Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Good Morning Baltimore! Your Birds Are About to Take Over 2nd Place & Wild Card Slot

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Alina Poe

Alina Poe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:53 PM

Wild Card Teams W L PCT WCGB WCE # L10 STRK LAST GAME NEXT GAME
Texas 80 61 .567 +3.0 - 4-6 L3 9/7 @ LAA, L 3-8 9/8 @ LAA, 3:35 PM
Tampa Bay 77 64 .546 - - 2-8 L3 9/7 @ SEA, L 2-6 9/8 @ SEA, 4:10 PM
Baltimore 76 65 .539 1.0 21 6-4 W3 9/7 vs CWS, W 4-3 9/8 vs CWS, 1:35 PM
Cleveland 76 65 .539 1.0 21 5-5 W4 9/7 vs NYM, W 9-4 9/8 vs NYM, 1:05 PM
NY Yankees 75 67 .528 2.5 19 5-5 L3 9/7 vs BOS, L 9-13 9/8 vs BOS, 1:05 PM
Kansas City 74 68 .521 3.5 18 6-4 W1 9/7 vs DET, W 4-3 9/8 vs DET, 2:10 PM

Seattle keeps losing. They were once leading all of baseball in RISP team average but now they can't do jack. It happens. Players press and forget to just let the game come to them. The O's have been guilty of this too but have ben jacking the ball out to get wins. (for the most part.)

I did not think the Rangers could be caught but having lost three in a row, the O's are only four back with 21 to go. That is do-able.

A. Poe

UC Berkeley

Go Bears!

#2 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

Got to win 3/4 vs. the yankees, not 2/4, 3/4 or better. Then they have a long road trip.

#3 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,906 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

Alina Poe is turning into the new TravisMoon. Cursed them. :P

#4 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

Alina Poe is turning into the new TravisMoon. Cursed them. :P

Where's LockerCombo when you need him? When he made predictions, Baltimore teams won.

#5 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

they have played better this season than I thought they would , but I just don't see them making the playoffs. In the 4 gm series with Chi. they went something like 3 for 37 with RISP, the rest of the games are in the AL east and I don't think they have it in them, but that doesn't mean that I am not going to be sittting here every nite and rooting my *** off for them. GO O"S!!!!!

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,835 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

Seattle keeps losing. They were once leading all of baseball in RISP team average but now they can't do jack. It happens. Players press and forget to just let the game come to them. The O's have been guilty of this too but have ben jacking the ball out to get wins. (for the most part.)

I did not think the Rangers could be caught but having lost three in a row, the O's are only four back with 21 to go. That is do-able

It's funny how you don't post when they lose. Quite Mooneyesque of you

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

It's funny how you don't post when they lose. Quite Mooneyesque of you

the "Bay area" character doesn't seem to be fooling anyone.

#8 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

I have been obsessing (with good reason IMO) about this runners in scoring position thing. Looking at statistics (link), the Orioles are actually 7th best in baseball in this area, and among the wild card chasers only the Yankees are slightly better. Strangely, the very worst team in baseball in this category is Boston. Over the last three games, however, the Birds are fifth from worst in baseball, and all the teams they are competing with are right down there with them. Of course in home runs the Orioles are in a league by themselves, but in the last three games they only had one.

My question is why? What is it that such a good offensive team does different in pressure situations that makes such a dramatic difference? By the way last year the Birds were second best in baseball w/RISP. Just strange and frustrating to me.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

I have been obsessing (with good reason IMO) about this runners in scoring position thing. Looking at statistics (link), the Orioles are actually 7th best in baseball in this area, and among the wild card chasers only the Yankees are slightly better. Strangely, the very worst team in baseball in this category is Boston. Over the last three games, however, the Birds are fifth from worst in baseball, and all the teams they are competing with are right down there with them. Of course in home runs the Orioles are in a league by themselves, but in the last three games they only had one.

My question is why? What is it that such a good offensive team does different in pressure situations that makes such a dramatic difference? By the way last year the Birds were second best in baseball w/RISP. Just strange and frustrating to me.

with regard to the season long stats, I think they may be heavily propped up by the production in April & May. for 2 months, the O's were mashing everything they saw. my impression is that the offense tapered off during June/July, but they still did well. the starting rotation was in such disarray, the offense carried the team thru the middle 3rd of the season. but I think driving in RISP has been a glaring issue in Aug+

#10 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

with regard to the season long stats, I think they may be heavily propped up by the production in April & May. for 2 months, the O's were mashing everything they saw. my impression is that the offense tapered off during June/July, but they still did well. the starting rotation was in such disarray, the offense carried the team thru the middle 3rd of the season. but I think driving in RISP has been a glaring issue in Aug+

That's been clearly my impression as well. Saturday was so damned frustrating that I actually failed to enjoy Wieters' walk-off single. I felt more like "it's about damned time" than "wow!".

Runs by any other method then the HR have been scarce lately, and IIRC the stat provided during a recent game, some 46% of the O's runs for the season have been by HR. Not sure how that compares to other teams and/or historically, but it seems like an awfully high number without further analysis.

#11 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,906 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

O's are 10 for 71 (.141) in September with RISP. In August, they were 58 for 215 (.270).

#12 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

O's are 10 for 71 (.141) in September with RISP. In August, they were 58 for 215 (.270).

Thanks Rob. I'm surprised it was as high as .270 in Aug. It "felt" much lower.

#13 elj1201

elj1201

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:12 AM

Where's LockerCombo when you need him? When he made predictions, Baltimore teams won.

I miss that kid. RIP

#14 Alina Poe

Alina Poe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

the "Bay area" character doesn't seem to be fooling anyone.

I have no idea what you mean by that.

I didn't post yesterday because I went to the Oakland As game, then stayed with a friend and did not have internet access. I have been posting almost every day, win or lose. At any rate, I am sorry that I "jinxed" the team. When I got to the Coliseum (we take BART and go early) I saw the 4-1 score in the fifth inning and could hardly believe it.

Anyway, I find it very odd that it is considered a bad thing to believe in the team. I too have self-loathing but I find other ways to deal with it other than projecting it on a sports team. Of course,in fairness, I have been away from Baltimore for so many years that I have not had to endure the frustration of all those losing years and develop a fatalistic attitude.

I think the Orioles have as good a chance of making the playoffs as all the other teams in contention. I also think my Cal Bears have a chance to beat Ohio State this weekend. Call me Pollyanna. But having faith and a positive attitude is a good thing.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

after the O's won, I wanted to see which other teams in the WC hunt were playing, and how they were doing. in the AL east, only the O's and Yankees played. in the AL central, the Royals and Indians played each other. in the AL west, the only playoff caliber team to play was the Rangers. the A's had off last night, so any team that won would have gained 1/2 a game on the idle A's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users