Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Amazon.com announces plan to open a fulfillment center in southeast Baltimore in 2014.

Amazon.com Baltimore City Southeast Baltimore City Amazon.com fulfillment center jobs employment

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 KSweeley

KSweeley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland, USA.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Link: http://www.baltimore...0,7562422.story

Link: http://phx.corporate...7018&highlight=

This sounds great for Baltimore City, over 1,000 full-time jobs coming into Baltimore City as a result of Amazon.com opening a 1 million square foot fulfillment center in southeast Baltimore. These benefits sounds awesome:

Amazon fulfillment center jobs pay on average 30 percent more than traditional retail jobs and that doesn’t even include the stock grants that full-time employees receive. Amazon employees receive comprehensive benefits, including healthcare starting on day one, 401(k) and company stock awards. Amazon also offers full-time employees innovative programs like Career Choice, where the company will pre-pay up to 95 percent of tuition for courses related to in-demand fields, regardless of whether the skills are relevant to a career at Amazon. Since the program’s launch last summer, employees are pursuing degrees in game design and visual communications, nursing, IT programming and radiology, to name a few.

Here's Amazon.com's official statement on coming to Baltimore:

“We are proud to be bringing more than 1,000 full-time jobs with great wages and benefits to Baltimore,” said Mike Roth, Amazon’s vice president of North America operations. “These are full-time jobs that offer company stock awards, 401(k) and programs like Career Choice where Amazon will pre-pay the cost of tuition for employees to go back to school. We are grateful to the state and local elected officials who supported Amazon coming to Maryland and we look forward to being a part of the community.”

And here's Governor O'Malley's and Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake's official statements:

"I'm thrilled that Amazon is joining our community of businesses that surround the Port of Baltimore. Companies are taking note of the investments we're making in transportation infrastructure and workforce development, and they're creating jobs here," said Governor Martin O'Malley. "We know Amazon's decision was based on a solid business plan, and we look forward to working with them as they continue to expand here in Maryland."

“I am excited that Amazon will open a fulfillment center in Baltimore City. The fulfillment center means more than 1,000 full-time jobs with benefits for the city,” said Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake. “As Mayor, I have made growing Baltimore City’s economy a major priority. The fulfillment center presents a unique industrial development opportunity due to its location to the Port of Baltimore, as well as, its access to the city and interstate highway system. I am proud of the City's efforts, working in partnership with the State, Duke Realty and Amazon to bring this fulfillment center and jobs to Baltimore City.”

According to The Baltimore Sun article, it's likely that this fulfillment center will allow Amazon.com to offer same-day delivery and grocery delivery in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan region and that most of the jobs that Amazon.com offers pay $11.50-$12.50 an hour with supervisors earning more, however the pay rate doesn't include the stock grants that full-time employees of Amazon receive.

Edited by KSweeley, 22 October 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#2 overtaxed

overtaxed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:05 AM

Interesting, I wonder if they have any tax breaks from the state?

#3 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:32 AM

Good stuff!

#4 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:58 AM

Great and makes sense as they can use Baltimore area to make same day delivery to Baltimore, Washington, Philly, Harrisburg as they expand their grocery services

#5 yeah

yeah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

great news - great job baltimore city! and the state will now get the tax money its entitled to from md consumers who shop on amazon

#6 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

Only negative part is that MD residents will now have to pay a 6% tax if ordering from Amazon..At least that's what I heard onm the radio this morning.

Awesomeness - An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce

#7 Seadog

Seadog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

Great location.  Close to I95, the port and BWI.

"If anyone, concerned really for truth, undertake the confutation of my hypothesis, I promise him either to recant my mistake, upon fair conviction; or to answer his difficulties. But he must remember two things: First, that cavilling here and there, at some expression, or little incident of my discourse, is not an answer to my book. Secondly, that I shall not take railing for arguments, nor think either of these worth my notice". John Locke, (First Treatise, Preface).

#8 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,754 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Great news. More reason for me to shop on Amazon.com

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,723 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

It's not like I needed another reason, but this would have been one if I needed one

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#10 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Good news for Baltimore and Maryland.

#11 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

I'm still going to buy from the reputable seller with the lowest total cost.  The 6% sales tax, or lack thereof will now have to be factored in.

"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#12 tsmonk

tsmonk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

Only negative part is that MD residents will now have to pay a 6% tax if ordering from Amazon..At least that's what I heard onm the radio this morning.

Yeah, I agree that it will really suck that I will now have to pay the 6% sales tax.

#13 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

No big plus for many Amazon shoppers.

Anyone who has Prime already gets fast shipping.

The 6% increase makes them less competitive now.  Overstock, NewEgg, etc will benefit.

#14 octoburn

octoburn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

I dropped Amazon Prime because they constantly failed to deliver within two business days. Their third party local delivery services were really bad.

And I always paid my sales taxes on Amazon purchases at the end of the year. Amazon is now raising their shipping prices to push more people into Amazon Prime.

This is a very good thing for jobs in the area where they are really needed and where there is a largely unskilled labor pool. But it will not make Amazon itself better or worse.

Unlike places like Home Depot and other places that cutting down on hours ~ these Amazon jobs will supposedly be full time and come with health and other benefits.

#15 Up2DaRack

Up2DaRack

Largo al Factotum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,581 posts
  • LocationRight here! Sheesh!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

What do you mean we now have an extra 6% sales tax to be factored in?  Are you all saying you don't voluntarily file the 6% use tax when ordering from internet sources outside the state?  

Ahem...   :P    ;)

• There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, therefore it is good"; the other says, "This is new, therefore it is better." (W.R. Inge)
  • Talent is God-given - be humble. Fame is man-given - be thankful. Conceit is self-given - be careful. (John Wooden)

#16 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

No big plus for many Amazon shoppers.

Anyone who has Prime already gets fast shipping.

The 6% increase makes them less competitive now.  Overstock, NewEgg, etc will benefit.

I've noticed more and more vendors competing more closely with Amazon pricing lately.  I checked B&H Phot for several items a few days ago and they were cheaper than Amazon on all of them.  They are in NYC and if I order early enough in the day, I have it next day, free shipping and no tax.  Newegg ships faster than Amazon's standard shipping as well.

Edited by LarryN, 24 October 2013 - 08:37 AM.

"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,723 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

What do you mean we now have an extra 6% sales tax to be factored in?  Are you all saying you don't voluntarily file the 6% use tax when ordering from internet sources outside the state?  

Ok that was funny

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#18 banner1124

banner1124

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,423 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

I dropped Amazon Prime because they constantly failed to deliver within two business days. Their third party local delivery services were really bad.

And I always paid my sales taxes on Amazon purchases at the end of the year. Amazon is now raising their shipping prices to push more people into Amazon Prime.

This is a very good thing for jobs in the area where they are really needed and where there is a largely unskilled labor pool. But it will not make Amazon itself better or worse.

Unlike places like Home Depot and other places that cutting down on hours ~ these Amazon jobs will supposedly be full time and come with health and other benefits.

I'm actually surprised to hear that.  One of the reasons I've been a Prime member for so long is because I've not once over the last several years had them fail to deliver within two business days.

*****HAIL TO THE REDSKINS*****

#19 slapshot

slapshot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,377 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

Interesting, I wonder if they have any tax breaks from the state?

I read this from the linked article:

"A new warehouse will also mean that Maryland residents will start paying sales tax on Amazon purchases."

Soooo, good for the folks that will be working there, bad for Maryland folks who buy from Amazon (as I do).

...just noticed this was mentioned above (sorry).

Edited by slapshot, 24 October 2013 - 10:03 AM.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take.
I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been.

- Wayne Gretzky

#20 Jeebus

Jeebus

Molon Labe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,514 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

Ok that was funny

Not really, as apparently neither of you understand tax laws, and the fact that out-of-state (or even in-state) purchases of tangible goods for re-sale are not subject to MD sales tax.

Try again, lol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Amazon.com, Baltimore City, Southeast Baltimore City, Amazon.com fulfillment center, jobs, employment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users