Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Who wins in the Ravens@Steelers?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Who wins in the Ravens@Steelers game? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who wins in the Ravens@Steelers game?

1. Ravens (8 votes [61.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

2. Steelers (5 votes [38.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

I say the Ravens win. But only because the Steelers, at this point in time, appear to be worse than the Ravens. And I think the Ravens will be (or at least should be) highly motivated.

#2 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Ravens.

Great quote I saw about the game: "The team who's offensive line plays less terrible will win."

#3 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

I says Steelers, but only because when I pick the opponent, the Ravens win.

"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#4 CajunRaven

CajunRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

I says Steelers, but only because when I pick the opponent, the Ravens win.

Good job.

Ravens win - only because the Steelers have fallen farther.

Our biggest problem may be Castillo.

Is it Football Season yet?

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

#5 EdinMB

EdinMB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Steelers 13 Ravens 10

#6 2Turnin2Burnin

2Turnin2Burnin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

Ben will be beat up far worse than what he did to innocents in the restrooms, Suggs rapes Ben.... Ravens by 10.

#7 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,461 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

I say the Ravens win. But only because the Steelers, at this point in time, appear to be worse than the Ravens. And I think the Ravens will be (or at least should be) highly motivated.

I don't know that the Steelers are that much worse than the Ravens.  Statistically, the Steelers are better than the Ravens in a lot of categories.  When I look at the teams I see the Steelers as a team with a terrible offensive line, but the Ravens O-line is no better.  I see two QB's capable of making big plays, but both have been very inconsistent this year.  The Steelers have struggled to run the ball, but the Ravens are dead last in the league in rushing.  The Steelers have a slight edge in receivers.  On defense the Ravens pressure is clearly better than the Steelers, but in the secondary they are both about as equally bad.  I think the Ravens special teams are better on whole than the Steelers, but the Raven's punting game has been somewhat miserable so far.  Both offensive coordinators are liabilities.  As for motivation, this game is effectively the Steeler's season.  With Cincy playing in Detroit, they could very well lose.  Cleveland will likely lose in Green Bay.  If the Steelers beat the Ravens, they are right there in the division despite a disasterous 0-4 start.  A loss pretty much buries them.  I picked the Ravens in the office pool only because during the Harbuagh era they rarely follow up a loss with a bad game, but I don't have a lot of confidence in that pick.  Pittsburgh is at home, and if they have any hope of salvaging their season they need to win.  A loss pretty much leaves them playing for next year as the North is probably only going to be represented by the division winner this year. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#8 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

@cpr

IIRC, the Steelers went out and got one of the worst LTs in the league. They then had to put him on IR. The Ravens went out and got Monroe. And the Steelers lost Pouncey at the start of the year, so their O-line might possibly be worse than the Ravens. So that right there equates to advantage Ravens IMO. Also, I think the Ravens secondary is better, and the front 7 of the D is better, owing in part to the acquisitions made in the offseason, the year Suggs is having, and the injuries to the Steelers. Also, the Steelers lost a lot of speed with Wallace going to the 'Fins, and the Ravens are getting players back who can definitely burn the Steelers secondary.

When it's all said and done, I imagine it's going to be a typical ugly, anyone can win it type of proposition. I just think the Steelers are in really bad shape this year. But it could definitely go either way. The Ravens might be able to turn this around if/when Harbaugh gets on Castillo and straightens out the O-line as much as it can be straightened out with Gradkowski.

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,690 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

I want to say Ravens, because the Steelers are bad this year. But the Ravens haven't impressed me this year. Rothy is mobile enough to beat our defense. Oh and the Steelers are at home in that crazy stadium that makes the kicking game difficult

Edited by bmore_ken, 18 October 2013 - 01:20 PM.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#10 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,461 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

@cpr

IIRC, the Steelers went out and got one of the worst LTs in the league. They then had to put him on IR. The Ravens went out and got Monroe. And the Steelers lost Pouncey at the start of the year, so their O-line might possibly be worse than the Ravens. So that right there equates to advantage Ravens IMO. Also, I think the Ravens secondary is better, and the front 7 of the D is better, owing in part to the acquisitions made in the offseason, the year Suggs is having, and the injuries to the Steelers. Also, the Steelers lost a lot of speed with Wallace going to the 'Fins, and the Ravens are getting players back who can definitely burn the Steelers secondary.

When it's all said and done, I imagine it's going to be a typical ugly, anyone can win it type of proposition. I just think the Steelers are in really bad shape this year. But it could definitely go either way. The Ravens might be able to turn this around if/when Harbaugh gets on Castillo and straightens out the O-line as much as it can be straightened out with Gradkowski.

I tend to agree with you on the defensive front seven, not so much about the secondary.  I see guys wide open in the Ravens secondary every week.  They made  Buffalo's EJ Manuel look like a veteran QB.  They almost let Ryan Tannehill pass the Dolphins to a come from behind win.  If it wasn't for the pressure in the Miami game, that game might also have been a loss.  Webb has been inconsistent and the rest have just been flat out bad. The secondary lost any chance the Ravens had of beating Green Bay last week.  Pittsburgh is giving up an average of 196 yards per game while Baltimore averages 254.  The Ravens have 22 sacks to Pittsburgh's 7.  Given the lack of pressure Pittsburgh is able to generate, I think their secondary has done a better job than the Ravens.  Not that I think Pittsburgh has a secondary you can call good, just that I think the Raven's secondary is that bad.  If the pressure isn't there, somebody will be open. 

But I do agree that it will likely be another typical Ravens/Steelers game.  The Ravens have struggled on the road, and Pittsburgh has struggled to look good at all.  Personally, I think the key to the game is whether or not the Ravens can run the ball.  Pittsburgh's defense hasn't been the same tough D against the run that they have been in the past.  If the Raven's can run they can win.  If they run the ball the way they have so far this year, I think Pittsburgh will make just enough plays against the Baltimore secondary to squeak out a win. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#11 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

I tend to agree with you on the defensive front seven, not so much about the secondary.  I see guys wide open in the Ravens secondary every week.  They made  Buffalo's EJ Manuel look like a veteran QB.  They almost let Ryan Tannehill pass the Dolphins to a come from behind win.  If it wasn't for the pressure in the Miami game, that game might also have been a loss.  Webb has been inconsistent and the rest have just been flat out bad. The secondary lost any chance the Ravens had of beating Green Bay last week.  Pittsburgh is giving up an average of 196 yards per game while Baltimore averages 254.  The Ravens have 22 sacks to Pittsburgh's 7.  Given the lack of pressure Pittsburgh is able to generate, I think their secondary has done a better job than the Ravens.  Not that I think Pittsburgh has a secondary you can call good, just that I think the Raven's secondary is that bad.  If the pressure isn't there, somebody will be open. 

But I do agree that it will likely be another typical Ravens/Steelers game.  The Ravens have struggled on the road, and Pittsburgh has struggled to look good at all.  Personally, I think the key to the game is whether or not the Ravens can run the ball.  Pittsburgh's defense hasn't been the same tough D against the run that they have been in the past.  If the Raven's can run they can win.  If they run the ball the way they have so far this year, I think Pittsburgh will make just enough plays against the Baltimore secondary to squeak out a win. 

You make good points, as usual. However, I don't think Webbie has been all that inconsistent. What I think is that the usual "we're having communication problems" (the stock answer, along with "we'll have to look at the tape before we can comment any further") is once again raising its ugly head this year. And maybe, because of the personnel turnover, it's raising its ugly head more often and uglier than in the past. But I've seen things progress from game to game, and I think it will, or at least should, be evident against the Steelers. But with this team, as it was last year, things are always such a crap shoot it's impossible to really predict how they'll play. I do know that they tend to get up for Pittsburgh, and they know that team's tendencies probably better than any other team. So here's hoping for the best for the Ravens and their fans.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 19 October 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#12 JOHNBOY152

JOHNBOY152

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

Ravens by 14...Might as well take it out on the cellar dwellers!!!! :rolleyes:

#13 DkBlue

DkBlue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Depends on the pass defense.  The Steelers are rated 30th in running and the Ravens are rated 31st.   Unless there is a drastic change it will be up to the quarterbacks.

Both can put together big games.

#14 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

I said at the start of the season that by the bye week the Ravens would most likely be 3-4 or 4-3. Right on track as far as that goes.

#15 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,690 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

I want to say Ravens, because the Steelers are bad this year. But the Ravens haven't impressed me this year. Rothy is mobile enough to beat our defense. Oh and the Steelers are at home in that crazy stadium that makes the kicking game difficult

I had a feeling :(

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users