13 replies to this topic

#1 aok

aok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

I can't believe this? A friend told me it was in the Sun or SI this am that Harbaugh knew nothing until asked the question why not challenge that pass? If this is true he either was sleeping himself and missed the game or his coaches in the booth should be fired.

#2 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,843 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

I can't believe this? A friend told me it was in the Sun or SI this am that Harbaugh knew nothing until asked the question why not challenge that pass? If this is true he either was sleeping himself and missed the game or his coaches in the booth should be fired.

He's full of crap. What did he think Graham was doing jumping up and down and pointing to the ground in such an animated fashion?

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 06 September 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#3 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

Then he's a ****in' Idiot!

#4 TigerBlood

TigerBlood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Then he's a ****in' Idiot!

He's a dishonest,arrogant, ****in' Idiot!

Seriously, I know that most coaches lie to the media, but not many seem to do it with the arrogance of Harbaugh. I seriously hope they are addressing this internally and somebody either gets demoted and/or fired. It may or may not have cost us the game in this case, but there could be a time in the future where it is even more critical.

#5 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,843 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

He's a dishonest,arrogant, ****in' Idiot!

Seriously, I know that most coaches lie to the media, but not many seem to do it with the arrogance of Harbaugh. I seriously hope they are addressing this internally and somebody either gets demoted and/or fired. It may or may not have cost us the game in this case, but there could be a time in the future where it is even more critical.

And that doesn't even take into account the fact that the replay feed was working fine when they successfully challenged the first ball that hit the ground. So what happened? All of a sudden, the feed stopped? And who is it that's actually SAYING the feed wasn't there? Mike Preston.

This pattern of Harbaugh spewing BS is nothing new; it's just how the guy rolls. But he got his contract extension, and he's got a much different situation this year than in past years (i.e. he's either going to swim with the rookies or sink with the over the hill vets). So we'll see how he handles it. If the first game is any sort of example, this is going to be a long season for John Harbaugh.

#6 afan

afan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

A coach must make this challenge. His players were going crazy as I watch the replay. He knew it but thought he would need to have his two challenges in tack for the rest of the game. As it was, why challenge that close one in the start when this one was actually more easily able to see. I think he wants to deflect blame but really he is throwing his coaches under the bus. He even received a extension. Maybe the boss should take this back. This one non call was a joke and JB was the comedian

#7 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,589 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

His players weren't "going crazy". Graham, and only Graham (nobody else) starts pointing at the ground. He wasn't jumping around. He does this for a few seconds, while he's getting in to position for the next play. Game Rewind doesn't lie. :) If coaches challenged every time a player starts waving for it, they'd be out of challenges by the 2nd quarter every week.

In the post-game, when asked about it, Harbaugh said he didn't know and made a crack about "It would have been nice if NBC showed us that". It's very possible that Harbaugh didn't know until after the game. They're not going to show it in the stadium for the visiting team on the big screen. Maybe that's an adjustment the league should mandate... that the on-field coaching staff is allowed access to ALL the same video regardless of which team a review might benefit. We really don't know who saw what in the coaching booth upstairs. Maybe none of them were watching the screen at that very moment. The previous play they challenged and won happened right in front of the Ravens sideline, this one happened on the other side of the field.

The real problem nearly everybody misses / ignores... is that EVERYBODY watching at home knew it was a bad call. Roger Goodell could have been sitting in his office in New York, and would have known it was a bad call before the next snap (we'll ignore broadcast delay!). A legally blind 90 year old great grandmother listening to the broadcast in Idaho knew it was a bad call. There's absolutely NOTHING to prevent the league from correcting that themselves before the next snap goes off... but we all sit around trying to figure out "What Harbaugh Knew And When He Knew It!?!?!?" The focus is misplaced to say the least.

The league puts ALL of the responsibility on a coaching staff to correct an official's bad call for 56 out of 60 minutes a game. Or on certain plays. That's stupid. Possession and in/out of bounds is a critical part of the game. Make sure it's right as often as possible. And it's of no significance to me WHO the "jilted" team is... I don't even want to see the Steelers get screwed thanks to bad calls. When some things can be fixed easily and quickly, do it. Don't make excuses.

#8 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,650 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

game strategy has never been his strong suit .......

he is a rah rah motivator guy .......

#9 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Here's the latest column on the controversy:

http://www.baltimore...,1227875.column

#10 jessup270

jessup270

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Lets make this red flag challenge information gathering process easy for Harbaugh.

I am saying this tongue in cheek.

Ravens should hire a really experienced formed NFL coaching type and assign him the task of instant replay information gathering from network telecasts.

The guy can even stay in his media room at this house. If the network broadcast indicates a challenge the guy can contact the Ravens coaching staff on a direct constant open line.

#11 Underseige

Underseige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

His players weren't "going crazy". Graham, and only Graham (nobody else) starts pointing at the ground. He wasn't jumping around. He does this for a few seconds, while he's getting in to position for the next play. Game Rewind doesn't lie. :) If coaches challenged every time a player starts waving for it, they'd be out of challenges by the 2nd quarter every week.

In the post-game, when asked about it, Harbaugh said he didn't know and made a crack about "It would have been nice if NBC showed us that". It's very possible that Harbaugh didn't know until after the game. They're not going to show it in the stadium for the visiting team on the big screen. Maybe that's an adjustment the league should mandate... that the on-field coaching staff is allowed access to ALL the same video regardless of which team a review might benefit. We really don't know who saw what in the coaching booth upstairs. Maybe none of them were watching the screen at that very moment. The previous play they challenged and won happened right in front of the Ravens sideline, this one happened on the other side of the field.

The real problem nearly everybody misses / ignores... is that EVERYBODY watching at home knew it was a bad call. Roger Goodell could have been sitting in his office in New York, and would have known it was a bad call before the next snap (we'll ignore broadcast delay!). A legally blind 90 year old great grandmother listening to the broadcast in Idaho knew it was a bad call. There's absolutely NOTHING to prevent the league from correcting that themselves before the next snap goes off... but we all sit around trying to figure out "What Harbaugh Knew And When He Knew It!?!?!?" The focus is misplaced to say the least.

The league puts ALL of the responsibility on a coaching staff to correct an official's bad call for 56 out of 60 minutes a game. Or on certain plays. That's stupid. Possession and in/out of bounds is a critical part of the game. Make sure it's right as often as possible. And it's of no significance to me WHO the "jilted" team is... I don't even want to see the Steelers get screwed thanks to bad calls. When some things can be fixed easily and quickly, do it. Don't make excuses.

all your insight is factual the one big fact you fail to write about is how 7 officials, I know they all have certain players and areas to observe, but how do all of them fail to see two obvious pass incompletions. this one was actually much easier for them to see as not only did the LJ have a nice view but the umpire was actually looking right into that area. If this is not enough the tell tale sign was Manning looking at Welker and Welker giving the motion to hurry to the line. No my amigo this smells and not being a Ravens BIG fan ,I can say this and say it without prejudice these officials saw fit to call the Ravens for barely touching the Denver receivers where on 4 occasions, right in front of the SJ and BJ ,the same one who called the Ravens on contact, well the Broncos were man handling the Ravens receivers. Now the missed calls and penalties all lead up to a badly called game for these Zebras and I for one am tired of the Mannings, Brady's being given special treatment. Now onto the NY teams.....

#12 tommyb

tommyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

The real issue is that Harbaugh needs to learn how to build a competent coaching staff...and get reliable information from his booth assistants. The feedback loop has always been terrible, but John is either too arrogant or too 'out to lunch' to realize he has a big problem. Build a system John! Also, let's stop with the lost, exasperated expressions on the sideline, Coach.....people might start to think you are confused. I fear we have a head coach that thinks he knows a lot more than he really knows. Being a leader does not involve never accepting blame or acknowledging one's mistakes. Players get reamed regularly, but John is never wrong. Something smells here.

#13 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,843 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

The real issue is that Harbaugh needs to learn how to build a competent coaching staff...and get reliable information from his booth assistants. The feedback loop has always been terrible, but John is either too arrogant or too 'out to lunch' to realize he has a big problem. Build a system John! Also, let's stop with the lost, exasperated expressions on the sideline, Coach.....people might start to think you are confused. I fear we have a head coach that thinks he knows a lot more than he really knows. Being a leader does not involve never accepting blame or acknowledging one's mistakes. Players get reamed regularly, but John is never wrong. Something smells here.

I've always enjoyed your posts. Still do. +1

#14 jessup270

jessup270

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

We have a head coach who is really just beginning his first year as a total head coach.

Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, plus Harbaugh, were a head coaching trio by committee.

Harbaugh only had his name on the door with the sign Head Coach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users