Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

MD minimum wage hike proposal announced of $10.10/hr by 2016, indexing to inflation.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 KSweeley

KSweeley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland, USA.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Link: http://www.baltimore...0,4173834.story

Well, here's some good news for people working minimum-wage jobs, Baltimore City's delegation to the Maryland General Assembly has stated a "top issue" in the General Assembly for them will be getting the state's minimum wage increased by $3.00 to $10.10/hr by 2016, then have our minimum wage automatically indexed to inflation, it has political support on both the city level and the state level.

2:06 PM EDT, September 5, 2013

Baltimore's delegation leaders said Thursday that raising the state's minimum wage by nearly $3 an hour will be the city's top issue of next General Assembly session.
"This is going to be our new strongest priority," said Del. Curt Anderson, chairman of the city's delegation at a news conference at City Hall.
The state's minimum wage has been set at $7.25 per hour since 2009. That means minimum-wage workers earn about $15,000 a year for full-time, year-round work.
The bill backed by city politicians would incrementally increase the state’s minimum wage to $10.10 per hour by 2016 and automatically increase it with inflation thereafter. They argue the increase would inject $466 million into Maryland’s economy, and create 4,060 jobs in the state.

Maryland Senate President Thomas V. "Mike" Miller, Governor Martin O'Malley, Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, the Baltimore City Council and the leading Democratic contenders for Governor all support increasing the minimum wage so this raises the question if this minimum wage increase bill will finally pass both the Maryland House and Senate in 2014:

State Senate President Thomas V. "Mike" Miller said Thursday that "it's time" to raise the state's minimum wage. He said the measure might be tied to a cut in the corporate income tax rate.
"Blue collar people are finding it increasingly hard to make ends meet," Miller said. "I think it’s time to increase the minimum wage. It’s just a matter of figuring out how to do it without laying people off."
The powerful senate president, whose blessing gives the movement greater odds of passing next year, said he talked with business owners about what would make an increase feasible. Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said she, Gov. Martin O'Malley and leading Democrat contenders for governor back the hike.
“It’s the smart thing to do, and it’s the right thing to do,” she said in a statement. “When our low-income families get a hand up, all of us do a little better, as they have a little more money and time to build stronger, more self-sufficient families and communities.
A senior O’Malley aide said Thursday the governor supports raising the minimum wage in Maryland and is still considering whether to introduce legislation to do so in January.
In August, the Baltimore City Council approved a resolution, sponsored by City Councilwoman Mary Pat Clarke, that called on the state to raise the minimum wage.

#2 overtaxed

overtaxed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

Well, love miller's response in the quote. "Blue collar people are finding it hard to make ends meet". Does he really think all blue collar jobs are minimum wage? A minimum wage job is where you start, then you learn and work your way up.
Anyone that thinks a minimum wage job is a career, is beyond help.

#3 demopublican

demopublican

If Partisans Call Me Names I am Winning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,489 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Well, love miller's response in the quote. "Blue collar people are finding it hard to make ends meet". Does he really think all blue collar jobs are minimum wage? A minimum wage job is where you start, then you learn and work your way up.

Exactly. This is a job and growth killer.

#4 caliber45

caliber45

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm blue collar and as an apprentice I started at a couple dollars over minimum. Now I can hit 6 figures with OT.

#5 demopublican

demopublican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,489 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'm blue collar and as an apprentice I started at a couple dollars over minimum. Now I can hit 6 figures with OT.

The MdCrats hate people like you. You are not dependent enough.

#6 USP9

USP9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:54 AM

When will my salary automatically be indexed to inflation?

So, now the big question is, what happens to the salaries of the supervisors who are making now what they propose the new minimum wage to be? Will their salary go up 30%?

How about their supervisors?

What makes people who are at the lowest end of the employment ladder entitled to a 30% wage increase when the wages and salaries of those who have attained higher paying jobs through education and perseverance have been stagnant for the last 5 years?

I have a masters degree, post-masters course work and 25 years in my profession. I want my 30% pay increase.

#7 demopublican

demopublican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,489 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

When will my salary automatically be indexed to inflation?

So, now the big question is, what happens to the salaries of the supervisors who are making now what they propose the new minimum wage to be? Will their salary go up 30%?

How about their supervisors?

What makes people who are at the lowest end of the employment ladder entitled to a 30% wage increase when the wages and salaries of those who have attained higher paying jobs through education and perseverance have been stagnant for the last 5 years?

I have a masters degree, post-masters course work and 25 years in my profession. I want my 30% pay increase.

I am sure they (the unions and their employees in Annapolis) are counting on other wages rising along with the minimum value employee. But I doubt it would help out people like you that have a real career.
I would love to see a law that demanded that employees produce a minimum amount of value for their wages. Some people might be in for a rude awakening when they find out that they are just not worth the new minimum wage
It is a little scary to see that indexing to inflation is all the rage in AnnapoCrat-Town. I am sure that it is appealing because it helps them avoid having to go back and vote of unpleasant issues like the gas tax and the minimum wage. But tying inflationary costs to inflation might come back and bite us in our collective asses one day when inflation becomes a problem.

#8 overtaxed

overtaxed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

I am with you, have done the same. 59 years old and still training so I can still advance. We can't find young skilled tradesman, at least any that actually want a job. Takes months to replace someone that has moved on.

#9 demopublican

demopublican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,489 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hard work, education, and good decision making are no substitute for sloth and entitlement.

#10 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,654 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

the government mandated, incremental portion of the wage above the fair market value is just another form of involuntary wealth transfer ........

no different from welfare or taxes ......

#11 caliber45

caliber45

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

I know the tax man loves me.

The MdCrats hate people like you. You are not dependent enough.

#12 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

Wonder where Miller's concern was when he was supporting all of O'Malley's regressive tax increases that were hitting blue collar workers and making it harder for them to make ends meet?

#13 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,434 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Obamacare + minimum wage increase = small business going under & prices going up

simple math

Another "feel good" ploy to get votes by the democraps.

#14 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,111 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

I think we (for the most part) earn what we "earn", as far as making ourselves marketable. IMO, if you're not satisfied with your wages, it's pretty much on you to deal with that, as opposed to government mandating your wage.

I'm curious though, if you get OT, that implies you're an hourly wage earner. I've heard of insane OT wages in government, but what is it you do where you make over 100,000 dollars a year as a clock puncher?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users