• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

Forget how bad the center is. Forget the OL and the blocking scheme. There are many other reasons, coaches decisions etc. 

The real reason the Ravens have lost is the kicking game. A K/O that was a dud as an on side kick was bad enough but look no farther than the punting game. Yesterday we saw another terrible punt at the end of the game. I think this makes 2 in every game this year. This one was devastating though. The Ravens are down and only need a FG to tie this game. The offense is stoipped near the 50 and a great punter would put the ball inside the 10 and possibly down inside the 5. The Ravens would than get great field position as for sure the Browns would run the ball 3 times. Now after this lousy punt the Browns get the ball past their 30 yard line and do what they want. Game over.... it is the end of games that great teams win. This year the Ravens are not great and rest assured their punter is the cause of at least 2 loses.

#2 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

WHERE IS DURANGO?!!!

I was going to start a thread dedicated to Koch, both to focus on a real problem AND to vindicate Durango who, IIRC, was one of the ONLY posters here who consistently called out Koch last year while everyone else blasted him for doing so. (I was one of the few exceptions; I saw that Koch was misfiring a lot while others kept insisting that he was fine. Even in the playoffs, Koch failed to nail teams inside the 20.)

#3 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

Koch was average last year (which is a clear downgrade from past years), and not good at all this year. But, there are a lot more reasons this team is struggling then the kicking game.

#4 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

Koch was average last year (which is a clear downgrade from past years), and not good at all this year. But, there are a lot more reasons this team is struggling then the kicking game.

I'd say Koch was inconsistent last year, but the handwriting was on the wall. I do agree that of ALL the problems the Ravens are facing, Koch is a bit down from the top of the list.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 04 November 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#5 bawlmer_fan

bawlmer_fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Oh, its the kicking game. Too funny. Whats this offense gonna do with great field position?

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,791 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Oh, its the kicking game. Too funny. Whats this offense gonna do with great field position?

Where do people like you come from? :rolleyes:

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

Where do people like you come from? :rolleyes:

Pot? Kettle? :rolleyes:

#8 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

The real reasons for the losing streak are quite numerous, but what they all have in common is an apparent inability to solve the problems. I am so disappointed with Sunday's game not just because they lost and played badly, but because I really believed (call me naive) that changes would be made during the bye break. But no. OL still sucks. QB still erratic (though he had precious little time). Running game nonexistent (Rice and Pierce may be off their games, but how many times did the runner get nailed in the backfield when he had just gotten the ball?). Predictable play calling. Special teams blunders. Defense unable to make a stop late in the game. It's all the same garbage floating to the surface, and no one (read head coach) has either the ability or the stones to make the changes to clean it up.

It is certainly possible the Ravens are suffering a Super Bowl hangover and just don't have the intensity needed. It is likely they just do not have the talent to win. But it is the coach's job to put the players in situations in which they can succeed, and if they're not to make changes to find a way. Harbaugh said they were going to, and they did not. I find that discouraging. I don't expect him to get canned during this season, but I bet he'd better show some willingness to fish or cut bait or he may not be back next year.

Edited by Steveg85321, 04 November 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#9 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

The real reasons for the losing streak are quite numerous, but what they all have in common is an apparent inability to solve the problems. I am so disappointed with Sunday's game not just because they lost and played badly, but because I really believed (call me naive) that changes would be made during the bye break. But no. OL still sucks. QB still erratic (though he had precious little time). Running game nonexistent (Rice and Pierce may be off their games, but how many times did the runner get nailed in the backfield when he had just gotten the ball?). Predictable play calling. Special teams blunders. Defense unable to make a stop late in the game. It's all the same garbage floating to the surface, and no one (read head coach) has either the ability or the stones to make the changes to clean it up.

It is certainly possible the Ravens are suffering a Super Bowl hangover and just don't have the intensity needed. It is likely they just do not have the talent to win. But it is the coach's job to put the players in situations in which they can succeed, and if they're not to make changes to find a way. Harbaugh said they were going to, and they did not. I find that discouraging. I don't expect him to get canned during this season, but I bet he'd better show some willingness to fish or cut bait or he may not be back next year.

I was thinking earlier about what is a head coach's real role.

1. teacher (obvious, I would think)

2. motivator (shouldn't HAVE to be with grown adults, but that seems to be a prerequisite for a head coach)

3. organizer (plans meetings, etc.)

4. problem solver (BINGO!)

#4 really jumped out at me when I broke it down that way. There are constant problems that crop up, and a head coach (as opposed to a position coach/coordinator) is more involved in the management aspects of the team than the day to day x's and o's. And it's in that role that I feel that John Harbaugh consistently comes up empty, or less than full. He constantly says the same thing: "We need to fix x,y,z". The PROBLEM is...x,y,z never seem to get fixed, especially when it comes to his underperforming coordinators. So the fact that he's not a really good problem solver means, by default, he's just not a really good head coach.

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,791 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

Pot? Kettle? :rolleyes:

You think The ravens biggest problem is the kicking game?

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

Obviously, you have to be able to execute the play that is being called but overall, when you watch this team, it's almost comical how uncreative it is.  I suppose you could make the argument that the coaching staff doesn't believe they have the talent in making the game plan too complex but at this point, what there to lose?  What they've been doing week in and week out is a clusterf#@! beyond comprehension.  You would think the embarrassment alone would force Hardhead/Caldwell to making sweeping changes to the offense.  Unfortunately, they apparently have a limitless amount of mental endurance since nothing ever changes.  You would think the coaching staff has some kind of perverse fascination in watching the futility.  Maybe behind the scenes, they've accepted they aren't going anywhere this year.  Who knows.  One thing is for sure- the movie their showing at the cinema is rated R for horror.

#12 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

You think The ravens biggest problem is the kicking game?

No. I think, as I've always thought about you, that you have some serious reading/comprehension deficits:

"I'd say Koch was inconsistent last year, but the handwriting was on the wall. I do agree that of ALL the problems the Ravens are facing, Koch is a bit down from the top of the list."

#13 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Obviously, you have to be able to execute the play that is being called but overall, when you watch this team, it's almost comical how uncreative it is.  I suppose you could make the argument that the coaching staff doesn't believe they have the talent in making the game plan too complex but at this point, what there to lose?  What they've been doing week in and week out is a clusterf#@! beyond comprehension.  You would think the embarrassment alone would force Hardhead/Caldwell to making sweeping changes to the offense.  Unfortunately, they apparently have a limitless amount of mental endurance since nothing ever changes.  You would think the coaching staff has some kind of perverse fascination in watching the futility.  Maybe behind the scenes, they've accepted they aren't going anywhere this year.  Who knows.  One thing is for sure- the movie their showing at the cinema is rated R for horror.

But if they aleady conceded the season in their minds, you'd think they'd let all the dogs out and not even think twice. I think with this "brain trust" however, they can barely even think once.

#14 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

On a funnier note, I was just listening to Jerry Coleman's synopsis of Harbaugh's press conference today and apparently, he doesn't think the offensive line was that bad yesterday. Neither was the play calling.  Enough said.

Edited by jamesdean, 04 November 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#15 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

On a funnier note, I was just listening to Jerry Coleman's synopsis of Harbaugh's press conference today and apparently, he doesn't think the offensive line was that bad yesterday. Neither was the play calling.  Enough said.

Mighty men, indeed.

;)

#16 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

No Boldin. Rice is a shell of 2012. TE's with no hands.

#17 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:05 AM

I was thinking earlier about what is a head coach's real role.

1. teacher (obvious, I would think)

2. motivator (shouldn't HAVE to be with grown adults, but that seems to be a prerequisite for a head coach)

3. organizer (plans meetings, etc.)

4. problem solver (BINGO!)

#4 really jumped out at me when I broke it down that way. There are constant problems that crop up, and a head coach (as opposed to a position coach/coordinator) is more involved in the management aspects of the team than the day to day x's and o's. And it's in that role that I feel that John Harbaugh consistently comes up empty, or less than full. He constantly says the same thing: "We need to fix x,y,z". The PROBLEM is...x,y,z never seem to get fixed, especially when it comes to his underperforming coordinators. So the fact that he's not a really good problem solver means, by default, he's just not a really good head coach.

bingo!

#18 HallofFameRay

HallofFameRay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

Laughing right along with you bawler.

#19 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

The real reason is that they are resting. Yes, resting. Resting. They have no incentive to win anymore. They are resting. Resting on their laurels! When you are satisfied, nothing else matters.

I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#20 ziptop

ziptop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

True but... Yea his kicking has fallen of the planet and he's quietly gotten away with it for some time but....

Have you ever once seen the Ravens pin their opponent on their own goal line and that team not marched right out of there?  It seems like they do it every time and make it look easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users