13 replies to this topic

#1 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,556 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

Ed Reed took Texans to the bank -- now he should retire

MAN. What an Ed Reed hater that Mike Preston is!!! Doesn't he know that bmore_ken and Slideoffthefaceoftheearth can't STAND such haters?!!!!

(Carry on.)

;)

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,676 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'd like to see Reed retire before he gets seriously hurt. He is a good person and he has a lot to offer others outside of football. He has some outstanding qualities and he could be a great mentor for young children.

I wish him nothing but the best. He left behind some great memories in Baltimore.

Yeah Preston's really hating :rolleyes:

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#3 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,556 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

Yeah Preston's really hating :rolleyes:

LOL. What a joke. If anyone OTHER than Preston had talked about Reed "taking the Texans to the bank" and that he needs to retire, all we'd hear from you -- and all we HEARD from you -- was how he/we were hating on Reed. What a total hypocrite you are, dude.

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Anyone that watched the Ravens last year with even the slightest objectivity, realized that Reed was done and getting very close to embarrassing himself.  He was huge liability on the field, missed countless tackles, blew plenty of coverages due to his freelancing mentality and cost the Ravens tons of yardage defensively.  I have no clue what the Texans saw on tape that everyone else didn't so I have no sympathy for them.  As professional evaluators of talent, they should have known better. 

#5 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,556 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

Anyone that watched the Ravens last year with even the slightest objectivity, realized that Reed was done and getting very close to embarrassing himself.  He was huge liability on the field, missed countless tackles, blew plenty of coverages due to his freelancing mentality and cost the Ravens tons of yardage defensively.  I have no clue what the Texans saw on tape that everyone else didn't so I have no sympathy for them.  As professional evaluators of talent, they should have known better. 

Exactly! Yet when that was discussed here, fanboys b_more and Slideallovertheplace labeled it "hating" on Ed Reed. Total BS.

#6 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

Exactly! Yet when that was discussed here, fanboys b_more and Slideallovertheplace labeled it "hating" on Ed Reed. Total BS.

I've never understood fans that don't have any objectivity when it comes to players.  When you're done, you're done.  It was a great ride with Ed but the car has pulled up to the curb and it's time for him to get out.  No hate involved, just reality.

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,556 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

I've never understood fans that don't have any objectivity when it comes to players.  When you're done, you're done.  It was a great ride with Ed but the car has pulled up to the curb and it's time for him to get out.  No hate involved, just reality.

Just reality. Plain and simple. And no matter how many times I'd say that Reed was probably my all time favorite Raven, and that I had #20 jerseys (more than one), and that it wasn't hating, it was just seeing it the way it really is, it fell on deaf ears. But now that Preston says the same thing, HE'S not hating, but anyone else who said THE SAME THING is hating. Right.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 12 November 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#8 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

Just reality. Plain and simple. And no matter how many times I'd say that Reed was probably my all time favorite Raven, and that I had #20 jerseys (more than one), and that it wasn't hating, it was just seeing it the way it really is, it fell on deaf ears. But now that Preston says the same thing, HE'S not hating, but anyone else who said THE SAME THING is hating. Right.

Selective hating?  There's a new one.

#9 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,556 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

Selective hating?  There's a new one.

People hate to have their idols questioned.

#10 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

People hate to have their idols questioned.

"People hate to have their idols questioned." so, does that constitute "hate" of those doing the questioning, as you seem to suggest? i think not. the word has been so over-used, it has come to mean whatever people want it to mean, which is sad because lack of appropriate usage stymies communication, the lack of which leads to misunderstanding, which in turn can lead to needless conflict. i suggest everyone go to the dictionary (i realize that's old fashion these days), look up the meaning of "hate," add it to your vocabulary, and use it only in its proper context. on these boards, you'll find the meaning - "to feel intense or passionate dislike for someone" - inappropriate in every instance because "intense or passionate dislike" (unless irrational) requires intimate knowledge of someone, and no one on these boards knows anyone else on these boards from adam.

#11 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,556 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

"People hate to have their idols questioned." so, does that constitute "hate" of those doing the questioning, as you seem to suggest? i think not. the word has been so over-used, it has come to mean whatever people want it to mean, which is sad because lack of appropriate usage stymies communication, the lack of which leads to misunderstanding, which in turn can lead to needless conflict. i suggest everyone go to the dictionary (i realize that's old fashion these days), look up the meaning of "hate," add it to your vocabulary, and use it only in its proper context. on these boards, you'll find the meaning - "to feel intense or passionate dislike for someone" - inappropriate in every instance because "intense or passionate dislike" (unless irrational) requires intimate knowledge of someone, and no one on these boards knows anyone else on these boards from adam.

Well...people tend to fear what they don't know. And out of that fear often grows prejudice and, if taken to its logical/irrational conclusion: hatred. So I'm not sure people need to actually have intimate knowledge of someone to hate them. Hate is often irrational, don't you think?

#12 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

Gordon89 is mostly right. The word hate is so overused - especially on message boards - that it's meaningless.  I won't take it to the literal level he has by insisting one needs intimate knowledge of someone to hate them (I did not know Osam Bin Laden for example), but simple criticism is not hate, and that's what the word is most often used towards on the internet. It get old.

Edited by Struds, 13 November 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#13 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,556 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Gordon89 is mostly right. The word hate is so overused - especially on message boards - that it's meaningless.  I won't take it to the literal level he has by insisting one needs intimate knowledge of someone to hate them (I did not know Osam Bin Laden for example), but simple criticism is not hate, and that's what the word is most often used towards on the internet. It get old.

Word. (By the same token, as often happens in day to day language, "haters" has taken on a more or less informal meaning of "critics".)

#14 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

It is unfortunate when these discussions turn into personal vendettas against particular individuals. Why not limit ourselves to reasonable debates on ideas and opinions? On this board in particular - it's about sports, entertainment, it is supposed to be fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users