• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

Managers get 3 challenges , one they can use from innings 1-6 and the last one for the 7th and later.

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Wouldn't that just be two challenges?

#3 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

Well, it's a start.

#4 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,789 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

Where are the baseball purists on this?

#5 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

They are all secretly loving it.

#6 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

More details here:
http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

Plays are going to be reviewed at a central location, which hopefully means no more umps leaving the field for 5 minutes.

#7 douglas tomlinson

douglas tomlinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

I consider myself a purist and this stinks. The very fabric of baseball is it's fallibility. A career of getting out 7 of 10 times makes you a hall of famer. Errors can favor both teams. It is part of the game. I would like to see some consistency in the interpretation of the strike zone, but that's another battle. How players react to adversity over the long season is what makes the game so fascinating, why it imitates life.

#8 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

I consider myself a purist and this stinks. The very fabric of baseball is it's fallibility. A career of getting out 7 of 10 times makes you a hall of famer. Errors can favor both teams. It is part of the game. I would like to see some consistency in the interpretation of the strike zone, but that's another battle. How players react to adversity over the long seaso thatn is what makes the game so fascinating, why it imitates life.

While I too consider myself something of a purist, I also acknowledge that we are now in an age when, as Bob Costas puts it, even an 11 year old in his pj's has the technological ability to see that the ump blew the call.

I actually like that different umps have different strike zones, within reason. I do think their strike zones should be up for periodic review and they should be caled out for glaring inconsistencies.

My problem with the rules as presented is that you should be penalized for a blown challenge as you are in the nfl. If you get the challenge wrong in inning 1 through 6 you lose the challenge in 7 through 9. Otherwise, why not just challenge every close play which does demean the game?

#9 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,389 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:55 PM

The whole "challenge" system with these small and arbitrary limits is flat out stupid. It's dumb in the NFL, and it will be dumb in MLB. The NFL would be wise to take all the decisions upstairs, handled by people both 1) skilled at exploiting video technology quickly, and 2) not part of the on-field crew. MLB pushing the decision making process off the field is great. Having someone in a different city handle it? Asinine.

9 times out of 10, a play at a base, fair/foul, trap/catch type calls can be made by someone whose JOB it is to do that in a matter of 15 to 20 seconds. Watch any broadcast, and most of the time YOU the viewer at home know if a call was right before the next pitch. The same thing can be done in-house. Most NFL replay challenges are a result of a coach seeing something questionable on replay within 10 to 15 seconds after the play is over. And arbitrary limits on frequency are stupid. Just enforce the "Delay of game" penalties that are already on the books, and managers won't abuse it. You challenge something and you're wrong, then you have "delayed the game". Pay the price. If you're going to limit the number of "challenges", then the folks upstairs need to have the freedom to correct a bad call at any time, without a challenge needing to be issued. Don't put the onus on a manager / coach to be the one responsible for FIXING an official's bad call. When they must go through the process of an official challenge, that's what your doing... telling a member of the TEAM that it's on them to make sure a bad call is fixed. That just isn't right.

Times have changed. Video technology is exponentially better than it used to be, and a neutral observer with no tie / relationship to the on-field crew, and experience with the tools, can identify a bad call LITERALLY within 10 seconds of a play being over. And can usually rule on the right call within another 20 to 30 seconds.

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:52 AM

Anything that prevents Angel Hernandez from ruining the game is fine with me.

#11 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

Anything that prevents Angel Hernandez from ruining the game is fine with me.

Amen.

#12 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

I consider myself a purist and this stinks. The very fabric of baseball is it's fallibility. A career of getting out 7 of 10 times makes you a hall of famer. Errors can favor both teams. It is part of the game. I would like to see some consistency in the interpretation of the strike zone, but that's another battle. How players react to adversity over the long season is what makes the game so fascinating, why it imitates life.

Players are still going to make outs more than not, players will still make errors, players will still react to adversity over the course of the season.

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

Where are the baseball purists on this?

they'll hate it. the funny thing about purists is, they never seem to realize that their view of the "purity" of the game is subjective to their age. real purists would rail against any breaking ball being used, because it was originally illegal to throw any pitch with the intention of deceiving the batter. and then there was that big change that happened in 1947. purists were calling that the corrosion of the sport.

this is good for baseball.

#14 Alina Poe

Alina Poe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

Managers get 3 challenges , one they can use from innings 1-6 and the last one for the 7th and later.

They get two 7th inning and later. http://www.latimes.c...y#axzz2c8haareJ

#15 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,569 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

No purist here and I hate it. Games are long enough as it is....plus it takes the human ellement out of the game. Oh, and replay is still no guarantee of getting the call right. The excuse makers will still make excuses.

#16 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

No purist here and I hate it. Games are long enough as it is....plus it takes the human element out of the game. Oh, and replay is still no guarantee of getting the call right. The excuse makers will still make excuses.

it seems like the expectation is that it will actually reduce the amount of time spent arguing a call.

#17 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

During the time the manager is out there arguing, yelling, screaming, and so forth we at home get to see about 10 replays that almost always make the correct call clear. The so-called 'human element' is stupid and sucks.

#18 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

No purist here and I hate it. Games are long enough as it is....plus it takes the human ellement out of the game. Oh, and replay is still no guarantee of getting the call right. The excuse makers will still make excuses.

During the time the manager is out there arguing, yelling, screaming, and so forth we at home get to see about 10 replays that almost always make the correct call clear. If done right (and that's a big if), there's no reason this should any add to the game time. The so-called 'human element' is stupid and sucks. I'm not sure who the excuse makers are or why I should care about their excuses.

#19 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,528 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

This guy has a pretty good take on things:
http://www.nbcsports...hallenge-system

Highlights:

It was clear many, many years ago that baseball could not keep ignoring that umpires were being embarrassed on a near-daily basis because everyone could see, clear as high-def, that the umps were missing calls.
MLB has tried to counter this undeniable truth with its usual methods of ignorance, unreasonableness and tradition. They have tried to make the case that bad calls are a part of the grand history of the game, which is a bit like saying that miscalculations are part of the grand history of mathematics or that clerical errors are part of the grand history of tax collecting.
See, by doing it this ridiculous way, baseball made it the MANAGER’S responsibility to get the call right rather than BASEBALL’S responsibility. And that’s just wrong. Baseball should take it upon itself to get it right. This really shouldn’t be that hard. When you are not considering balls and strikes, there are how many close calls in any given baseball game? One? Three? Seven? Some games there are no close calls.

How hard would it be to have a replay umpire watch every game in a booth somewhere, buzz the ump if the play is close enough to review, take 30 seconds to review it, and then either fix the call or confirm it. How hard is that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users