25 replies to this topic

#1 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:53 PM

1. Ed Reed was terrible. The secondary is MUCH better off without him. Really glad his worthless hide is out of town.

2. Boldin was overrated and completely unnecessary. The offense moved at will without him, and Flacco never was left wanting for a sure-handed receiver he could go to on passing downs.

3. The defense is much faster, explosive, and talented than it ever was last year. They won't miss Ray Lewis at all.

Anything else? Feel free to add your own.

#2 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,451 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:12 AM

I wasn't convinced at all that the defense was better. What Ray Lewis and Ed Reed brought to the defense was more than physical ability. It was football smarts that made them coaches on the field in real time. We will see how good Dean Pees is. He is unfortunately the one who has to prove himself without the two guys who have coached the defense for a decade. Ryan and Pagano probably wouldn't have gotten head coaching jobs without them. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out. One game is not an entire season, but that one game that resulted in a franchise record points given up by the defense and 462 yds passing for Manning does not look good.

#3 West Chester Raven

West Chester Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:58 AM

1. Ed Reed was terrible. The secondary is MUCH better off without him. Really glad his worthless hide is out of town.

2. Boldin was overrated and completely unnecessary. The offense moved at will without him, and Flacco never was left wanting for a sure-handed receiver he could go to on passing downs.

3. The defense is much faster, explosive, and talented than it ever was last year. They won't miss Ray Lewis at all.

LOL! Uh, yeah. The back end of the defense was clueless. It's all good until we actually have to play a game. Don't forget we were gifted a TD by Welker early so take away 7 points. The offense didn't really do much. I will say that we could have sustained drives if we had someone to actually catch the ball. Clark dropped a sure TD pass. Flacco wasn't great but he isn't the main reason we lost last night.

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

Well, at least I got 1/2 of prediction right- the Ravens did score 27 points! (LOL) Defensively, that was pretty ugly but you know, sometimes things just snowball. It happens to good teams too. I'm going to just write this one off as some kind of aberration and hope that some home cooking with the Browns will get things back to normal. The Broncos wanted their revenge and they got it. In spades.

#5 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,926 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

1. Ravens fans are intelligent, patient and realize things don't click over night

2. Harbaugh should have taken the team on more field trips and spent less time practicing

3. The Ravens won their first post-super bowl game in 2001 in Denver

4. As bad as Dallas Clark was last night Ed Dickson is a bigger disappointment

5. Marlon Brown has some talent and could be a nice compliment to Smith

#6 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,879 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

1. Flacco needs someone to catch the ball at the TE spot. Jones getting hurt...

2. The O Line is not as strong as I thought they'd be this year. It's early and I think they'll get better but Oher getting hurt is a concern.

3. Special Teams play needs work (lots of work).

4. Ravens must run the ball.

5. Secondary couldn't cover anyone including themselves (with blankets even). Manning can make many corners look bad but he lit up ours last night.

#7 ODENTON

ODENTON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

Boldin was overrated? They could have used his sure hands last night!

"Things we learned from Week 1"
It's going to be a very longggggggggggggg season.

#8 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,604 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

Things I learned from Week 1? That I was right when I said we'd regret the Boldin trade

#9 AFKAR7

AFKAR7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

It's not so much that I really learned anything new but what is confirmed of what I know.

Classic fan overreaction on both sides. This game doesn't break the Ravens season and it doesn't guarantee the Broncos a SB.

That there are d-bags wherever you go whose lives are so void of meaning that they feel like a sports team defines who they are. The overwhelming number of ppl in my section where great but I was lucky to have a drunk idiot behind me.

#10 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

Things I learned from Week 1? It is quite hilarious how fans jump to conclusions based on one game. As you are elbowing each other out of the way in your haste to leap off the edge, please try to remember that for every team, and most especially the Ravens, the team you see in January bears little resemblance to the team we see now. This team has so many new players it seems to me quite logical it may not come together for the first game, especially against the Broncos in an emotionally charged Mile High Stadium. May I remind you that the next to last time the Ravens faced them, here in December, the score was 34-17. Did Anquan save the Ravens in that one? Peyton Manning has owned the Ravens for ten years or more.

I make no excuses for what we saw last night; it was a disaster in every phase of the game. But it is far better to get that wakeup call now than later. I am very concerned with the injuries to Jones and Oher, and obviously we need to see more from the running game, special teams, and somebody to catch the dam ball. But I stand by my prediction that the Ravens will be annoyingly inconsistent, stagger into the playoffs, and then anything can happen. They have extra time now to regroup and prepare for the Browns at home, so let's see. This is a team that will not do it the easy way and will probably p is s-us off many times, but I believe the talent and the heart is there and will bring them through.

#11 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Just wondering....did some of you not 'get' that Slidemaster's 3 things we learned from week 1 were totally 'tongue in cheek'...... People are responding as if the three things were intended literally. Funny as heck though and I agree. Team looked terrible....Ed Dixon is a 'stone hands' and will NEVER be a reliable or first rate receiver....we all kind of knew this already though. Harbaugh needs to set up a booth manned by smart guys...not idiots. If WE get the replay on TV and can make a decision on challenging a paly...then his assistants MUST be able to have the same resources and get word to him immediately!!! Its so simple...why can't they do it??? That blunder changed the entire momentum of the game... admittedly along with lots of subsequent horrible play. Without real receivers this year we will be in a very bad place....and we are not going to win by just running the ball....not in this league....... Joe has a huge challenge ahead...and our receivers just went minus one with Jacoby getting hurt....... Dallas Clark...looks like Tyson after his prime was done....where's the flying mouthpiece on the canvas??? Dead Turkey..... Stokeley??? Didn't he used to play for some old league decades ago? Oh that was just the old Ravens on their first SB go round. Great acquisition!!! Give him lots of caffeine and wings! Overall this coaching staff needs to step up and make sense of this mess quickly, before it becomes self fulfilling. John still displays all the same old problems...and since the Wizard of Oz was just fiction, no one is going to provide him with a 'new brain', or a 'heart'......He is just going to have to do it for himself........without all the old leaders that he 'shooed away'. . Its John's show now....all the way...good or bad. Challenge Flag anyone?

#12 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,569 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

it takes time for a team with 8 or more new starters to come together .......

sometimes it never happens and we can look at the 2 teams closest to the north and south of us to see how sometimes great teams on paper never gel as good teams in recent years .....

#13 yeah

yeah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

things i learned from week 1. the wrong team won the superbowl last year

#14 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

The team that scores the most points in the Super Bowl wins it. The Ravens scored the most points. That's how football works.

#15 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

That's bulls hit. The NFL championship is determined by one thing - the final score.

#16 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

The team that scores the most points in the Super Bowl wins it. The Ravens scored the most points. That's how football works.

You beat me by a minute.

#17 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

Things we've learned? The Ravens have a lot of areas that need a lot of work. DBs. O-line. WRs. TEs. RBs. Pass rush. STs. Coaching. Leadership. Etc.

Also, it's a fundamental understanding, but it's true nonetheless: it's hard to repeat after winning an NFL championship.

#18 West Chester Raven

West Chester Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Things I learned from Week 1? That I was right when I said we'd regret the Boldin trade

Was he traded because he truly had no value at more at his salary or was it really more becasue Harbs wanted to purge the locker room of remaining guys who may not always be: "rah, rah, rah" to his way of doing things?

#19 kelsey59

kelsey59

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:57 AM

Things I learned. yeah is an idiot.

#20 Airman

Airman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,953 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

As a Redskins fan, I learned that they can already put one game in the loss column. Denver is that good. Baltimore is a young team now and basically in a rebuilding phase. They will come around and Baltimore will be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users