Barry Zito (36) - $18MM club option with a $7MM buyout

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,593 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Anyone they sign will be 34 or over, of little consequence, and on the cheap.

They'll say that this year they had some bad luck and should have had a better record than before, stand pat, and go into next year expecting more magic.

#3 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

Who I would sign and who King Peter would pay for are 2 different things.

I'd sign Hughes cheaply and trade for a #1 under 30 who wears Seattle on his jersey. That organization is a mess and needs players.

#4 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,317 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

They'll say that this year they had some bad luck and should have had a better record than before, stand pat, and go into next year expecting more magic.

This can be applied to the other positions of need, as well.

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,770 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

With the fact that Shields has a club option at $12M means he's not going anywhere, I'd look at Halladay for the right price if he's healthy. If not Kazmir or Garza

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,770 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Who I would sign and who King Peter would pay for are 2 different things.

I'd sign Hughes cheaply and trade for a #1 under 30 who wears Seattle on his jersey. That organization is a mess and needs players.

HA HA HA, I had that dream last night too. So today I went to get a Rolex and offered a xbox 360 in trade. It didn't go well :)

#7 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hughes as in Phil Hughes? No thanks. He needs to pitch in a big park like Safeco or Yellowstone.

#8 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

I wonder if you'll ever get tired of being so consistently premature and wrong.

#9 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,593 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

Yeah I really missed the boat about this season, didn't I?

They did exactly what I said last year. The front office hasn't changed, and neither has their philosophy.

#10 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,481 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

I don't think he's necessarily so wrong. Last year the O's had an unbelievable one run game record and extra inning record. That wasn't all talent, there is a considerable amount of luck with that as well. This year they came back to reality. It was obvious they needed another good proven pitcher at the trading deadline. They could have gone after Cliff Lee, but that would have meant Angelos would have to part with some money. Instead they did what they always do and went after marginal pitchers in Feldman and Norris and hoped that they would overachieve. They had one of the best defenses in baseball this year and wasted it because they wouldn't pony up the money to go after a pitcher and another big bat that might have put them over the top. I think standing pat and hoping for better luck fits the Peter Angelos plan perfectly. Attendance was way up this year, and that's probably all he really cares about anyway.

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,770 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

I don't think he's necessarily so wrong. Last year the O's had an unbelievable one run game record and extra inning record. That wasn't all talent, there is a considerable amount of luck with that as well. This year they came back to reality. It was obvious they needed another good proven pitcher at the trading deadline. They could have gone after Cliff Lee, but that would have meant Angelos would have to part with some money. Instead they did what they always do and went after marginal pitchers in Feldman and Norris and hoped that they would overachieve. They had one of the best defenses in baseball this year and wasted it because they wouldn't pony up the money to go after a pitcher and another big bat that might have put them over the top. I think standing pat and hoping for better luck fits the Peter Angelos plan perfectly. Attendance was way up this year, and that's probably all he really cares about anyway.

Stay tuned for the same this off season. I do think Slide tends to be overly critical, but he's spot on with the O's front office. If they had actually spent some money on a front line starter, a lot of those Arrieta and Garcia losses may have been wins and we'd be in the post season again.

#12 Morgan208

Morgan208

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

With the fact that Shields has a club option at $12M means he's not going anywhere, I'd look at Halladay for the right price if he's healthy. If not Kazmir or Garza

Yes,yes and yes!

#13 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Yeah I really missed the boat about this season, didn't I?

They did exactly what I said last year. The front office hasn't changed, and neither has their philosophy.

Despite your prognosticating, the O's were in the hunt until the middle of September. They were hardly an 'afterthought' in August, they were playing meaningful games in August.

In my opinion, the team choked going down the stretch, this was especially true offensively. Yes, it was frustrating.

#14 Joy in Mudville

Joy in Mudville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,959 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Stay tuned for the same this off season. I do think Slide tends to be overly critical, but he's spot on with the O's front office. If they had actually spent some money on a front line starter, a lot of those Arrieta and Garcia losses may have been wins and we'd be in the post season again.

Arrieta has spectacular stuff. Unfortunately, he's a head case. We spent way too much time hoping he'd put it together ala Tillman but Arrieta doesn't have Tillman's mental makeup. I also feel like we ran Strop out there too many times when it was clear that he was snakebit.

#15 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

My guess is the Orioles will hotly pursue Bronson Arroyo and Bruce Chen. Or maybe Chris Carpenter. They all fit the Oriole mould.

#16 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,665 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

It was obvious they needed another good proven pitcher at the trading deadline. They could have gone after Cliff Lee, but that would have meant Angelos would have to part with some money.

you're preaching to the choir when you talk about PGA not spending money. but this is a bad example since Lee wasn't available. Philly isn't rebuilding, they're going to re-load this winter. the only front line starter that was moved was Garza. but trading isn't as easy as just buying on the open market. Garza would have cost more than the O's could afford. they didn't have a Mike Olt to offer up to the Cubs. Feldman and Norris match the caliber of prospects the O's had to deal.

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,770 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

My guess is the Orioles will hotly pursue Bronson Arroyo and Bruce Chen. Or maybe Chris Carpenter. They all fit the Oriole mould.

God I hope you're wrong

#18 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

God I hope you're wrong

Older, average (or once good then injured), probably pretty cheap. Yep. Those are the Orioles' targets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users