Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
songfourone

Canadian-born Ted Cruz says “facts are clear” he’s eligible to be president

183 posts in this topic

Sen. Ted Cruz rejected questions Sunday over his eligibility to be president, saying that although he was born in Canada “the facts are clear” that he’s a U.S. citizen. “My mother was born in Wilmington, Delaware. She’s a U.S. citizen, so I’m a U.S. citizen by birth,” Cruz told ABC. “I’m not going to engage in a legal debate.” The Texas senator was born in Calgary, where his mother and father were working in the oil business. His father, Rafael Cruz, left Cuba in the 1950s to study at the University of Texas and subsequently became a naturalized citizen.

President Obama has been hounded by critics who contend he was born outside the U.S. and, therefore, ineligible to win the White House. Obama was born in Hawaii. But some Democratic critics have taken the same charge against Obama by so-called “birthers” and turned it against Cruz. Both Cruz and Obama share one thing in common — both were born to mothers who were American citizens. The Supreme Court has not definitively ruled on presidential eligibility requirements. But a congressional study concludes that the constitutional requirement that a president be “a natural born citizen” includes those born abroad of one citizen parent who has met U.S. residency requirements.

“I can tell you where I was born and who my parents were. And then as a legal matter, others can worry about that. I’m not going to engage,” Cruz said in the interview with “This Week” on ABC. Cruz was in Iowa last week, speaking to a group of conservative pastors and a state GOP fundraiser. He’s already been to the early-primary state of South Carolina and is scheduled to headline a fundraiser in New Hampshire next month, fueling speculation that he may be weighing a presidential bid. The freshman Texas senator, who took office in January, said it’s premature to talk about a 2016 presidential race.

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/2013/07/canadian-born-ted-cruz-says-facts-are-clear-hes-eligible-to-be-president.html/

So it goes with the RWNJ's, they have their own set of 'facts'........

Here's one:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/08/donald-trump-sen-ted-cruz-perhaps-not-eligible-for-white-house-if-born-in-canada/

The Donald hasn't gone all in, yet, but at least he's showing some consistency.

I would say it is reasonable to ask for it. If he wants to run he should ask the Supreme Court for an opinion.

Lets see how many RWNJs demand to see his birth certificate

Or LWNJ for that matter

Or LWNJ for that matter

I guess you are wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'...............

I guess you are wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'...............

So if he runs you don't think the partisan left will ask if he is eligible?

Unlike Obama this one is actually a debatable issue because where Cruz was born is not up for debate.

He was born in Canada, he is ineligible. Pretty clear cut.

Unlike Obama this one is actually a debatable issue because where Cruz was born is not up for debate.

I tend to agree. But based on original media reports on Obama's birthplace I think the original discussion on him was legitimate as well.

http://birthers.org/

What does that say about the list the authors put before you as “cleared for take off?” Both Jindal and Haley’s parents were Indian citizens and the Indian constitution makes their children citizens of India by BIRTH! See permanent residents are not required to renounce their former citizenship as naturalized citizens are, so the laws of India apply to the children of Indians born in the United States.

Cruz was born in Canada to an American mother and a Cuban father. Cruz is a great man, a true conservative but he is ineligible to be President, because the law of Canada made him a citizen of Canada by BIRTH. His citizenship comes from Title 8 of the United States Code.

Rubio has perhaps the best claim of them all to show that at the time of his birth he only had allegiance for the United States. The 1940 Cuban Constitution which was in effect at the time of his birth states, Those born in foreign territory, of Cuban father or mother, by the sole act of their becoming inhabitants of Cuba (become Cubans by Birth.) Here Rubio would need to perform a positive act to claim Cuban citizenship as he would need to migrate to Cuba and take up residence there. However, the Supreme Court has ruled that a natural born citizen is one born in the United States to citizen parents, and until that is changed by the Supreme Court of the United States Rubio will be on shaky legal ground.

Both Governor’s Hailey and Jindel are 14th Amendment citizens of the United States. They are a credit to the American dream, and outstanding executives in their states. Marco Rubio is also a 14th Amenedment citizen of the United States, he has bucked the Florida Republican RINO establishment and became a voice for a new generation of conservatives not only in Florida but all across America, but until he can prove he was only born with allegiance to the United States his natural born status is questionable. And Ted Cruz is one hell of a Senator from Texas, he represents the people of Texas with a passion not seen in Texas since the Alamo, but he is simply a Title 8 citizen of the United States.

Heck, they're shooting down Cruz, Rubio, Jindel & Hailey.

Only if he wins the GOP nomination...

Was John McCain ineligible? George Romney? Barry Goldwater?

I tend to agree. But based on original media reports on Obama's birthplace I think the original discussion on him was legitimate as well.

Perhaps but in case you didn't notice, it's still going on. They still can't get over it nearly 5 years later.

Dam Cruz has messed up the RWNJs and birthers story line................now their bigot/racist reasoning is further in the spot light.

Dam Cruz has messed up the RWNJs and birthers story line................now their bigot/racist reasoning is further in the spot light.

From what I've read from birthers, they have been pretty consistent that Cruz is also ineligible. And, as they were with Obama, they are wrong.

Just not a natural born one.

He was a citizen at birth, by virtue of his American citizen mother (just like Obama...no matter where he was born..Hawaii being the correct answer, BTW). That makes him a natural born citizen. he did not need to obtain citizenship at a later date.

I think we've found our first LWNJ birther on the forums.

He was a citizen at birth, by virtue of his American citizen mother (just like Obama...no matter where he was born..Hawaii being the correct answer, BTW). That makes him a natural born citizen. he did not need to obtain citizenship at a later date.

That doesn't matter.

That doesn't matter.

You're either pulling my leg or a huge idiot.

You're either pulling my leg or a huge idiot.

Name calling = I won debate.

The whole point of the natural born citizen thing is to help prevent someone who may have a foreign allegiance to another country from becoming president.

Logically that means the candidate must be born in the U.S. It is not uncommon for people to have ties or allegiance to their birthplace.

'No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a Resident within the United States.'

I do believe that ship has sailed........bon voyage Ted.......