• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:52 AM

Well any comments. Your best is playing Florida's second best. Let us see how they do.

#2 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,062 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

Well any comments. Your best is playing Florida's second best. Let us see how they do.

Should be fun to watch. As fat as rankings go, yes this teas Godby and Manatee are second best but they will have something to say about that on the field. They both looked very impressive last week.

#3 dunkone

dunkone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

lol...sounds like a set up question to me...if the MD teams do well, so what, because they were playing Florida's jv...if they don't do well..then MD can't compete....imo MD football is beginning to show they can compete on a national level...look at what gilman and good counsel did last yr out of state vs the nj teams...gilman also took it to Oscar smith a fews yr. back as did good counsel to manatee...and now dematha is taking those steps(finally)....I have much respect for florida football(what little I know about it at this point)...I think the md teams will compete well...good luck to all of them...

#4 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Let's just wait until the end of the season before we determine who is and isn't FL's best. If one or all of the 3 FL teams playing MD teams this weekend (Godby vs. DeMatha, Manatee vs. Gilman, or Imahokee vs. GC) lose to their MD comp. and then rund the table and win states, I think it's safe to say they would be considered part of FL's "best"

#5 mlf1886

mlf1886

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:57 PM

That is total BS. Trinity, Manatee and Godby aren't even close to being one of the top ten teams in Florida. They may be 6th or 7th best tier in Florida. Some polls have Booker T. Washington ranked number 1 in the nation. Other polls have Central ranked #1 in the nation.

Central and Booker T. Washington are clearly the most dominant teams in Florida. Booker T. beat the #6 team in the nation 55-0 on the road.

It's amazing how private schools in Maryland get all the hype but the best teams in the nation are public schools. Miami is loaded with high school talent.

#6 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,062 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

That is total BS. Trinity, Manatee and Godby aren't even close to being one of the top ten teams in Florida. They may be 6th or 7th best tier in Florida. Some polls have Booker T. Washington ranked number 1 in the nation. Other polls have Central ranked #1 in the nation.

Central and Booker T. Washington are clearly the most dominant teams in Florida. Booker T. beat the #6 team in the nation 55-0 on the road.

It's amazing how private schools in Maryland get all the hype but the best teams in the nation are public schools. Miami is loaded with high school talent.

Manatee is never 7th tier anything in Florida. They're one of the top programs in the whole state. They were the #1 team in THE WHOLE COUNTRY for most of last year until they lost in the State Semifinals. They are ranked anywhere from 4-6th in the state in every Poll. And this is suppose to be a bad year. Godby is ranked 7th or 8th in Florida in every Poll! And some of the teams ahead of the teams ahead of both teams like University and First Coast, most think that both schools look better. In all honesty, there's only two teams that Pollers are all in agreement about that's better than Manatee and Godby and that's Central and Booker T. And NEVER put Trinity in the same sentence with these teams. They are no where near the same level.

In all honesty, if Gilman, GC and DeMatha win, it will be HUGE FOR MARYLAND.

#7 mlf1886

mlf1886

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

Manatee is never 7th tier anything in Florida. They're one of the top programs in the whole state. They were the #1 team in THE WHOLE COUNTRY for most of last year until they lost in the State Semifinals. They are ranked anywhere from 4-6th in the state in every Poll. And this is suppose to be a bad year. Godby is ranked 7th or 8th in Florida in every Poll! And some of the teams ahead of the teams ahead of both teams like University and First Coast, most think that both schools look better. In all honesty, there's only two teams that Pollers are all in agreement about that's better than Manatee and Godby and that's Central and Booker T. And NEVER put Trinity in the same sentence with these teams. They are no where near the same level.

In all honesty, if Gilman, GC and DeMatha win, it will be HUGE FOR MARYLAND.

Not really. Those Florida teams are rebuilding this year.

#8 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

For the record:

-Godby is ranked #5 in FL and #59 nationally by maxpreps

-Manatee is ranked #8 in FL and #72 nationally by maxpreps

-Immokalee is ranked #91 and #1214 nationally by maxpreps

-Trinity Catholic is ranled #117 in FL and #1608 nationally by maxpreps

...but Manatee and Godby are some of FL's "second best" or part of the "6th or 7th tier"? Whatever.

#9 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,062 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

For the record:

-Godby is ranked #5 in FL and #59 nationally by maxpreps

-Manatee is ranked #8 in FL and #72 nationally by maxpreps

-Immokalee is ranked #91 and #1214 nationally by maxpreps

-Trinity Catholic is ranled #117 in FL and #1608 nationally by maxpreps

...but Manatee and Godby are some of FL's "second best" or part of the "6th or 7th tier"? Whatever.

I actually like Rivals ranking much better than Maxpreps. Manatee is ranked
#6 in Florida and #45 Nationally. Godby is ranked #7 in Florida and #64 nationally. Both of those teams are very very strong and stronger than what people initially thought. It's going to be a HUGE TASK for Gilman and DeMatha to beat either team and I'm predicting that both will lose, hope I'm wrong!

#10 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

Booker T against a Gilman is a good match. Booker T would win by 12 I would say. Central is also a good tem and put them against say a GC and Central would win by 12 or more. As for Manatee they are young as is Saint Thomas but these schools would give the top Md schools a run. Miami is loaded this year with big schools but Md can competye ,they would need to play easier schools that's all. Like this year's.

#11 lord_baltimore

lord_baltimore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:59 AM

Booker T against a Gilman is a good match. Booker T would win by 12 I would say. Central is also a good tem and put them against say a GC and Central would win by 12 or more. As for Manatee they are young as is Saint Thomas but these schools would give the top Md schools a run. Miami is loaded this year with big schools but Md can competye ,they would need to play easier schools that's all. Like this year's.

Florida's 5-10 ranked shools SHOULD be better than MD's top 5. FL has 4x the population and year round football.

Given the amount of hype and bravado that FL football people make about their HS teams being superior...Godby and Manatee should be able to throw down with and beat any team in MD regardless of their rank. We'll see if the legend lives.

BTW Booker T would have beaten Gilman by 5 touchdowns last week. They are seriously the truth. Norcross was way overrated but they could still very well win states in GA. To drop 8 TD's on them and shut them out in their house is special.

#12 dunkone

dunkone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

things will be a bit tougher for Gc...leo ekwoge is officially out with an acl...tough to hear, these kids work so hard year around and there is nothing like your sr yr. in high school playing ball with your boys...wish him well...

#13 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,062 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

things will be a bit tougher for Gc...leo ekwoge is officially out with an acl...tough to hear, these kids work so hard year around and there is nothing like your sr yr. in high school playing ball with your boys...wish him well...

I hear GC has some surprises up their sleeves. You guys will be surprise on who they will have running the ball, they put some speed in the backfield!

#14 dunkone

dunkone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

I hear GC has some surprises up their sleeves. You guys will be surprise on who they will have running the ball, they put some speed in the backfield!

don't know all of GC's roster...but I assume they will put some trust in the kid jonathan lee...anyone other than him would be a surprise...

#15 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,062 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:51 PM

don't know all of GC's roster...but I assume they will put some trust in the kid jonathan lee...anyone other than him would be a surprise...

I think Lee should get the bulk of their carries and I believe he has more potential than Leo. But I'm hearing they are going to use one of their small speed guys to get more speed in the backfield. With that line, I think that's a good idea.

#16 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:39 AM

Ya I heard a couple of things but no one is going to be as good as the young man they lost. Potential doesn't help this year, I've seen all their options and they do have some up and comers. But if you don't have the vison to match your speed it doesn't help to much, you can't break everything for the sideline at this level. Now that teams see the only passing threat is the QB running when no one isn't open is only going to make running the ball much harder.

Edited by RM7, 30 August 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#17 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,062 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

Just saw some tape of Manatee last week and they're good, VERY GOOD! I think Gilman can score on them though and think this game could be very high scoring. What I truly think needs to happen is, Poggi has to get past his loyalty to certain players(seniors). For Gilman to have a chance to win this game, Antonio Dupree needs to play middle linebacker. The kid is 6' 215 and fast. Manatee returns 8 players on offense and a GREAT OL AND RB. The linebackers that started and played the whole game against GC(outside of Maddox) will not cut it against this team. Give Rhett the majority of the carries with Dupree obviously getting some but use him exclusively on defense. This to me is the only way they can win this game.

I know the kids are reading this, no one is giving you guys a chance, go out there and prove everybody wrong. Play with a chip on your shoulders and put Maryland on the map on National TV. Everybody picked Good Counsel last week and now everybody is picking Manatee and most are saying it will be a blowout. Win, lose it draw, show the world that there's no easy wins when you're playing Gilman.

#18 aok

aok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Just saw some tape of Manatee last week and they're good, VERY GOOD! I think Gilman can score on them though and think this game could be very high scoring. What I truly think needs to happen is, Poggi has to get past his loyalty to certain players(seniors). For Gilman to have a chance to win this game, Antonio Dupree needs to play middle linebacker. The kid is 6' 215 and fast. Manatee returns 8 players on offense and a GREAT OL AND RB. The linebackers that started and played the whole game against GC(outside of Maddox) will not cut it against this team. Give Rhett the majority of the carries with Dupree obviously getting some but use him exclusively on defense. This to me is the only way they can win this game.

I know the kids are reading this, no one is giving you guys a chance, go out there and prove everybody wrong. Play with a chip on your shoulders and put Maryland on the map on National TV. Everybody picked Good Counsel last week and now everybody is picking Manatee and most are saying it will be a blowout. Win, lose it draw, show the world that there's no easy wins when you're playing Gilman.

Let me just say that Booker T is by far the best team in either state. These guys are brutal and have speed on both sides of the ball. I have been a cheer leader in Md and know football. I have never seen a HS team as good a booker T and I really think they are men playing as a HS team. They are scary.

#19 aok

aok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

I think Booker T and Manatee scrimaged and Booker T scored on it's 1st 7 possessions a couple weeks ago.

#20 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

I think Booker T and Manatee scrimaged and Booker T scored on it's 1st 7 possessions a couple weeks ago.

How the hell do you have 7 possessions in a scrimmage? Let alone first 7? That's like 70 plays if you do 10 per switch lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users