21 replies to this topic

#1 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

http://www.baltimore...?obref=obinsite

The Court of Special Appeals on Tuesday upheld a decision by Baltimore police to terminate Meredith Cross, who argued that her constitutional rights were violated when she was fired from the department because she married Carlito Cabana –– a convicted murderer and a member of the Dead Man Inc. prison gang.

The court found that the Police Department did not violate her rights, that it "neither prevented appellant from marrying Cabana, nor forced her to obtain a divorce after learning about the marriage." The opinion continued that "the plaintiff has failed to show that the regulation infringes on either the right to marry or the First Amendment right of intimate association."

http://blogs.citypap...e-her-job-back/

According to the decision by the Maryland Court of Special Appeals released yesterday afternoon, Cross was a financial advisor working for American Express when she first wrote to Cabana in 2002. By 2004 she had fallen in love with him and moved to Baltimore, the decision says, where she applied to the Baltimore Police Department. When an interviewer asked if she knew anyone in prison, she mentioned her brother, a friend’s husband, and Cabana, who she described as a “friend.”

What is wrong with her thought process?

#2 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

There is no thought process.

#3 musicmd

musicmd

the CAF Red Tail Squadron preserve and share the history and leg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

There is no thought process.

Looking for love in all the wrong places.

#4 caliber45

caliber45

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Just another stupid, weak minded person. What a POS she is.

#5 Lawman 27

Lawman 27

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

What no one has noticed is that the Court of SPECIAL appeals made this verdict. She can always appeal to Maryland's Court of Appeals (their hatred of both victims and Police is legendary).

Just another stupid, weak minded person. What a POS she is.

No one seems to believe me...THIS IS THE KIND OF OFFICER THAT THE CITY WANTS TO HIRE THESE DAYS!!!

#6 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,077 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Cross had argued her relationship with Cabana did not affect her ability to serve as a police officer, and several of her colleagues, including her supervisor, attested to her work. Investigators found that she spoke to Cabana on the phone while on duty but that she was never heard giving Cabana information on official police business, the opinion said.
"The Department wants you to believe that she's guilty based purely on her marriage and her contacts and I don't believe that's enough to get you to a violation of the Agency's policies," her attorney told the hearing board, the opinion said.
Cross could not be reached for comment. Her attorney declined to comment. The Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Read more: http://www.baltimore...y#ixzz2eJReZakb

Dan Rodricks has some more details on the story and for once I agree with him 100%.

http://www.baltimore...,2184461.column

In 2002, when Cross was a financial adviser for American Express in New York, a friend convinced her to start writing letters to one Carlito Cabana, a member of the Dead Man Inc. prison gang (formerly of a gang called Natural Born Killers). He was incarcerated in Maryland for second-degree murder. His gang was once a subsidiary of the infamous Black Guerrilla Family.

And more later...

A "serious relationship" blossomed between Cross and Cabana, and she moved to Baltimore to be closer to him. In 2004, she applied to be a city cop. When she was asked if she knew anyone in prison, she described Cabana as a "friend."
But it wasn't long before Cross and Cabana were married in a "spiritual ceremony" in Patuxent Institution in Jessup. She visited him numerous times, identifying herself as his wife, telephoned him frequently and sent him money orders.
In 2009, she and Cabana were officially married. That same spring, officials at the North Branch Correctional Institution in Cumberland alerted Baltimore police that Cross had been making frequent visits to see a confirmed gang leader there. That's what triggered the investigation that led to Cross' dismissal. She was found to have violated department rules by associating with a known gang member — a person of "questionable character" — and by not disclosing the full nature of their relationship.

#7 demopublican

demopublican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,077 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Makes me wonder if he did not push her to join the force in the first place.

#8 octoburn

octoburn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,356 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

Why are Dan Rodricks and the police department pursuing an anti~marriage agenda? :confused:

#9 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,555 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

Why are Dan Rodricks and the police department pursuing an anti~marriage agenda? :confused:

maybe because they are not the same sex? ...........

#10 genghiskhanraven

genghiskhanraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

I thought the same thing.
Disco Dan has written dozens of articles against employment discrimination of felons, its his liberal jihad that all felons should be forgiven and allowed to start over on a clean slate, so now he writes we should use common sense and fire a cop with no criminal record that must see some good in a felon and marries him??????

Dan, your liberal hypocrisy can be very confusing.

#11 demopublican

demopublican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,077 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

I thought the same thing.
Disco Dan has written dozens of articles against employment discrimination of felons, its his liberal jihad that all felons should be forgiven and allowed to start over on a clean slate, so now he writes we should use common sense and fire a cop that marries a felon??????

Not just a felon. It is not like he was convicted ten years ago of a single crime. He is the active leader of an ongoing criminal enterprise.

#12 bud

bud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,021 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

This is part of the lowered standards initiated by a failed Mayor and now Governor Marty O'Malley. The destruction of BPD is forever his legacy to the city and state. Meanwhile, this fool actually thinks he can be president. What a joke!

#13 RANII

RANII

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

This is part of the lowered standards initiated by a failed Mayor and now Governor Marty O'Malley. The destruction of BPD is forever his legacy to the city and state. Meanwhile, this fool actually thinks he can be president. What a joke!

I used to have respect for Baltimore City Police officers before the Omalley years, then I came home as a young veteran and BPD officers contsantly reminded me that everyone is a criminal unless they say so. Maybe I should have married a cop or a correctional officer.

#14 bud

bud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,021 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Makes me wonder if he did not push her to join the force in the first place.

That's actually a tactic that many gangs use. They start grooming guys and gals as early as 15. They keep them away from trouble and then get them into police or corrections.

#15 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,852 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

Dan came down pretty hard on officials at the Baltimore City Detention Center for giving Tavon White a free rein.
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#16 TheResearcher

TheResearcher

Debonair, Handsome, Intelligent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

What no one has noticed is that the Court of SPECIAL appeals made this verdict. She can always appeal to Maryland's Court of Appeals (their hatred of both victims and Police is legendary).

No one seems to believe me...THIS IS THE KIND OF OFFICER THAT THE CITY WANTS TO HIRE THESE DAYS!!!

There are military veterans who need jobs. Perhaps if the BCPD worked with the VA...

#17 demopublican

demopublican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,077 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:15 AM

There are military veterans who need jobs. Perhaps if the BCPD worked with the VA...

http://www.examiner....out-to-veterans

As hundreds of troops return from the Middle East as well as other hot spots around the world, many veterans are looking for work. The Baltimore City Police Department is reaching out to them. Recruitment events are being scheduled to find men and women who may be more than qualified to serve the City as police officers.

Realizing that our troops have been well trained in discipline as well as weaponry, the Police Department feels that many returning vets have the skills needed to be effective officers. To that end, a Civil Service Test is given every Tuesday at 601 E. Fayette Street, the Police Headquarters. The tests are given at 12:30 PM and again at 6:00 PM. Every applicant must possess a valid driver's license. It cannot be a provisional license. The test is free and there is no pre-registration.

Good idea :rolleyes:

#18 Lawman 27

Lawman 27

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

We've been through this before, the BPD goes out of its way to trash Vets* and other fully qualified individuals.

http://www.examiner....out-to-veterans

Personally I do not care if the local media believes that the BPD wants Vets or not, the local media seems to print whatever they are told too anyway.

*I have mentioned here before that I met a Veteran of Iraq. He had applied to the BPD first, but was trashed (the BPD told him he must be a drug user as he was a Veteran). This guy ended up working for the State Police! The fact that the BPD would disrespect this guy was sickening, but not unexpected!

Edited by Baltimatt, 11 September 2013 - 04:43 PM.
Fixed link

#19 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

We've been through this before, the BPD goes out of its way to trash Vets* and other fully qualified individuals.

http://www.examiner.....ut-to-veterans

Personally I do not care if the local media believes that the BPD wants Vets or not, the local media seems to print whatever they are told too anyway.

*I have mentioned here before that I met a Veteran of Iraq. He had applied to the BPD first, but was trashed (the BPD told him he must be a drug user as he was a Veteran). This guy ended up working for the State Police! The fact that the BPD would disrespect this guy was sickening, but not unexpected!

The link didn't work for me.

#20 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,265 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Me either

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users