vague trade scenario

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,031 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

watching Kozma stink it up this post season, and last post season, I was reminded that the cardinals wanted to upgrade at SS for the 2013 season. with shortstops being at a premium, they didn't have any options. so they stuck it out with Kozma and Descalso. how about Hardy for one of their MLB ready pitchers? they're pitching rich right now, and JJ is affordable for 2015. He's also likely to sign an extension since he'd be playing for a perennial contender in StL.

Lynn and Kelly aren't worthy of Hardy. But Shelby Miller is too much to ask for in a straight up 1 for 1 trade. Perhaps the O's could offer a package. Normally it would be ridiculous to suggest trading away someone with all the ipside of Shelby Miller. But StL isn't even using him in the WS, so it's clear they have an abundance of good arms. they would be leading this series 3-1 if not for Kozma's atrocious D. and he hurt them last year against Giants. put Hardy in their 2012 line up, and they may beat SF and Detroit for back to back trophies. If they want pitching in return, I would hesitate to include Gausman.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,937 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

In the sense of wheeling and dealing, this is a good idea. In the sense of team chemistry, I'm not really sure. Hardy is probably the leader of the team, even though they've publicly said it is AJ...and he's the most dependable SS in baseball. In terms of value to the team, I wouldn't offer him for less than one ML ready pitcher and a second prospect. I have no doubt the Cards would balk at that.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#3 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

If the O's plan is still to move Macahdo to SS, this scenario makes some sense to me.  But who would play 3B?  Could the O's adjust to losing Hardy's 20+ HRs? 

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,031 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

If the O's plan is still to move Macahdo to SS, this scenario makes some sense to me.  But who would play 3B?  Could the O's adjust to losing Hardy's 20+ HRs? 

Manny was interviewed during the AS game practice. he was asked if he wants to play SS, and he said yes. he most definitely wants to move over. I would be surprised if the O's don't move him to SS after 2014, when Hardy's contract expires. possible in house replacements at 3B would be Schoop. he's played 3B throughout his time with the O's. he projects better at 2B though. another option is Flaherty. his D is tight, but you lose offense with him. Hardy would be missed, no doubt about it. but if the trade off is a top of the rotation pitcher for lesser defense on the left side of the IF, that's a trade off I'd be willing to make.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Manny was interviewed during the AS game practice. he was asked if he wants to play SS, and he said yes. he most definitely wants to move over. I would be surprised if the O's don't move him to SS after 2014, when Hardy's contract expires. possible in house replacements at 3B would be Schoop. he's played 3B throughout his time with the O's. he projects better at 2B though. another option is Flaherty. his D is tight, but you lose offense with him. Hardy would be missed, no doubt about it. but if the trade off is a top of the rotation pitcher for lesser defense on the left side of the IF, that's a trade off I'd be willing to make.  

I somehow forgot about Schoop being able to play multiple positions.  I was figuring on Flaherty filling in at 3B until Manny is ready and had no problem with that; his defense is real good, and his bat still has some potential.   

If we could get a true #1 pitcher, I'd have to agree with your trade idea, but I really, really like JJ; he has given the team stellar defense (it's a shocker when he makes an error) and a big bat. Just make sure that true #1 is more of a ground ball pitcher than a flyout guy; that doesn't work well in our park. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users