• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 afan

afan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

For his 1st 5 years in football old Joe Cool has not only been good but has done something even the great Manning, Brady and other Elites have not done. He has made the playoffs in all his years. Not only this but Joe Cool has won a SB and I believe is tied with Brady for best winning percentage in the playoffs.

All this being said and finally in this year he is leading the NFL in yards and completion percentage on 3rd down this year. Now the question was asked, do you think Joe Flacco was that good before and now no other thread should be started about Flacco because ......yes he is just that good.

#2 classea5

classea5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Joe is going to keep getting better and better. The best GM in the business knew what he was doing when he drafted Joe.

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,584 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

Joe is a good QB. He's never going to be in the category of the all-time greats (at least statistically), but he's good enough to win a Superbowl, and that's all that really matters.

#4 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

I like the way he wins games while defying the fantasy statistic geeks in their quest to define the game by numbers and the celebrity geeks who demand an over the top personality. Football is a team game and Flacco is a team leader and plays in a team concept and that is how the Ravens play and win.

#5 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,729 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

I like the way he wins games while defying the fantasy statistic geeks in their quest to define the game by numbers and the celebrity geeks who demand an over the top personality. Football is a team game and Flacco is a team leader and plays in a team concept and that is how the Ravens play and win.

^^^This.

(Plus, he's managed to set several records on his own. So the haters are just gonna have to hate. Time will prove them wrong. Just like when they said Joe would never win a Super Bowl for the Ravens. They were wrong then, and they'll be wrong again. Joe has done more with less than any other QB, whether or not it's reflected in FF or Madden stats.)

#6 bmorepunk

bmorepunk

I Can't Read Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Isn't there already a billion page long thread on this?

#7 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,525 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Flacco is a good quarterback. I would say his record and statistics should place him in the top 5-10 QB's currently in the game. But having his team in the playoffs for 5 consecutive years is only partly attributable to him. Other teams have accomplished this feat. The Steelers under Bill Cowher went to the playoffs in his first 6 seasons with Neil O'Donnel as QB for the first 5 of them. I doubt anyone would consider O'Donnell anything more than an average QB. The Los Angeles Rams made the playoffs in Chuck Knox's first 5 years back in the 70's with various QB's including James Harris and Pat Haden. The five year run speaks more to the organization's ability to draft well, acquire key free agents, and assemble talent to be competitive for that long of a run. Flacco is certainly a key part of that, but more important than him is having an organization that understands how to put together a winning team, and a coaching staff that gets the talent to perform at a high level most of the time.

#8 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,729 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

Flacco is a good quarterback. I would say his record and statistics should place him in the top 5-10 QB's currently in the game. But having his team in the playoffs for 5 consecutive years is only partly attributable to him. Other teams have accomplished this feat. The Steelers under Bill Cowher went to the playoffs in his first 6 seasons with Neil O'Donnel as QB for the first 5 of them. I doubt anyone would consider O'Donnell anything more than an average QB. The Los Angeles Rams made the playoffs in Chuck Knox's first 5 years back in the 70's with various QB's including James Harris and Pat Haden. The five year run speaks more to the organization's ability to draft well, acquire key free agents, and assemble talent to be competitive for that long of a run. Flacco is certainly a key part of that, but more important than him is having an organization that understands how to put together a winning team, and a coaching staff that gets the talent to perform at a high level most of the time.

I respectfully disagree. The organization, with very few notable exceptions, did not surround Joe with a top 10 O-line or top 10 receivers/TEs. Similarly, the defense while Joe was here was not dominant the way it was when Boller was here. Neither was the special teams. And most notably, neither was the coaching staff in the person of Cam Cameron. The one stable/excellent element over the past five years has been Joe Flacco. He has done more with less than ANY other QB in the league, and his arm and smarts place him in the top 5 as far as I'm concerned. As with any opinion, your mileage can and will vary.

#9 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,584 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

I respectfully disagree. The organization, with very few notable exceptions, did not surround Joe with a top 10 O-line or top 10 receivers/TEs. Similarly, the defense while Joe was here was not dominant the way it was when Boller was here. Neither was the special teams. And most notably, neither was the coaching staff in the person of Cam Cameron. The one stable/excellent element over the past five years has been Joe Flacco. He has done more with less than ANY other QB in the league, and his arm and smarts place him in the top 5 as far as I'm concerned. As with any opinion, your mileage can and will vary.

Ray Rice says hello.

So does John Harbaugh.

I won't argue that Joe is good, but I think it's incorrect to assert that the best player on the offensive side of the ball for the last five years has been Rice (McGahee in Rice's rookie season).

#10 bawlmerbob

bawlmerbob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

True this. It is a team game.

#11 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

True this. It is a team game.

Yes it is a team game but take Manning out of Denver, Brady out of New England and what do you have/ Cleveland, Tampa, Jacksonville etc etc etc. Just saying.lol.

#12 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,729 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

Yes it is a team game but take Manning out of Denver, Brady out of New England and what do you have/ Cleveland, Tampa, Jacksonville etc etc etc. Just saying.lol.

And take Joe out of the Ravens and you have...well, the Ravens for all the years PRIOR to Joe arriving. (Just without the dominant D.) Joe is the single most critical difference on offense. Period. The Ravens have had better D's, better TEs (Heap in his prime), and even better RBs (Jamal Lewis, for example). The key difference in the Ravens' success since his arrival has been Joe. He can and does make ALL the throws, and his success in the Red Zone is outstanding. He's also played in every game since he started, and has set records that speak for themselves for the first 5 years of any QB to have ever played the game.

Look at Cincy. Weak link: Dalton. Look at Houston. Weak link: Schaub. I believe that if EITHER one of those teams had Joe, they'd have gotten further along than they have. Of course, that's just my opinion. But week in/week out, the comments of those calling the games -- supported by what's happening on the field -- AND by people like Cosell and Jaworski, bolster that position.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 29 September 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#13 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Joe Flacco would have sat the bench his 1st year if 2 other QB's did not get hurt or sick. Would he have made the field his second year ,maybe but I would bet the Ravens would have drafted or traded for another QB the next year. Is Flacco that good today. Well I think today's game shows just how overrated Flacco is and actually hurts his team at times as he is back into the Deer with eyes in headlights days

#14 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,525 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

That's fine. I am not arguing that Flacco is not a good QB. I am arguing that it is more the organization that assembles a team. Without Flacco it is almost certainly true that the Ravens would not have gone to the playoffs 5 straight years and surely would not have won a superbowl. But I disagree that they have not surrounded him with some talent. It's true that the Raven's O-line has been inconsistent since he has been here, but compare that to Roethlisberger's O-line that he has dealt with and still gone to 3 superbowls. And even though the defense has been statistically declining during the last 5 years, one thing they have continued to be good at is keeping teams out of the end zone and making them settle for 3 instead of 7. Again, not an argument against Flacco, just an argument that he has had more to work with as a total team then most other QB's in the league have had. This is an organization that brought in Boldin and drafted Pitta, Rice, and Torrey Smith. Take them out of the equation and I doubt the Ravens make the playoffs 5 straight years with any other QB either.

#15 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,729 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

That's fine. I am not arguing that Flacco is not a good QB. I am arguing that it is more the organization that assembles a team. Without Flacco it is almost certainly true that the Ravens would not have gone to the playoffs 5 straight years and surely would not have won a superbowl. But I disagree that they have not surrounded him with some talent. It's true that the Raven's O-line has been inconsistent since he has been here, but compare that to Roethlisberger's O-line that he has dealt with and still gone to 3 superbowls. And even though the defense has been statistically declining during the last 5 years, one thing they have continued to be good at is keeping teams out of the end zone and making them settle for 3 instead of 7. Again, not an argument against Flacco, just an argument that he has had more to work with as a total team then most other QB's in the league have had. This is an organization that brought in Boldin and drafted Pitta, Rice, and Torrey Smith. Take them out of the equation and I doubt the Ravens make the playoffs 5 straight years with any other QB either.

I don't necessarily disagree; what I feel is that of the different parts of the equation, Joe is the most important, and the organization has actually done a rather poor job of putting together a top notch team around him. They have wasted too much money on Ngata and Suggs; have done a very poor job with the O-line (and just because the Steelers have also done a poor job with their O-line, that has no bearing on the poor job the Ravens have done); the D couldn't hold leads late in the game even when Rex was here during Harbaugh's first year as HC; etc. So while the Ravens generally do a better job than most, it's been mainly focused on the defense, and since we're talking about the QB here, when it comes to the offense they have done an average job at best, IMO.

#16 West Chester Raven

West Chester Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

I don't necessarily disagree; what I feel is that of the different parts of the equation, Joe is the most important, and the organization has actually done a rather poor job of putting together a top notch team around him. They have wasted too much money on Ngata and Suggs; have done a very poor job with the O-line (and just because the Steelers have also done a poor job with their O-line, that has no bearing on the poor job the Ravens have done); the D couldn't hold leads late in the game even when Rex was here during Harbaugh's first year as HC; etc. So while the Ravens generally do a better job than most, it's been mainly focused on the defense, and since we're talking about the QB here, when it comes to the offense they have done an average job at best, IMO.

Keep talkin. Joe's play will not back you up. As the season progresses, you wll have to dig deeper and deeper and deeper to come up with ways to convince yourself that he's the guy.

#17 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,729 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

Keep talkin. Joe's play will not back you up. As the season progresses, you wll have to dig deeper and deeper and deeper to come up with ways to convince yourself that he's the guy.

It must really suck to be you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users