• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cameron

Cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,864 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

I wondered on my blog what a similar survey would show today, with the deficit falling even faster than it did in the 1990s. Ask and ye shall receive: Hal Varian, the chief economist of Google, offered to run a Google Consumer Survey — a service the company normally sells to market researchers — on the question. So we asked whether the deficit has gone up or down since January 2010. And the results were even worse than in 1996: A majority of those who replied said the deficit has gone up, with more than 40 percent saying that it has gone up a lot. Only 12 percent answered correctly that it has gone down a lot.

. . . Thus Eric Cantor, the second-ranking Republican in the House, declared on Fox News that we have a “growing deficit,” while Senator Rand Paul told Bloomberg Businessweek that we’re running “a trillion-dollar deficit every year.”

Do people like Mr. Cantor or Mr. Paul know that what they’re saying isn’t true? Do they care? Probably not. In Stephen Colbert’s famous formulation, claims about runaway deficits may not be true, but they have truthiness, and that’s all that matters. . .

http://www.nytimes.c...s.html?hp&_r=1

Facts/truth don't matter to True Believers.

The truth just gets in their way.

"Lyin' for the Lord."

#2 songfourone

songfourone

0 warnings, but its early :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

"Lyin' for the Lord."

We saw so much of it from the GOP nominees, they didn't call them Myth Romney and Paul 'Lyin' Ryan for nothing.

#3 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,162 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

You guys just don't understand.

The US operates with a deficit. Deficits lead to a growing debt. So there for, growing deficit. Debt and deficit sound pretty similar, so that means they're interchangeable. :P

#4 veritas

veritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,006 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

The national debt is getting bigger all the time regardless of the semantic games the liberals want to employ. The average guy on the street doesn't distinguish between the overall debt and the yearly budget deficit so this poll is basically useless except as a partisan jibe.

#5 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Highly Sophisticated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,896 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

The national debt is getting bigger all the time regardless of the semantic games the liberals want to employ. The average guy on the street doesn't distinguish between the overall debt and the yearly budget deficit so this poll is basically useless except as a partisan jibe.

The national debt has been going up every administration. Yes, the debt went up even during Lord Reagan's time. Saying that the "average joe" doesn't know the difference is not an excuse for "Rand" and Cantor to lie out their arse.

And you are the very last person who should be whining about partisan.

#6 veritas

veritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,006 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

The national debt has been going up every administration. Yes, the debt went up even during Lord Reagan's time. Saying that the "average joe" doesn't know the difference is not an excuse for "Rand" and Cantor to lie out their arse.

I never mentioned Cantor or Paul nor have I paid attention to what they have said lately. I was addressing the usefulness of the poll.

#7 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,896 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

I never mentioned Cantor or Paul nor have I paid attention to what they have said lately. I was addressing the usefulness of the poll.

Of course you would say that, because you do not want to face the fact that precious right wingers have been lying to Americans. So you would prefer to selectively ignore it, or at least claim to have ignored it.

#8 veritas

veritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,006 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Of course you would say that, because you do not want to face the fact that precious right wingers have been lying to Americans. So you would prefer to selectively ignore it, or at least claim to have ignored it.

Unlike you, I am not hanging on every utterance from Cantor or Paul or any other politician. If you read my post, it is about the poll only. Maybe you are selectively ignoring that it is flawed if not downright deceptive. Oh and the national debt has gone up 48% under Obama so it's not like it's getting any smaller, just larger at a somewhat slower pace.

#9 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,896 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Unlike you, I am not hanging on every utterance from Cantor or Paul or any other politician. If you read my post, it is about the poll only. Maybe you are selectively ignoring that it is flawed if not downright deceptive. Oh and the national debt has now exceeded 100% of GDP for the first time ever. So much for Obama lowering anything.

The poll is irrelevant. The point of the thread is that top Republicans are lying about the deficit. Only you could defend that, who would be "hanging on every utterance" of a liberal politician if he lied to America like Paul and Cantor have been doing.

#10 veritas

veritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,006 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

The poll is irrelevant. The point of the thread is that top Republicans are lying about the deficit. Only you could defend that, who would be "hanging on every utterance" of a liberal politician if he lied to America like Paul and Cantor have been doing.

I'm not all that concerned with what either Dems or Republicans say, only with what they do. As for the quotes above, when were they said and what's the context? Paul says we're running a trillion dollar deficit every year. The deficit in 2012 was $1.089 trillion.

#11 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,896 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

I'm not all that concerned with what either Dems or Republicans say, only with what they do. As for the quotes above, when were they said and what's the context? Paul says we're running a trillion dollar deficit every year. The deficit in 2012 was $1.089 trillion.

It's projected to be about $750 billion this year and has been getting better each year.

The idea that you are not concerned about what Dems say is bunk.

#12 veritas

veritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,006 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

It's projected to be about $750 billion this year and has been getting better each year.

The idea that you are not concerned about what Dems say is bunk.

So Paul's claim, up through 2012, is accurate. As for the Dems, as I said, I'm not too concerned with all the stuff they say. I only get concerned when they are given the power to start enforcing it.

#13 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,896 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

So Paul's claim, up through 2012, is accurate. As for the Dems, as I said, I'm not too concerned with all the stuff they say. I only get concerned when they are given the power to start enforcing it.

Through 2012, yes... But Cantor's statement is still false.

#14 Cameron

Cameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,864 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

So Paul's claim, up through 2012, is accurate.

Only if you lie about what he said. :D

we’re running “a trillion-dollar deficit every year.”

The truth is that we are not running a trillion dollar deficit . . .

and the fiscal year ends in a month.

U.S. Budget Deficit Down 37.6 Percent Through July: CBO

The Congressional Budget Office has forecast that the annual deficit will be $670 billion when the budget year ends Sept. 30, far below last year's $1.09 trillion. It would mark the first year that the gap between spending and revenue has been below $1 trillion since 2008.

Steady economic growth, higher taxes, lower government spending and increased dividends from mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have helped shrink the deficit.

http://www.huffingto..._n_3745096.html

#15 ODENTON

ODENTON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Repugnants should just leave the country, since they want America to fail so badly.:confused:................... Terrorist want America to fail too.

#16 veritas

veritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35,006 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Only if you lie about what he said. :D

The truth is that we are not running a trillion dollar deficit . . .

and the fiscal year ends in a month.

Like I said: It would mark the first year that the gap between spending and revenue has been below $1 trillion since 2008.

So, if Paul contends that we ran a trillion dollar deficit for 2013, you can repost your attack.

#17 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,698 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:33 PM

"Lyin' for the Lord."

Most people probably don't know the differences between the Deficit and the national debt...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users