#1 TheResearcher

TheResearcher

Debonair, Handsome, Intelligent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...tcmp=latestnews

"Steven Smith, of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, said the fiction label identifies the thinking of the labeler more than the content of the book.

“To label the Bible fiction is a practical front for an ideological foundation that assumes things spiritual are unreal,” he told me. “What is odd about this choice is the glut of books in the "religion and spirituality" sections in mainstream book stores. However, as large as "spirituality" sections are, there must not be any room for Christianity. Modern thinking on spirituality is too exclusive to allow for the Bible.”"

And now a lyberal will say something about switching to Costco, but the should find out if their local Costco takes EBT cards first.

#2 banner1124

banner1124

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,513 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

Does kind of fit the definition doesn't it?

*****HAIL TO THE REDSKINS*****

#3 EmDot

EmDot

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,825 posts
  • LocationIn the land of optimism

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

If one knows it's not fiction, why care what someone else thinks? Though some Catholics embarrass me, I don't care what others think of my religion.

To retaliate in kind would do nothing but intensify the existence of hate in the universe. Along the way of life, someone must have sense enough, and morality enough, to cut off the chain of hate. ~~ MLK

#4 Fang

Fang

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

If one knows it's not fiction, why care what someone else thinks? Though some Catholics embarrass me, I don't care what others think of my religion.

Why do some Catholics embarrass you? Can I assume you are Catholic?

#5 EmDot

EmDot

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,825 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

Why do some Catholics embarrass you? Can I assume you are Catholic?

Yes, you can.

Here's the latest example.

http://www.washingto...e14a_story.html

Catholic fringe defies pope, disrupts interfaith Kristallnacht ceremony at Argentine cathedral

Edited by EmDot, 19 November 2013 - 09:56 PM.

To retaliate in kind would do nothing but intensify the existence of hate in the universe. Along the way of life, someone must have sense enough, and morality enough, to cut off the chain of hate. ~~ MLK

#6 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,220 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

People tend to defend their religious beliefs. Go figure.

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

#7 EmDot

EmDot

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,825 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

People tend to defend their religious beliefs. Go figure.

They're religion was being attacked?

#8 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,505 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

At Ollies I once found "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" in the travel section.  I think Costco was more accurate.

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#9 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,220 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

They're religion was being attacked?

My response was in response to your comment about why anyone would care what others thought of their religion.

#10 EmDot

EmDot

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,825 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

My response was in response to your comment about why anyone would care what others thought of their religion.

People will believe or not whatever they want. I don't believe anything I say on a bulletin board will change their minds. I prefer not to waste my breath. Besides, what defense is there for priests molesting minors. That's another thing that embarrasses me. Besides stating that most priests don't do that, It's indefensible.

#11 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,220 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

People will believe or not whatever they want. I don't believe anything I say on a bulletin board will change their minds. I prefer not to waste my breath. Besides, what defense is there for priests molesting minors. That's another thing that embarrasses me. Besides stating that most priests don't do that, It's indefensible.

I am certain that I did not mention your priests molesting children. I would never defend that and I assume that nor would you.

#12 EmDot

EmDot

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,825 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

At Ollies I once found "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" in the travel section.  I think Costco was more accurate.

That's funny. :D

#13 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,220 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

And just as non-believers have the right to mock religious beliefs; people holding religious beliefs have every right to defend their beliefs.

#14 EmDot

EmDot

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,825 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

And just as non-believers have the right to mock religious beliefs; people holding religious beliefs have every right to defend their beliefs.

I agree in principal, but does complaining that Bibles were mislabeled as fiction rise to the level of needing to be defended? I would just chalk it up to incompetence on the part of employees. I certainly wouldn't go public with it after I called the company. Did he research other Costco's? Are they all doing it? IMO Costco is more Christian in how they treat their employees than some other companies are. They're doing it rather than just talking about it.

#15 gonzoliberal

gonzoliberal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,811 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis, Maryland

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

Oh noes!

Someone has a negative opinion about the bible!?

Dust off the fainting couch.

If a believer, why care what others think?

I'm sure that such a long lived institution can stand a little criticism.

I'm curious though.

I wonder how many believing Christians hold that the good book is less than literal...

Raised Catholic, I was taught it was metaphor and allegory, well meaning tales to illustrate a higher point. 

Now in my agnostic later years, I tend to agree. (Fr. Broderick is rolling in his grave)

#16 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts
  • LocationColumbia

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

I would just chalk it up to incompetence on the part of employees. 

Where should have the "incompetent employees" placed it, If not in the fiction section?  

#17 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,927 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

I agree in principal, but does complaining that Bibles were mislabeled as fiction rise to the level of needing to be defended? I would just chalk it up to incompetence on the part of employees. I certainly wouldn't go public with it after I called the company. Did he research other Costco's? Are they all doing it? IMO Costco is more Christian in how they treat their employees than some other companies are. They're doing it rather than just talking about it.

^This^

I am a Christian (and still technically Catholic - even though I haven't gone to Mass in a long time). I find this totally ridiculous and overblown.

I was going to reply to the earlier post, but when I read your post, I realized you hit the points I was going to make. I just have to add this as another phony outrage moment, fueled by the master of phony outrage media - Fox News. But, to be fair, other "news" channels are guilty of this type of silliness. Fox News is just the best at it.

Edited by NCBirdfan, 20 November 2013 - 06:35 AM.

-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#18 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,220 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

It's not my emotion so I don't know.  Those are questions for the person feeling offended.  The way you would "chalk it up" is the better way -- IMO -- but that doesn't mean that his feelings are not legitimate. As long as he isn't murdering people in the name of his religion I say there is no reason to mock him. It's not our issue.

And gonzo is perfect example of mocking a person because the person seems to defend his religious beliefs.  Its seems that few people truly follow the "live and let live" mantra.

#19 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,220 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

By the way, it is interesting that the books were not marked 'religion' or 'inspiration.'  However, I don't think that it's a vast Costco conspiracy.

Edited by Sprightly, 20 November 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#20 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,927 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:48 AM

It's not my emotion so I don't know.  Those are questions for the person feeling offended.  The way you would "chalk it up" is the better way -- IMO -- but that doesn't mean that his feelings are not legitimate. As long as he isn't murdering people in the name of his religion I say there is no reason to mock him. It's not our issue.

And gonzo is perfect example of mocking a person because the person seems to defend his religious beliefs.  Its seems that few people truly follow the "live and let live" mantra.

This just seems to be an over-reaction and self-serving to me. The proper way to deal with the labeling issue would be to contact the store manager and if the store manager didn't or couldn't do anything, the next step would be to contact corporate headquarters. But he asked employees? They have no jurisdiction, authority or understanding on it. That's like asking a gas attendant why the prices jumped from one day to another. They're just employees. They don't know. 

“People are pretty shocked and upset,” he told me. “We are supposed to be living in an era of tolerance, but what Costco did doesn’t seem too tolerant.”

I doubt they would label the Koran as fiction, Pastor Kaltenbach said. Heaven help us if they did.

What?!!!?? Costco sells the Koran? This pastor is looking for attention and Fox News is willing to give it to him. OUTRAGE SELLS!! 

-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users