

I think he'll break Maris' record of 61. Of the games left, 45 out of 66 are at favorable ballparks: 32 at OPACY, 6 at Fenway, 4 at Tampa Bay, and 3 at Toronto. And if you count the 3 games at Yankee Stadium with the short right-field, that would make 48.

#4 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

54. He is going to see less and less pitches to hit.

#5 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

Especially if Wieters continues to be behind him in the batting order. (notice how I didn't say "hit behind him"?)

#6 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,884 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

Why do they pitch to him now??

#7 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Most of the time they don't. He rarely sees any kind of good pitch to hit anymore. Of course, that hasn't stopped him from getting to 37 before the break, so maybe (hopefully) I am wrong and he stays patient, keeps working at bats, and hammers it whenever he gets a somewhat decent pitch.

I would love to see the post by SNAFU above be true, so I really hope my guess is low.

#8 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,898 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

He'll finish with 51.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

in all honesty, I don't know. with AJ swinging at anything they roll across the outside of the plate, and with MW popping up weakly to the in field, I can't see any reason to pitch to him. the only reasoning I can come up with is that opposing teams don't feel like a solo HR will hurt them.

I hope the AJ we saw in the toronto series is the guy who comes back from the AS break. he wasn't swinging at that low and away garbage, which led to walks, and then led to hits.

#10 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

in all honesty, I don't know. with AJ swinging at anything they roll across the outside of the plate, and with MW popping up weakly to the in field, I can't see any reason to pitch to him. the only reasoning I can come up with is that opposing teams don't feel like a solo HR will hurt them.

I hope the AJ we saw in the toronto series is the guy who comes back from the AS break. he wasn't swinging at that low and away garbage, which led to walks, and then led to hits.

He wasn't swinging at them but it took everything he had for him to lay off of them. He must have started and checked his swing on that low and away garbage 7 or 8 times. Baby steps.

#11 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

The only one who had these numbers before (non-juiced, not counting Bonds or McGwire) was Reggie - he had 37 at the break and finished with only 47.

I think 55 is within reach.

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

The only one who had these numbers before (non-juiced, not counting Bonds or McGwire) was Reggie - he had 37 at the break and finished with only 47.

I think 55 is within reach.

I heard that Reggie stat. he had a major power outtage the 2nd half. I know it's not likely that a batter will hit with as much power in the 2nd half, but 10 in 3 months is pretty anemic.

#13 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

I'll stick with the 50-54 I guesstimated in the "Will He Hit Over 50 HRs?" poll a few weeks ago.

I'd expect a bit of a slowdown as the summer heat wears the everyday players down, but he has shown such power that I really don't expect an extended slump.

#14 reg_indy

reg_indy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,203 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

I'll stick with the 50-54 I guesstimated in the "Will He Hit Over 50 HRs?" poll a few weeks ago.

I'd expect a bit of a slowdown as the summer heat wears the everyday players down, but he has shown such power that I really don't expect an extended slump.

He'll hit at least 15 more, by accident.....

#15 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

He'll hit at least 15 more, by accident.....

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess in some ways I'm a bit like slidemaster; if my expectations are lowered, the reward feels greater.

Also, I am only marginally considering the projected number which probably increased quite a bit in the last four days since he hit HRs in four straight games to close out the first half (actually closer to 60%) of the season.

#16 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,732 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

If they keep pitching to him the same way he will have over 60. His opposite field power makes it nearly impossible for him not to get it.
If he gets injured or they start walking him more, then he will only have 50-55.

#17 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,898 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yeah the opposite field power really makes it tough to pitch him. I wasn't around for Reggie but every clip I see of him, he's pulling it out to RF.

#18 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Uh oh! Crush hurts his hand at the HR Derby. We might have to lower our projections.

#19 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

He's going to see fewer pitches and will get walked more in tight situations.

I expect he'll hit 55. Remember, there are not 81 games left- more like 67!

#20 reg_indy

reg_indy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,203 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

Yeah the opposite field power really makes it tough to pitch him. I wasn't around for Reggie but every clip I see of him, he's pulling it out to RF.

One of the moszt amazing things I ever saw was Reggie in the All Star game at old Tiger Stadium, hitting one off the light tower in right field...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users