3 replies to this topic

#1 MrsT

MrsT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

http://www.baltimore...0,5261314.story

I disagree that Maryland's certification standards are too tough...and I say this as a career-changer. Mr. Holderness must not understand that ALL content requires reading, and if he'd stayed with it he'd have understood that. Teaching is not something one should do on a whim, and if he's that easily deterred I say "Thank you" for not joining our ranks.

I'm not saying that a Master's is the be-all/end-all--some teachers are very knowledgeable, but don't don't know how to connect with students and teach THEM the content. That's a whole other issue.

I haven't been around for a while...hope all is well on Sunspot!

#2 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,003 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

A recent report by the Calvert Institute for Policy Research found that becoming certified to teach in Maryland is so burdensome that it is causing teacher shortages in key subjects such as science, math and special education. And the report suggests that the state should alter some of its teacher certification requirements to open up the field to a larger number of candidates.

"Maryland's teacher certification policies are ill-conceived and counterproductive, particularly when compared to many other states' certification policies," said Christopher Ryan, the report's author.

Mr. Holderness decided against being a teacher because he didn't think the curriculum was what he needed.

Good to see you, MrsT
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#3 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

If you have a PHD in math you can't teach unless you are certified. District will hire you but only on a temp basis.
The funny thing is the people doing the hiring are admins who are teacher wash outs!

#4 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,593 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

Maryland is among eight states that require a master's degree in education or an equivalent number of classes for a license. Teachers who enter the profession without a master's can go through an alternative certification program or they can begin teaching and work toward a master's.

I know a couple people who started teaching and worked towards a master. Didn't seem too bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users