18 replies to this topic

#1 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

I have no link or even the name of the man who said it, but did anyone else hear this comment on 105.7 FM this morning? He was speculating that the reason for the Keith Urban show at the harbor was to prevent black people from gathering downtown. That struck me as a pretty cynical take on a free concert, which I already thought was a pretty cynical ploy by the NFL to make up for their gaffe of forcing the Ravens to open the season on the road. As I reflect on it though, whether or not that was the reason, it seems to be how it worked out. Strikes me funny.

#2 Chesapeake Spirit

Chesapeake Spirit

King of the Neanderthals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

I have no link or even the name of the man who said it, but did anyone else hear this comment on 105.7 FM this morning? He was speculating that the reason for the Keith Urban show at the harbor was to prevent black people from gathering downtown. That struck me as a pretty cynical take on a free concert, which I already thought was a pretty cynical ploy by the NFL to make up for their gaffe of forcing the Ravens to open the season on the road. As I reflect on it though, whether or not that was the reason, it seems to be how it worked out. Strikes me funny.

I had the same thoughts, but the ploy could also have been to draw more rural types to the event so that they could bring additional revenue to the city????

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,690 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

It was Wally Williams a former Raven and he was joking

#4 Marshan Man

Marshan Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,412 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Didn't hear the comment, but that sounds about right.

#5 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Did it work? Aren't NFL games pretty much primarily a gathering of white people?

#6 TheResearcher

TheResearcher

Debonair, Handsome, Intelligent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

http://www.carlray.com/

"If you are wondering about the inspiration for the title cut, Play that Country Music Black Boy, Carl says, "As a teenager, 'Play that Funky Music White Boy' was one of my favorite songs and, if you are old enough to remember that song, you will also remember that the whole world couldn't resist singing and dancing along. I'm hoping my song has that same effect. Sooooo, get on your feet, clap those hands and be sure to sing along! By the way, all the lyrics in this song are based on actual incidents from my own concert experiences. As a matter of fact, when I think about it now; this song chose me, I didn't choose it. I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed living it and writing it."

#7 The Eternal White Belt

The Eternal White Belt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

http://www.carlray.com/

"If you are wondering about the inspiration for the title cut, Play that Country Music Black Boy, Carl says, "As a teenager, 'Play that Funky Music White Boy' was one of my favorite songs and, if you are old enough to remember that song, you will also remember that the whole world couldn't resist singing and dancing along. I'm hoping my song has that same effect. Sooooo, get on your feet, clap those hands and be sure to sing along! By the way, all the lyrics in this song are based on actual incidents from my own concert experiences. As a matter of fact, when I think about it now; this song chose me, I didn't choose it. I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed living it and writing it."

Thank you for that incredibly relevant post.

This is one of the funniest conspiracy theories I've ever read. Thank you.

#8 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,583 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

I think you may be on to something .......

and they did it back to back with a 3 day car race, for a week it looked like north dakota downtown :eek: .......

I think this ranks up with ray-ray's superbowl power outage conspire ......

seriously, j/k and from bk's post I know it was a joke .....

#9 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,092 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Did it work? Aren't NFL games pretty much primarily a gathering of white people?

Majority white fans in the stands, yes. I wouldn't mind experiencing it myself, but I'm not a big enough fan to spend that kind of money. But black folks are drawn as well..

http://darkroom.balt...y-parade-again/

Keith Urban as black people repellent? I had not considered that, but I think Toby Keith or a Norwegian death metal band would have worked better. Urban is an appealing guy, plays decent pop/country, and rips on the guitar. He's completely inoffensive.

I agree with Chesapeake Spirit...that it was an attempt to draw more people who might not otherwise go to the harbor.

#10 babylinux

babylinux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

but I think Toby Keith or a Norwegian death metal band would have worked better.

They should have this at the harbor!

DethFest

#11 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,488 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Majority white fans in the stands, yes. I wouldn't mind experiencing it myself, but I'm not a big enough fan to spend that kind of money. But black folks are drawn as well..

http://darkroom.balt...y-parade-again/

Keith Urban as black people repellent? I had not considered that, but I think Toby Keith or a Norwegian death metal band would have worked better. Urban is an appealing guy, plays decent pop/country, and rips on the guitar. He's completely inoffensive.

I agree with Chesapeake Spirit...that it was an attempt to draw more people who might not otherwise go to the harbor.

How many stabbings were there?

#12 lane17

lane17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

It's been a wonderful past 2 weeks for white folks- MD State Fair, Grand Prix, Keith Urban. Then to top it all off the kkk protests at Antietam battlefield.

#13 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,488 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:14 AM

It's been a wonderful past 2 weeks for white folks- MD State Fair, Grand Prix, Keith Urban. Then to top it all off the kkk protests at Antietam battlefield.

Everyday is paradise for us white folks.

But seriously how many people attended that idiotic KKK rally?

#14 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

It also prevented self-respecting white people from gathering downtown too. :P

#15 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

White in America

I hear riding the bus can be a real party for white people.

Not to mention free newspapers, instant loan approvals, etc.

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,690 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

White in America

I hear riding the bus can be a real party for white people.

Not to mention free newspapers, instant loan approvals, etc.

You finally posted something worthwhile. I knew you could do it. That was a hilarious skit

#17 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,092 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

But seriously how many people attended that idiotic KKK rally?

LOL, eight people.

http://articles.balt...ts-ku-klux-klan

#18 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,434 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, and the moon landing moon was staged and Obama is not an American.

#19 Marshan Man

Marshan Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,412 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Yeah, and the moon landing moon was staged and Obama is not an American.

What's the moon landing moon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users