• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

It might have been a good thing that the boards were down with the way we played in do-or-die time.

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,665 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

It might have been a good thing that the boards were down with the way we played during crunch time.

when did that happen?

I basically power down with the boards, so I don't know what's been going on for the past 2 weeks :D

honestly though, what a collapse. another 6 game losing streak to end their season.

oh well, Schoop had a real nice first game. now we can all start throwing out ideas on what we would like to see the FO do this winter.

#3 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

That was very disappointing. Although I can't say most of us didn't see it coming. Starting pitching started to come around and the bats disappeared... Story of the season (well one of them).

Generally speaking its pretty clear what the front office needs to do this winter. Starting with shaking up the lineup a little bit and adding some guys who can get on base. And of course add a top of the line starting pitcher. Also improving the bench would be nice. If they put more or less the same product on the field next year we'll get pretty much the same results if not worse.

Peter Schmuck had a pretty good piece the other day saying the time is right now for the O's to make some real moves... Absolutely no way you could argue with that. The time was last off season as well but we now know how well that went.

Lastly, so thankful Manny's injury isn't quite as bad as it looked.

#4 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,098 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

The way the team was playing, missing the playoffs is no great loss; they would have been one and done anyway. The Tampa Bay series was essentially a playoff, since it meant their elimination, and look how they responded. What a disaster. A team with one-dimensional, non-clutch hitters is going to get shut down by the kind of pitching playoff contenders run out there.

The off season mission is comically pretty much the same as last year. A top of the rotation starter, a big-league everyday second baseman, and an intimidating DH in the middle of the lineup. To that I would add an upgrade offensively to the corner outfielders. And maybe a hitting coach that will stress working the count and situational hitting strategies.

#5 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,603 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

It might have been a good thing that the boards were down with the way we played in do-or-die time.

It was over when that fraud Brian Roberts came back.

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,763 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

And maybe a hitting coach that will stress working the count and situational hitting strategies.

Does a professional baseball player really need to be told that by a coach?

#7 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Obviously yes they do.

#8 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,955 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

Some of these guys are who they are. No amount of telling them to work counts and so forth is going to change that. You need to teach that stuff in the minors.

#9 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

Need LF and a "real" #1 starter in 2014. Over pay to get King Felix.

#10 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

O's finish with a winning for the second time this century, this has been a great year If you aren't thrilled, you're not a real O's fan

#11 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,317 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:36 PM

This season died last winter.

They won a few more games than I figured, probably thanks to the hot starts of Machado and Davis, but I really expected the mediocrity we ultimately got.

The organization pretty much marched in place this season -- I don't really see much that happened to improve the long term prospects of the team.

#12 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

This season died last winter.

They won a few more games than I figured, probably thanks to the hot starts of Machado and Davis, but I really expected the mediocrity we ultimately got.

The organization pretty much marched in place this season -- I don't really see much that happened to improve the long term prospects of the team.

What we did do was trade some more prospects for marginal players like Morse and Feldman. We basically depleted an already thin farm system

#13 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

I actually have a different perspective. Aside from the pitching the O's really suffered from a lousy bench. Wieters, Jones, Markakis, Machado all played every day and there's no denying that they were run down by the end of the year. We need a really good back up catcher and a legit dh. And yes, we need a pitcher.

#14 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,593 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

I think my feelings are pretty clear at this point.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,665 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

What we did do was trade some more prospects for marginal players like Morse and Feldman. We basically depleted an already thin farm system

true, but only one of those prospects is projected to be an impact player (Hader - in the Norris trade). and they got a solid back of the rotation pitcher who is under team control for a few years. it's not the greatest trade ever pulled off, but the O's were legitimate contenders when the deal was done, so it was the right thing to do.

all the other people - Arietta, Strope, Delmonica, Avery, et al. those guys weren't going to make a difference for the O's.

#16 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,955 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

The elimination game against Toronto pretty much summed up the season.

1 run loss.
Extra inning loss.
2 runs scored, both via solo home runs.
1-6 w/RISP, 19 LOB.
DH was some guy I never heard of batting 8th, he went 0-4, 5 LOB.
In a bases loaded less than 2 outs situation they scored no runs.
The bullpen was handed a lead which they promptly blew.
With the tying run on base, Markakis made the final out.

#17 Jabez

Jabez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

The way the team was playing, missing the playoffs is no great loss; they would have been one and done anyway. The Tampa Bay series was essentially a playoff, since it meant their elimination, and look how they responded. What a disaster. A team with one-dimensional, non-clutch hitters is going to get shut down by the kind of pitching playoff contenders run out there.

The off season mission is comically pretty much the same as last year. A top of the rotation starter, a big-league everyday second baseman, and an intimidating DH in the middle of the lineup. To that I would add an upgrade offensively to the corner outfielders. And maybe a hitting coach that will stress working the count and situational hitting strategies.

Couldn't have said it better, Steve. Pressley should get the ax come Monday. Simply atrocious hitting applications all year long. I still need to know what Buck meant when he said a few weeks back in the SUN ..... we want our hitters to " Hit to Take. " Been around the game way too long and have no idea what that means ?????

#18 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

I actually have a different perspective. Aside from the pitching the O's really suffered from a lousy bench. Wieters, Jones, Markakis, Machado all played every day and there's no denying that they were run down by the end of the year. We need a really good back up catcher and a legit dh. And yes, we need a pitcher.

we also need to be able to put out there a all right handed hitting OF vs lefties.

#19 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,955 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Markakis will make 15 million next year. I can't see them platooning him. Besides he hits lefties and righties equally well (or not so well).

#20 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,098 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

The elimination game against Toronto pretty much summed up the season.

1 run loss.
Extra inning loss.
2 runs scored, both via solo home runs.
1-6 w/RISP, 19 LOB.
DH was some guy I never heard of batting 8th, he went 0-4, 5 LOB.
In a bases loaded less than 2 outs situation they scored no runs.
The bullpen was handed a lead which they promptly blew.
With the tying run on base, Markakis made the final out.

Nailed it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users