Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Beer Offensive: The Koch Brothers Try to Bribe College Students Not to Sign Up for Obamacare with Brewskies

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SteamChief

SteamChief

Just call me Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Oddly, it doesn't seem to be working.

October 17, 2013  |  

What's a family values conservative to do when every effort to protect millions of Americans from the scourge of affordable healthcare fails?

Break out the beer, of course. The latest campaign to kill off Obamacare in its infancy is now playing out on college campuses where a conservative group known as Generation Opportunity (GO), who are funded in part by the billionaire  Koch brothers, is using the  lure of free beer and "opt out"  beer koozies to persuade young  students not to buy health insurance – or, at least, not to buy it from the Obamacare exchanges.

Traditionally, one might expect God-fearing conservatives to be warning youth about the dangers of alcohol consumption, rather than plying them with free liquor, but these are desperate times. The determined Koch brothers have already spent  hundreds of millions of dollars trying to derail the president's healthcare law. So far, though, despite their best efforts, Obamacare has proved as  "invincible" as the young people it needs to enroll. While it's unlikely that the beer exchanges, shall we call them, will be the game-changer, the Kochs may well end up driving many of us to drink with their relentless and futile vendetta to undo the law – not just the college students.

http://www.alternet....etter911639&t=5

#2 SalisburySage

SalisburySage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

If you believe this story I have a bridge in  Brooklyn to sell you cheap......

Attacking Gay marriage and trying to legislate your beliefs that homosexuality is a sin in order to protect American Families is like banning money to cure poverty

"Moral disapproval of a group cannot be a legitimate state interest."

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

#3 SteamChief

SteamChief

Just call me Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_3954819.html

Anti-Obamacare Ads, Beer Coozies Pitched To College Students Get Them To 'Opt Out'

Yahoo! News' Chris Moody reports today on the opening of a "strange new front in the war over Obamacare": America's college campuses, where a new organization called "Generation Opportunity" will be making the case for dying young and leaving behind a beautiful corpse, brah.

Why college campuses? Well, when the health insurance exchanges open in October, a key target demographic will be the young and uninsured. As health care costs incurred by the young tend to be much lower than those of the elderly and the chronically ill, the young pay premiums that help to subsidize everyone in the pool of the insured. This is basically how all health insurance works, but youth involvement in the exchanges is important because they are starting from scratch. (As Jeff Young reports, 48 million Americans will be uninsured when the Obamacare exchanges open.)

Additionally, young adults are uninsured in greater proportion to other age groups. According to the census, the uninsurance rate for 19- to 25-year-olds is 27.2 percent; the national rate for all ages is 15.4 percent. Young adults also tend to make less money, so they're more likely to qualify for Medicaid or subsidies.

#4 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,467 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Yet the Koch Brothers need a tax cut. Simply amazing.
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#5 SteamChief

SteamChief

Just call me Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

I read it twice, It must be true.

I liked the shot where they have Uncle Sam acting as the the girls GYN. Them Coke brothrs are going all out on this one.

Don't you love them. They are always looking out for us middle class folk.

#6 EmDot

EmDot

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,845 posts
  • LocationIn the land of optimism

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

I love that they say the opt out push is grassroots. :lol:

To retaliate in kind would do nothing but intensify the existence of hate in the universe. Along the way of life, someone must have sense enough, and morality enough, to cut off the chain of hate. ~~ MLK

#7 bmorepunk

bmorepunk

I Can't Read Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

The title is misleading.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Koch Brothers themselves had no idea about this particular program they're funding; they certainly aren't running it.  It's a $750,000 campaign and it really seems like a bad use of money.

If you haven't seen the Creepy Uncle Sam ad you should watch it.  It's one of the funniest things I've seen this year, it's so absurd.  Burger King must be annoyed that they stole their idea.

#8 songfourone

songfourone

Member in So-So Standing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,234 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

I wonder if the Koch Brothers got to where they are by not knowing where their money or their name was being used?

I would guess that would be a huge NO.
"Morality cannot be legislated but behavior can be regulated. Judicial decrees may not change the heart, but they can restrain the heartless.” MLK

#9 bmorepunk

bmorepunk

I Can't Read Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

They got where they are from running their rich daddy's companies and leveraging that.

They crapped so much money into the last election and had little to show for it.  The $750,000 for this program is likely a footnote that someone updates them on every once and awhile.  These guys are too busy with the details of these sorts of things.  As long as they can put money here and there and it's anti-liberal/Democrat and it seems like it might get some sort of return they're doing it.

#10 songfourone

songfourone

Member in So-So Standing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,234 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

They got where they are from running their rich daddy's companies and leveraging that.

They crapped so much money into the last election and had little to show for it.  The $750,000 for this program is likely a footnote that someone updates them on every once and awhile.  These guys are too busy with the details of these sorts of things.  As long as they can put money here and there and it's anti-liberal/Democrat and it seems like it might get some sort of return they're doing it.

So you are guessing just like I am LOL. ;)
"Morality cannot be legislated but behavior can be regulated. Judicial decrees may not change the heart, but they can restrain the heartless.” MLK

#11 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

Not very believable...the original coke brother Cambridge Barry Obama's health care plan lets college kids stay on mommy and daddy's insurance until age 26.

Barry is not stranger to the beer summit either....

Edited by Brohan, 22 October 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#12 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,665 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

And on the other side, supporters of the ACA in Colorado are urging college students to sign up and not to risk tapping into their beer money to cover medical bills.  Go Brosurance!  Real classy.

http://www.motherjon...do-obamacare-ad

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#13 2Turnin2Burnin

2Turnin2Burnin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

Short memory I guess..... Bobo the Clown, would be Hitler Youth and good German beer!

http://blogs.theguar...obamaberlin.gif

#14 bmorepunk

bmorepunk

I Can't Read Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

I approve of the bizarre direction this thread is headed.

#15 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,032 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

Yet the Koch Brothers need a tax cut. Simply amazing.

Obviously we should keep forking over our money to them. ;)

"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."
~George Washington

Has Obama Taken Away Your Guns Yet?

#16 musicmd

musicmd

the CAF Red Tail Squadron preserve and share the history and leg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

Short memory I guess..... Bobo the Clown, would be Hitler Youth and good German beer!

http://blogs.theguar...obamaberlin.gif

Start a thread about it.

" An educated person is not necessarily a person with an abundance of
general or specialized knowledge.

An educated person is a person who has so developed the faculties of their mind, that they can devleop anything or acquire anything that they want, or its equivalent, without
violating the rights of others"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users