Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

Amazon.com announces plan to open a fulfillment center in southeast Baltimore in 2014.

48 posts in this topic

Not really, as apparently neither of you understand tax laws, and the fact that out-of-state (or even in-state) purchases of tangible goods for re-sale are not subject to MD sales tax.

Try again, lol.

Who said anything about resale?

Maryland residents are supposed to pay the Maryland tax rate on out-of-state purchases, or the difference if the tax rate is less than 6% (9% for alcoholic beverages).

http://forms.marylandtaxes.com/13_forms/ST-118A.pdf

We’re all familiar with Maryland’s sales tax, but far fewer people know about the use tax and when they must pay it. In fact, every state with a sales tax also has a use tax. The use tax is imposed on items you paid less than 6% sales tax or 9% tax on alcoholic beverages when you purchased them and did not pay the sales tax at time of purchase. You are required to pay the difference between the actual tax charged and the applicable Maryland tax rate as use tax.

You can use the form below to report and pay the tax. The tax is due quarterly, and the due dates are shown to the right. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, then the return with payment is due on the next business day.

Edited by Baltimatt

Who said anything about resale?

Maryland residents are supposed to pay the Maryland tax rate on out-of-state purchases, or the difference if the tax rate is less than 6% (9% for alcoholic beverages).

http://forms.marylandtaxes.com/13_forms/ST-118A.pdf

Perhaps you need to consult an accountant or tax lawyer before you make more stupid posts that display your ignorance fo sales & use taxes in MD.

Read it again - purchases made, from out of state or from in state, for goods that will be be resold, ARE TAX EXEMPT.

http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Business_Taxes/Business_Tax_Types/Sales_and_Use_Tax/Tax_Information/Special_Situations/Purchases_for_Resale/

Edited by Jeebus

Perhaps you need to consult an accountant or tax lawyer before you make more stupid posts that display your ignorance fo sales & use taxes in MD.

Read it again - purchases made, from out of state or from in state, for goods that will be be resold, ARE TAX EXEMPT.

http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Business_Taxes/Business_Tax_Types/Sales_and_Use_Tax/Tax_Information/Special_Situations/Purchases_for_Resale/

Resale.

Resale.

Correct, resale.  The things I buy from Amazon and have shipped to me (via Prime) are for resale, so it really isn't a big deal for me either way,a s I won;t pay sales tax for stuff I get outside of MD or stuff shipped from the new warehouse.

This is not a hard concept for those who own businesses that resell good to understand.

For the rest of you, it seems to be far above your educational levels.

Edited by Jeebus

Correct, resale.  The things I buy from Amazon and have shipped to me (via Prime) are for resale, so it really isn't a big deal for me either way,a s I won;t pay sales tax for stuff I get outside of MD or stuff shipped from the new warehouse.

This is not a hard concept for those who own businesses that resell good to understand.

Yes, but the issue of sale tax came up.  I certainly wasn't thinking of it in terms of reselling, and I image most people weren't, either.  So stop being so high and mighty.  Maybe when you first brought it up you should have clarified that in your case, you buy stuff for resale.

Not really, as apparently neither of you understand tax laws, and the fact that out-of-state (or even in-state) purchases of tangible goods for re-sale are not subject to MD sales tax.

Try again, lol.

Yes, because we know that the vast majority of purchases of tangible goods from sites like Amazon are intended for resale.   :rolleyes:

Is this all you have?  C'mon, I expect better from you Jeebs.

Edited by Up2DaRack

If you're such a shrewd businessman, I would have thought you might be capable of understanding the subtle jab at individuals instead of jumping to conclusions that it was directed at business owners who are in the active business of buying wholesale.  Duh...  

You must be making huge amounts of money buying stuff at retail prices and resaling it?  LOL  People who buy stuff for resale buy from wholesalers not Amazon where anyone and everyone can buy the prduct anyway meaning you have no profit margins.   

You must be making huge amounts of money buying stuff at retail prices and resaling it?  LOL  People who buy stuff for resale buy from wholesalers not Amazon where anyone and everyone can buy the prduct anyway meaning you have no profit margins.   

You'd be surprised how much certain things can be marked up for an ignorant customer base.  Location is everything, as is availability. If I got it, and you need it, and I'm close, you'll pay 40% more.  Nothing new about that.

You'd be surprised how much certain things can be marked up for an ignorant customer base. Location is everything, as is availability. If I got it, and you need it, and I'm close, you'll pay 40% more. Nothing new about that.

food stamps

I used to volunteer with some other sports boosters who sold food & drinks at our kids' sporting events - with the profits going to the teams. We bought at retail but in bulk from warehouse clubs with a state sales tax exemption certificate. Even buying at retail, the margin on even the better quality hot dogs and burgers, pretzels, etc was very high. For many items, Amazon can be cheaper than the warehouse clubs.

Try again, lol.

But, what about out of state consumer purchases NOT for re-sale? Aren't MD residents technically required to report them and pay the use tax on them?

As for the topic, I'm happy for the folks that get jobs,, but for me, it means I'll be doing most of my shopping on E-bay once the 6% tax for Amazon purchases begins to be applied. I did prefer Amazon, but it means an across the board 6% increase in all their prices. 

Edited by Saticon3

They gave a promotional credit each time ~ but that was because their tracking showed that the items arrived but their third party delivery services they use were late.

Their video selections on Prime are also very limited IMO as to free viewings. With their plans to increase shipping to entice more people to buy their Prime service ~ it still isn't worth it when other companies are starting to offer free shipping for orders over $25.00 unless one buys enough from them to recapture the cost of Prime.

But that doesn't mean that this is not a great thing for this area. It is.

Although I will still remain a prime member I've recently started seeing red over their video service.  I'd already bought a handful of HD movies when I realized I was being screwed and stopped buying them.  I was just short of enraged to find out that the 1080p movies I purchased could only be downloaded to my PC in 480p quality!

Edited by banner1124

Although I will still remain a prime member I've recently started seeing red over their video service.  I'd already bought a handful of HD movies when I realized I was being screwed and stopped buying them.  I was just short of enraged to find out that the 1080p movies I purchased could only be downloaded to my PC in 480p quality!

For real?

For real?

Yup.  First you have to download and install their proprietary Amazon Unbox player, and then you can download the movie you purchased, well except for the fact that 480p is the highest res that you can download.  Are they freaking crazy?  I paid for a 1080p movie and I want to watch a 1080p movie.  So the only time I can watch these movies in the quality that I purchased is when I stream them using either my game console.  That's great when I'm home because I have very fast internet.  But I travel for work every week and the internet connections I'm subjected to aren't capable of streaming SD quality movies let alone the highest quality HD.  It's quite frustrating.

I know, 1st world problems right? LOL :D

I've seen people setting up their own "storefronts" on Amazon and doing this. I've seen guys buy stuff either locally or from other websites, then turn around and sell the same products on Amazon for profit. It works especially well if it's something that Amazon doesn't carry. Many consumers really are naive and don't realize they're being ripped off.

Earlier this year, I ran across one idiot who was buying stuff from Walmart and reselling it on Amazon. He event went so far as to admit what he was doing. Not long afterward, his storefront was shut down because some people weren't receiving the orders they paid for.

Edited by yuca