Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarryN

Braves to abandon a 17 year old stadium

33 posts in this topic

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9959440/atlanta-braves-leaving-turner-field-relocating-cobb-county-2017

Despite its relatively young age, Plant said Turner Field needs $150 million in routine improvements and that it would cost $200 million to truly enhance the fan experience.

The Braves were frustrated in their efforts to acquire another 5,000 parking places and also complained about the lack of direct access to the MARTA rapid-transit system. The closest station is about a mile away, and most fans who used MARTA took a connecting bus service.

The Braves brushed over the fact that MARTA doesn't even serve Cobb County, which has long rejected efforts to bring rapid transit to the suburbs and chose to develop its own limited, bus-only system.

The new stadium will be located at the interchange for two of Atlanta's busiest interstates, I-75 and I-285, and the area has been plagued by major traffic problems for years -- despite northbound I-75 being expanded as wide as seven lanes near the proposed site.

So, they're leaving a stadium that $200m in rehab for one that will cost $672m to build.  They are leaving because the closest metro stop is a mile away, for a stadium where the closest metro stop is......oh, wait, there is no metro stop.  They are leaving because people had to ride busses from the metro stop, and are moving to a location where they will use a circulator bus to move fans around.

And it's younger than Oriole Park!  Wow.

Plus I'm not sure what kind of transit connections there will be.  Crazy.

The vast majority of fans who currently purchase Braves tickets come from the northern suburbs.

This will make it easier, not harder, for them to get to Braves games.  So relax.

I thought Turner Field wasn't that old. Are they crazy? If the taxpayers have to pay for any of it, heads will roll. Cities are broke. They don't have an old decrepit falling down stadium. It's still in very good condition. I just can't see this happening.

If I were the local populace, I would make them pay back the money they incurred in tax payer dollars to build the stadium.

Turner Field was originally built for the Olympics, and was designed to be easily modified into a baseball stadium afterward. I'm not sure if the taxpayers of Atlanta &/or GA. had to pay for it, but if they did, they got more than their money's worth when the world convened there for 2 weeks in the mid-90's 

Edited by weird-O

Turner Field was originally built for the Olympics, and was designed to be easily modified into a baseball stadium afterward. I'm not sure if the taxpayers of Atlanta &/or GA. had to pay for it, but if they did, they got more than their money's worth when the world convened there for 2 weeks in the mid-90's 

I didn't realize how quickly they converted it.  The Summer Olympics were there in 1996, and the Braves moved in at the beginning of the baseball season in 1997.

I didn't realize how quickly they converted it.  The Summer Olympics were there in 1996, and the Braves moved in at the beginning of the baseball season in 1997.

I think they ran one of those 24 hr/day cameras to film the conversion. I went there once. it was a nice place. and I don't recall having any issues getting there and back using public transportation. I'm not really sure what they need that they don't have or can't add. it seems like there is a hidden agenda here. somewhere there's a decision maker(s) getting a payday out of this new stadium.     

I believe that access and parking play roles in the difficulty of getting people to the stadium and why people come less or not at all, said Derek Schiller, the Braves’ executive vice president for sales and marketing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/12/sports/baseball/braves-plan-to-leave-atlanta-for-nearby-suburbs.html?hpw&rref=sports&_r=0

yep, it's the parking that keeps braves fans from showing up for the playoffs.  :rolleyes:

I think they ran one of those 24 hr/day cameras to film the conversion. I went there once. it was a nice place. and I don't recall having any issues getting there and back using public transportation. I'm not really sure what they need that they don't have or can't add. it seems like there is a hidden agenda here. somewhere there's a decision maker(s) getting a payday out of this new stadium.     

I wonder what options there will be for transit access at the new place.  Transit agencies are no longer allowed to run special sports services that are not part of their regular transit network.

I wonder what options there will be for transit access at the new place.  Transit agencies are no longer allowed to run special sports services that are not part of their regular transit network.

it sounds like the justification for this move is based on accessibility through the interstate system. in other words, people can drive their cars to the ballpark and park in the lot. it doesn't seem like they plan to have any public transit service. that leads back to Larry's original comments about how illogical this all seems.

maybe it's a regional/cultural thing. when raven's stadium was built, it was trumpeted as a great accomplishment to have the first  multi-stadia complex in a downtown setting. in addition to the game, fans could visit other downtown attractions (eat, drink, shop), etc, etc.

from what's being written and said about this move, it sounds like Atl sports fans don't like the city and want to stay as far away from it as they can.

in my experience, getting to a sporting event via public transportation is much less expensive than parking in a stadium lot. 

Before they tear down the stadium, they're going to have to move all of those impressive runner-up trophies. {{{tomahawk chop}}}

that's good stuff  :D

Rush Hour in Atlanta makes the commute in Baltimore seem like a drive thru Mayberry. Employers stagger work hours there to help but some morning jams form at 5AM and some nights its still bumper to bumper after 8PM. And downtown Atlanta is a dead zone once the work day ends. 

The other commenter who mentioned the suburbs north of Atlanta are where the money is was correct.  This is more about a need to relocate than it is about anything else 

Rush Hour in Atlanta makes the commute in Baltimore seem like a drive thru Mayberry. Employers stagger work hours there to help but some morning jams form at 5AM and some nights its still bumper to bumper after 8PM. And downtown Atlanta is a dead zone once the work day ends. 

The other commenter who mentioned the suburbs north of Atlanta are where the money is was correct.  This is more about a need to relocate than it is about anything else 

I can see how that would be a big turnoff. I hate rush hour traffic. 

Really ?  Wow.

You're too old to not drive.

Not driving tends to make one very provincial.

I wish I could get away without driving. commuting sucks the life out of people. B-Matt is one of the lucky ones. plus, with zipcars all over the city, you're never without transportation if you really need it.

The Braves don't care about the car-less.

And they shouldn't.

You're rapidly becoming an urban anacronism.

kudzu--

Then why are fewer and fewer young people getting drivers licenses?

Demographic shifts in the driving population suggest that the trend may accelerate. There has been a large drop in the percentage of 16- to 39-year-olds getting a license, while older people are likely to retain their licenses as they age, Mr. Sivak’s research has found.

He and I have similar observations about our children. Mine (19 and 21) have not bothered to get a driver’s license, even though they both live in places where one could come in handy. They are interested, but it’s not a priority. They organize their summer jobs and social life around where they can walk or take public transportation or car-pool with friends.

matt -

Young people are notoriously stupid.

You are neither young nor stupid.  So why do you support this kind of thing ?

Perhaps it's possible (although inadvisable) that young, stupid NYC bohemians can possibly walk to everything that they could possibly want or need, does that necessarily translate to Atlanta ?  Or any other American city ?