Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Amazon.com announces plan to open a fulfillment center in southeast Baltimore in 2014.

Amazon.com Baltimore City Southeast Baltimore City Amazon.com fulfillment center jobs employment

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 bmorepunk

bmorepunk

I Can't Read Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,441 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

Amazon Warehouse -> Food Stamps

Ultimate Thread Derail!

Edited by bmorepunk, 26 October 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#42 OldBay

OldBay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

You must be making huge amounts of money buying stuff at retail prices and resaling it?  LOL  People who buy stuff for resale buy from wholesalers not Amazon where anyone and everyone can buy the prduct anyway meaning you have no profit margins.   

I used to volunteer with some other sports boosters who sold food & drinks at our kids' sporting events - with the profits going to the teams. We bought at retail but in bulk from warehouse clubs with a state sales tax exemption certificate. Even buying at retail, the margin on even the better quality hot dogs and burgers, pretzels, etc was very high. For many items, Amazon can be cheaper than the warehouse clubs.

#43 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

Not really, as apparently neither of you understand tax laws, and the fact that out-of-state (or even in-state) purchases of tangible goods for re-sale are not subject to MD sales tax.

Try again, lol.

But, what about out of state consumer purchases NOT for re-sale? Aren't MD residents technically required to report them and pay the use tax on them?

As for the topic, I'm happy for the folks that get jobs,, but for me, it means I'll be doing most of my shopping on E-bay once the 6% tax for Amazon purchases begins to be applied. I did prefer Amazon, but it means an across the board 6% increase in all their prices. 

Edited by Saticon3, 26 October 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#44 banner1124

banner1124

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,657 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

They gave a promotional credit each time ~ but that was because their tracking showed that the items arrived but their third party delivery services they use were late.

Their video selections on Prime are also very limited IMO as to free viewings. With their plans to increase shipping to entice more people to buy their Prime service ~ it still isn't worth it when other companies are starting to offer free shipping for orders over $25.00 unless one buys enough from them to recapture the cost of Prime.

But that doesn't mean that this is not a great thing for this area. It is.

Although I will still remain a prime member I've recently started seeing red over their video service.  I'd already bought a handful of HD movies when I realized I was being screwed and stopped buying them.  I was just short of enraged to find out that the 1080p movies I purchased could only be downloaded to my PC in 480p quality!

Edited by banner1124, 29 October 2013 - 03:49 PM.

*****HAIL TO THE REDSKINS*****

#45 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,944 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

Although I will still remain a prime member I've recently started seeing red over their video service.  I'd already bought a handful of HD movies when I realized I was being screwed and stopped buying them.  I was just short of enraged to find out that the 1080p movies I purchased could only be downloaded to my PC in 480p quality!

For real?

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#46 banner1124

banner1124

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,657 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

For real?

Yup.  First you have to download and install their proprietary Amazon Unbox player, and then you can download the movie you purchased, well except for the fact that 480p is the highest res that you can download.  Are they freaking crazy?  I paid for a 1080p movie and I want to watch a 1080p movie.  So the only time I can watch these movies in the quality that I purchased is when I stream them using either my game console.  That's great when I'm home because I have very fast internet.  But I travel for work every week and the internet connections I'm subjected to aren't capable of streaming SD quality movies let alone the highest quality HD.  It's quite frustrating.

I know, 1st world problems right? LOL :D

*****HAIL TO THE REDSKINS*****

#47 yuca

yuca

Member?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,541 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

You must be making huge amounts of money buying stuff at retail prices and resaling it?  LOL  People who buy stuff for resale buy from wholesalers not Amazon where anyone and everyone can buy the prduct anyway meaning you have no profit margins.   

I've seen people setting up their own "storefronts" on Amazon and doing this. I've seen guys buy stuff either locally or from other websites, then turn around and sell the same products on Amazon for profit. It works especially well if it's something that Amazon doesn't carry. Many consumers really are naive and don't realize they're being ripped off.

Earlier this year, I ran across one idiot who was buying stuff from Walmart and reselling it on Amazon. He event went so far as to admit what he was doing. Not long afterward, his storefront was shut down because some people weren't receiving the orders they paid for.

Edited by yuca, 30 October 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#48 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,044 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

They received some very nice government incentives. :)

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Amazon.com, Baltimore City, Southeast Baltimore City, Amazon.com fulfillment center, jobs, employment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users