10 replies to this topic

#1 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Someone please explain to me the ethics here that got Gerardi and Showalter all bent out of shape last night. Apparently Gerardi accused the Orioles coach of stealing signs, which brought Showalter out of the dugout to "defend his players" like a raging bull. Is stealing signs like a violation of the baseball code? It seems to me, if my team gets your team's signs it's on you for being stupid with your signs. I would hope my team is trying like hell to get your team's signs. And here's these guys acting like it is an abomination before the Lord.

Compared to having a guy playing for your team who should have been long since thrown out of baseball, stealing signs seems like pretty small potatoes to me.

#2 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

Someone please explain to me the ethics here that got Gerardi and Showalter all bent out of shape last night. Apparently Gerardi accused the Orioles coach of stealing signs, which brought Showalter out of the dugout to "defend his players" like a raging bull. Is stealing signs like a violation of the baseball code? It seems to me, if my team gets your team's signs it's on you for being stupid with your signs. I would hope my team is trying like hell to get your team's signs. And here's these guys acting like it is an abomination before the Lord.

Compared to having a guy playing for your team who should have been long since thrown out of baseball, stealing signs seems like pretty small potatoes to me.

First of all, what proof does Gerardi have that signs were in fact, being stolen? Maybe the coach just guessed right. Gerardi can be a hot head at times and maybe there was a history of this kind of activity before the series started. Who knows. Either way, Showalter didn't appreciate having his coaches accused of that and he reacted quite explosively. Maybe he too, had heard through the grape vine that the Yankees were saying this was going on earlier in the year. And one thing is for sure- the Yankees are going to do everything in their power to gain an advantage too. When I heard this morning what the origin of the confrontation was, I almost laughed. I thought it was something a lot more serious. Players and coaches have been stealing signs since the beginning of the sport. Who cares.

#3 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,518 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

Yeah, I never got the big deal if you're using your wits rather than some mechanical or optical device.

#4 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

It is a violation of the code IF you get caught. Everyone does it. Guys like Gibson and Drysdale would throw at you if you tried it.

#5 Icterus Galbula

Icterus Galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

I did not realize a 3B coach could do that. I always thought you needed a runner on 2B. Regardless, Buck said if the O's had the signs Manny would not have bunted. I do not know enough field strategy to know whether that makes a lot of sense or not.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

Girardi is just losing his cool because he realizes he isn't going to make the playoffs. in NY, that means you should start putting together your resume.

stealing signs has been happening for a century. everyone does it, including Joe

#7 mythoughts

mythoughts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,935 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

What people need to understand is that every Manager, Coach and Player in the game will always try to do 2 things:
1) try to steal signs whenever possible from the other team and
2) protect, protest and retaliate against another team from doing the same.

Like the thread title says - BIG DEAL :rolleyes:

#8 mythoughts

mythoughts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,935 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

This is like getting a peak down the blouse of a pretty woman.
Yeah, maybe I shouldn't do it, but if I'm given the opportunity to, I'm going to do it and just hope I don't get caught.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,864 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

This is like getting a peak down the blouse of a pretty woman.
Yeah, maybe I shouldn't do it, but if I'm given the opportunity to, I'm going to do it and just hope I don't get caught.

you reminded me of this scene

Costanza

#10 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

Costanza

It's like looking at the sun... You dont stare at it... You get a sense of it then you look away!

#11 mythoughts

mythoughts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,935 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

Costanza

Never seen that before - that was hilarious!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users