14 replies to this topic

#1 outerbanks

outerbanks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

http://tracking.si.c...t2_a8&eref=sihp

Angelos is out of excuses saying we are a small market club!! He needs to start spending the money to lock-up Manny, Davis and Wieters. In addition sign top flight free agents. Look how much a Zach Greinke or Koji Uehara would have helped this year!

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,476 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

http://tracking.si.c...t2_a8&eref=sihp

Angelos is out of excuses saying we are a small market club!! He needs to start spending the money to lock-up Manny, Davis and Wieters. In addition sign top flight free agents. Look how much a Zach Greinke or Koji Uehara would have helped this year!

Good luck with that

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,145 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Good luck with that

I can't think of a better response  :D

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

7th most valuable franchise?  Seems like a good reason to raise ticket and concession prices.

#5 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,611 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

angelo$er is winning where it matters most to him...the bottom line....

he's not going to spend anymore than he deems absolutely necessary to field a team.....

:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#6 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

The irony is that players are considered a part of the "assets", so spending on players actually drives up the value of a team.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,145 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

The irony is that players are considered a part of the "assets", so spending on players actually drives up the value of a team.

I didn't know that. that's really interesting.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 can you hear me now!

can you hear me now!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,611 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

I don't think so....no business considers employees as tangible assets...they are overhead and for accounting purposes these are considered expenses...http://blog.accounti...loyee-as-asset/
:eek: CYHMN Enterprises-- Manufacturing gloom and doom since 1998. :eek:

chaos, panic, disorder-- my work is done here...;)

#9 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

According to the Bloomberg article that is the source of this:

http://www.bloomberg...-1-billion.html

In calculating team value, Bloomberg News examined revenue from ticket sales, concessions, sponsorships and broadcast rights, as well as interests in TV channels, radio stations and real estate.

So players are not part of it.

And this nice chart breaks down those components for each team (click the different team iconsin the middle of the circle to change the numbers).

http://www.bloomberg...eam-values.html

Edited by Jimmy Jazz, 27 October 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#10 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

According to the Bloomberg article that is the source of this:
http://www.bloomberg...-1-billion.html

So players are not part of it.

And this nice chart breaks down those components for each team (click the different team iconsin the middle of the circle to change the numbers).
http://www.bloomberg...eam-values.html

Players calculate into sponsorships.
Teams also hold rights to jerseys with the individual's name on the back.
They also use the player's name free of extra charge.

It does surprise me that the value of a player's contract doesn't go into it, though, since it can be insured.

Edited by Far from home, 27 October 2013 - 11:30 PM.

Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.

#11 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

It does surprise me that the value of a player's contract doesn't go into it, though, since it can be insured.

I don't have much of head for business but I don't understand why the money the Orioles owe Adam Jones would count as an asset for the Orioles.  I could see attempting to assign some value to the length of time they have rights to Jones's name but not the money they pay him.

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,145 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

I don't have much of head for business but I don't understand why the money the Orioles owe Adam Jones would count as an asset for the Orioles.  I could see attempting to assign some value to the length of time they have rights to Jones's name but not the money they pay him.

I see the logic of FFH's comments. franchise value is tied to the ball club's success on the field. and that success is directly related to the talent of the players. in previous eras, the players were considered property. it's not the same now that free agency exists.  

#13 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,307 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Yeah but the talent of the players is not always directly related to the size of their salary. I just don't see how anyone can look at the money the Tigers owe Prince Fielder (24 million a year for the next 7 years) and consider that an asset to the Tigers. It's a massive liability.

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,145 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

Yeah but the talent of the players is not always directly related to the size of their salary. I just don't see how anyone can look at the money the Tigers owe Prince Fielder (24 million a year for the next 7 years) and consider that an asset to the Tigers. It's a massive liability.

I agree. I was just showing how someone could see the players as assets.

#15 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,224 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

Yes, it's a liability that is offset (normally) by an insurance policy.

I have read, in the past, that the players were a part of the valuation. I don't know where the link is now. I was wrong.

Something I will say to this...the value of the O's has leaped. A couple of years ago, it was down at 17. Before that it had even been lower.
Outside of increased merchandise and ticket sales, I'm not sure how the team jumped so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users