The Opener

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,115 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

well, I can't use the word closer to describe a guy who has blown ~25% of his save opportunities. he's really more of an Opener. he opens the door for opposing teams to win the game.

Johnson, in my opinion, is one of the most interesting storylines of the upcoming offseason. He has one more year of arbitration remaining and likely could command roughly $9 million or more in 2014. He’ll have more saves in the past two seasons than any other closer in the American League. But do you pay that kind of money for a closer who has nine blown saves and eight losses in the previous season? Do you pay that kind of money for a closer, period?

http://www.baltimore...y#ixzz2elu8ZRqI

#2 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

Duquette & Showalter are just dumb enough to pay him and use him again next year

#3 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Duquette & Showalter are just dumb enough to pay him and use him again next year

Johnson has never been the typical closer. He will be reupped in arbitration but I'd expect mgmt to finally follow through with past statements about his suitability for a spot in the rotation. With Gausman and Bundy likely best delayed until '15, and both Rodriguez and Wright nipping at their heals, the O's will need a bridge and augment to Tillman, Gonzalez and Chen next year. That's Norris and Johnson unless Duquette finds a turd to polish.

#4 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,411 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

You look back at his career resume, and you see that in the previous 4 seasons, as more of a "spot" closer, he blew about 45% of his saves. 2012 was the exception. Just like it was for Hammel. 2013 is much closer to the norm for him.

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,115 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Johnson has never been the typical closer. He will be reupped in arbitration but I'd expect mgmt to finally follow through with past statements about his suitability for a spot in the rotation. With Gausman and Bundy likely best delayed until '15, and both Rodriguez and Wright nipping at their heals, the O's will need a bridge and augment to Tillman, Gonzalez and Chen next year. That's Norris and Johnson unless Duquette finds a turd to polish.

I'm torn on this. on one hand, he'll be pitching from the beginning of the game, so if he runs into trouble, it's not do or die time. he would have a few innings to work it out. but then I think, if he can't routinely go 1 inning without giving up runs, how can he pitch multiple innings? it seems like a recipe for burning out the BP by asking them to routinely relieve him in the 3rd and asked to hold the other team to their 6 run lead.

I know I'm exaggerating things. that's just the frustration that I won't be going to any playoff games at the yard this Oct.

#6 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,216 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

Not everyone can be Craig Kimbrel.

#7 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

Not everyone can be Craig Kimbrel.

You mean the guy that blew 8 saves two years ago?

#8 Creekman

Creekman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Bring back Don Stanhouse.

#9 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,216 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

You mean the guy that blew 8 saves two years ago?

Yes. And it pissed me off. But now he is untouchable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users