• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kandace

kandace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,284 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Volkswagen is working with the United Automobile Workers at its Chattanooga, Tenn., assembly plant on how to unionize the plant and create a German-style works council there, the president of the labor union said on Friday.

The company would be the first German automaker to have such a council at a United States plant. A works council is a group of employees, including both white- and blue-collar workers, that meets with management on issues like working conditions and productivity.

But to avoid violating American labor laws, the plant would first have to be formally unionized, the company said. “VW workers in Chattanooga have the unique opportunity to introduce this new model of labor relations to the United States, in partnership with the U.A.W.,” the union’s president, Bob King, said in a statement on Friday.

Good. Let the unionization of the Southern automotive complex begin. :)

#2 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,080 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

But I thought car companies hate Unions? :rolleyes:

#3 kandace

kandace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,284 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

But I thought car companies hate Unions? :rolleyes:

Basically, the UAW did someting I've thought they should have done a long time ago, demand that workers in the US be treated like workers in Germany. In Germany, workers councils cooperate with management in various levels of decisionmaking. To establish a workers' council in the US, however, a plant must first be unionhized. So once Volkswagen's acquiescence is obtained, unionization will have a green light. If Volkswagen is unionized, the BMW plant in South Carolina and the Mercedes pnats in Alabama will most likely be unionized along the same lines. If the Germans can all be unionized, the Japanese plants are next. After nearly 7 decades of fighting, the conquest of the Axis powers will be complete. :)

#4 songfourone

songfourone

#"Sir Why was I shot"?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

I knew there was a reason I love my VW :)

#5 Gopher

Gopher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

The Germans gave us the Third Reich and the Holocaust. That they would find unions appealing should come as no surprise.

#6 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,749 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

...and there's Godwin, only 5 posts in.

#7 caliber45

caliber45

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

I am German descent and resent that. I think the unions would be a good thing for them.

The Germans gave us the Third Reich and the Holocaust. That they would find unions appealing should come as no surprise.

#8 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,042 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

Volkswagon are overpriced junk. A perfect for for the UAW.

#9 songfourone

songfourone

#"Sir Why was I shot"?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

Farfegnugen :)

#10 karlydee

karlydee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

The overwhelming majority of VW plants worldwide are UNIONIZED.

VW also happens to be the most profitable auto manufacturer in the world.

"But if you’re wondering which carmaker is the biggest, most powerful company in the industry, it’s no contest: Volkswagen.

The German manufacturer has the highest revenues, profits and assets of any automaker, according to Forbes’ 2013 Global 2000 list. Its market value is second only to Toyota’s."

http://www.forbes.co...ding-automaker/

#11 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,549 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

Farfegnugen :)

Do you mean Fahrvergnügen?
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#12 songfourone

songfourone

#"Sir Why was I shot"?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

Do you mean Fahrvergnügen?

Would you believe I have an uncle that taught German for a couple of decades?

Love the cars, the language, not so much. LOL

#13 Papi

Papi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Volkswagen is working with the United Automobile Workers at its Chattanooga, Tenn., assembly plant on how to unionize the plant and create a German-style works council there, the president of the labor union said on Friday.

The company would be the first German automaker to have such a council at a United States plant. A works council is a group of employees, including both white- and blue-collar workers, that meets with management on issues like working conditions and productivity.

But to avoid violating American labor laws, the plant would first have to be formally unionized, the company said. “VW workers in Chattanooga have the unique opportunity to introduce this new model of labor relations to the United States, in partnership with the U.A.W.,” the union’s president, Bob King, said in a statement on Friday.

Good. Let the unionization of the Southern automotive complex begin. :)

Tennessee is a Right to Work state. Union membership cannot be forced on workers who choose not to join the union. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I suspect that Secretary of Labor Tom Perez, being a paid hack of the unions, will try to overrule the state law in Tennessee. I predict he will run into a huge backlash. The large article in the Sunday Sun about Perez and his stated goal to make the Department of Labor more powerful outlines his desire to make big government even bigger (an Obama disciple). The management at VW needs to challenge the idiotic notion that full unionization of the workforce must occur before a "works council" model can be tried. To suggest that only a union member from the workforce can have meaningful input to a works council is an insult to every non-union worker.

#14 OldBay

OldBay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Lots of owners of TDI-equipped models would disagree. Whether the turbodiesel is worth the price premium is debatable, but that diesel is not considered junk by automotive people.

#15 demopublican

demopublican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,042 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

Lots of owners of TDI-equipped models would disagree. Whether the turbodiesel is worth the price premium is debatable, but that diesel is not considered junk by automotive people.

Just look at any independent quality or dependability study.

#16 overtaxed

overtaxed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:11 AM

Just look at any independent quality or dependability study.

Not a study, but I know two people with them. Love them, 50 mpg. They were recalled, to put more stickers on the car to make sure the brain dead don't put gasoline in them. Maybe that had something to do with the dependability issue.

#17 demopublican

demopublican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,042 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:21 AM

Not a study, but I know two people with them. Love them, 50 mpg. They were recalled, to put more stickers on the car to make sure the brain dead don't put gasoline in them. Maybe that had something to do with the dependability issue.

Diesel is a better technology. Of course they new emissions controls on diesel might adjust some attitudes.
They now require DPF's and SRC and will need more maintenance and adjusted driving habits.

http://www.myturbodi...FAQ-VW-Audi.htm

But most of what volkswagon builds is gas powered. And the quality is substandard.

#18 yeah

yeah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

fantastic news for vw! great product, great workers

#19 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,549 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

Demo--

At least learn to spell the name of the car. VolkswagEn.
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#20 kandace

kandace

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,284 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

Volkswagen's factory at Chattanooga, Tennessee, is close to becoming the first U.S. car assembly plant run by a foreign company to have its workers officially represented by the United Auto Workers (UAW) union, a German paper reported.

"Yes, we have a majority," UAW boss Bob King was quoted saying by business daily Handelsblatt in a preview of an article to be published on Friday. More than 50 percent of the employees at the plant, which according to VW figures numbered 2,415, had signed union cards and registered as future union members, the paper said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users