Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheResearcher

Costco -- the Bible is fiction

82 posts in this topic

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/11/18/costco-bible-is-fiction/?intcmp=latestnews

"Steven Smith, of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, said the fiction label identifies the thinking of the labeler more than the content of the book.

“To label the Bible fiction is a practical front for an ideological foundation that assumes things spiritual are unreal,” he told me. “What is odd about this choice is the glut of books in the "religion and spirituality" sections in mainstream book stores. However, as large as "spirituality" sections are, there must not be any room for Christianity. Modern thinking on spirituality is too exclusive to allow for the Bible.”"

And now a lyberal will say something about switching to Costco, but the should find out if their local Costco takes EBT cards first.

If one knows it's not fiction, why care what someone else thinks? Though some Catholics embarrass me, I don't care what others think of my religion.

Why do some Catholics embarrass you? Can I assume you are Catholic?

Why do some Catholics embarrass you? Can I assume you are Catholic?

Yes, you can.

Here's the latest example.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/catholic-fringe-defies-pope-disrupts-interfaith-kristallnacht-ceremony-at-argentine-cathedral/2013/11/13/eca47820-4c72-11e3-bf60-c1ca136ae14a_story.html

Catholic fringe defies pope, disrupts interfaith Kristallnacht ceremony at Argentine cathedral Edited by EmDot

My response was in response to your comment about why anyone would care what others thought of their religion.

People will believe or not whatever they want. I don't believe anything I say on a bulletin board will change their minds. I prefer not to waste my breath. Besides, what defense is there for priests molesting minors. That's another thing that embarrasses me. Besides stating that most priests don't do that, It's indefensible.

People will believe or not whatever they want. I don't believe anything I say on a bulletin board will change their minds. I prefer not to waste my breath. Besides, what defense is there for priests molesting minors. That's another thing that embarrasses me. Besides stating that most priests don't do that, It's indefensible.

I am certain that I did not mention your priests molesting children. I would never defend that and I assume that nor would you.

And just as non-believers have the right to mock religious beliefs; people holding religious beliefs have every right to defend their beliefs.

I agree in principal, but does complaining that Bibles were mislabeled as fiction rise to the level of needing to be defended? I would just chalk it up to incompetence on the part of employees. I certainly wouldn't go public with it after I called the company. Did he research other Costco's? Are they all doing it? IMO Costco is more Christian in how they treat their employees than some other companies are. They're doing it rather than just talking about it.

Oh noes!

Someone has a negative opinion about the bible!?

Dust off the fainting couch.

If a believer, why care what others think?

I'm sure that such a long lived institution can stand a little criticism.

I'm curious though.

I wonder how many believing Christians hold that the good book is less than literal...

Raised Catholic, I was taught it was metaphor and allegory, well meaning tales to illustrate a higher point. 

Now in my agnostic later years, I tend to agree. (Fr. Broderick is rolling in his grave)

I would just chalk it up to incompetence on the part of employees. 

Where should have the "incompetent employees" placed it, If not in the fiction section?  

I agree in principal, but does complaining that Bibles were mislabeled as fiction rise to the level of needing to be defended? I would just chalk it up to incompetence on the part of employees. I certainly wouldn't go public with it after I called the company. Did he research other Costco's? Are they all doing it? IMO Costco is more Christian in how they treat their employees than some other companies are. They're doing it rather than just talking about it.

^This^

I am a Christian (and still technically Catholic - even though I haven't gone to Mass in a long time). I find this totally ridiculous and overblown.

I was going to reply to the earlier post, but when I read your post, I realized you hit the points I was going to make. I just have to add this as another phony outrage moment, fueled by the master of phony outrage media - Fox News. But, to be fair, other "news" channels are guilty of this type of silliness. Fox News is just the best at it.

Edited by NCBirdfan

It's not my emotion so I don't know.  Those are questions for the person feeling offended.  The way you would "chalk it up" is the better way -- IMO -- but that doesn't mean that his feelings are not legitimate. As long as he isn't murdering people in the name of his religion I say there is no reason to mock him. It's not our issue.

And gonzo is perfect example of mocking a person because the person seems to defend his religious beliefs.  Its seems that few people truly follow the "live and let live" mantra.

It's not my emotion so I don't know.  Those are questions for the person feeling offended.  The way you would "chalk it up" is the better way -- IMO -- but that doesn't mean that his feelings are not legitimate. As long as he isn't murdering people in the name of his religion I say there is no reason to mock him. It's not our issue.

And gonzo is perfect example of mocking a person because the person seems to defend his religious beliefs.  Its seems that few people truly follow the "live and let live" mantra.

This just seems to be an over-reaction and self-serving to me. The proper way to deal with the labeling issue would be to contact the store manager and if the store manager didn't or couldn't do anything, the next step would be to contact corporate headquarters. But he asked employees? They have no jurisdiction, authority or understanding on it. That's like asking a gas attendant why the prices jumped from one day to another. They're just employees. They don't know. 

“People are pretty shocked and upset,” he told me. “We are supposed to be living in an era of tolerance, but what Costco did doesn’t seem too tolerant.”

I doubt they would label the Koran as fiction, Pastor Kaltenbach said. Heaven help us if they did.

What?!!!?? Costco sells the Koran? This pastor is looking for attention and Fox News is willing to give it to him. OUTRAGE SELLS!! 

This just seems to be an over-reaction and self-serving to me. The proper way to deal with the labeling issue would be to contact the store manager and if the store manager didn't or couldn't do anything, the next step would be to contact corporate headquarters. But he asked employees? They have no jurisdiction, authority or understanding on it. That's like asking a gas attendant why the prices jumped from one day to another. They're just employees. They don't know. 

What?!!!?? Costco sells the Koran? This pastor is looking for attention and Fox News is willing to give it to him. OUTRAGE SELLS!! 

Probably. It just doesn't bother me like it appears to bother some. I just don't feel a need to mock him. And despite being raised in religion, I have not stepped into a house of worship (except for weddings and funerals) in over 30 years.

By the way, it is interesting that the books were not marked 'religion' or 'inspiration.'  However, I don't think that it's a vast Costco conspiracy.

Agreed. I will see how it is labeled at my local Costco for curiosity sake.

If one knows it's not fiction, why care what someone else thinks? Though some Catholics embarrass me, I don't care what others think of my religion.

I know how you feel. Some Taoists embarrass me. Especially the ones who try to use its writings as a New Age-y, anything-goes, excuse by misinterpreting the writings to fit their chosen lyfestyle. Lyberals.