Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

What Day Will Marino Be Honored by the Orioles?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bluecountry

bluecountry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

The finale on Thursday?

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,025 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

yep, that's how teams usually handle that sort of thing.

#3 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

The finale on Thursday?

Why would the O's honor a long-retired football QB? :D

Good question, do they honor Mariano Rivera at the start or end of the series. I'd bet on the start so that his performance in the series - good or bad - doesn't reflect on his entire fantastic career.

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,222 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

The finale on Thursday?

Honored for what?

#5 Big Bird

Big Bird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

Honored for what?

Why is he being honored by the O's? He's a member of another team!!. Never played for the O's.

#6 Softbank Orioles

Softbank Orioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

Every team is honoring him. He proved over 19 seasons that no one can stop him*

That's worthy of being a good sportsman and acknowledging. Plus all of his peers seem to like him (and yes the Orioles count as his peers).

Other players that got a similar treatment around the league include Chipper Jones, Cal Ripken and Stan Musial.

*Except the D-backs.

#7 baltbirdboy

baltbirdboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

No way I will honor Mariano Rivera. Rivera broke too many Oriole fans hearts over the years. Year after year with Rivera's saves the Yankees humiliated and tormented the Orioles. I question the validity of his saves too. I don't believe that his so called "Cutter" could have been that good or that unique that no one else could/can duplicate it. I am sure that the Umpires gave Rivera lots of leeway with it.....a whole lot of leeway like they always do with the Yankees.

#8 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

No way I will honor Mariano Rivera. Rivera broke too many Oriole fans hearts over the years. Year after year with Rivera's saves the Yankees humiliated and tormented the Orioles. I question the validity of his saves too. I don't believe that his so called "Cutter" could have been that good or that unique that no one else could/can duplicate it. I am sure that the Umpires gave Rivera lots of leeway with it.....a whole lot of leeway like they always do with the Yankees.

So true. He's like Cal Ripken Jr.. No way does junior break Gehrigs streak without PEDS, RIGHT.? Cal killed his team by insisting on trudging out there and playing all the time. If the Team came first he would have benched himself way sooner and moved to 3rd sooner as well.

Ripken and Rivera, frauds.

#9 baltbirdboy

baltbirdboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

So true. He's like Cal Ripken Jr.. No way does junior break Gehrigs streak without PEDS, RIGHT.? Cal killed his team by insisting on trudging out there and playing all the time. If the Team came first he would have benched himself way sooner and moved to 3rd sooner as well.

Ripken and Rivera, frauds.

Okay, continue to live in your fantasy land Agrippa. Who am I to criticize another?

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,025 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

I think you're letting your orange colored glasses affect your opinion. Mo isn't known for called strikes. he's known for his cutter splitting lumber like a buzz saw, or being unhittable, and resulting in swing and misses, because of how it breaks into left handed hitters. there have been quite a few folks who questioned the managerial decision to PH lefty batters for righties, because his cutter is more difficult to hit from the left side of the plate.

I've watched the yankees get more blown calls, in their favor, than I care to remember. but criticizing MR for owning the orioles is like criticizing Brooks for not letting more ground balls get by him. it's what he's supposed to do.

#11 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

As any self-respecting Baltimore native, I despise the Yank$. But how can you not admire what Rivera has done in his long career? The numbers more than speak for themselves. Hell, he could very well pitch next season, as good as he still is. But just as importantly, Rivera has done it all with class.

If I was as the park, I would definitely applaud him.

#12 baltbirdboy

baltbirdboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

Not me. No way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users