8 replies to this topic

#1 aok

aok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

I have heard all the lines about how when you lose veterans the way the Ravens have, the team needs to learn how to win, gell together and in the long run rebuild. Well I don't buy this. Last night I was watching the Patriots and really for all my knowledge on football plaers, granted is is not much, but I could only say I recognized two players. Gronk and Brady. I look at these guys and said why is it the Ravens have at least 5 or 6 players anyone in football aware class knows. Why is it a team like the Pats can year in and out put a team on the field and contend for a SB. 

Last night made me think, if one organization can do this than why do others use the excuse that they are rebuilding when they start losing.

Edited by aok, 20 November 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#2 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

I think it starts with their head coach.  Granted, Belichick can be a jerk and is probably disliked by most of his players, including Brady, but no one can deny  his results over the years.  Earl Weaver was hated by a good portion of his players but they all respected him as a manager and he knew how to get the most out of the talent he had.   I think Belichick does the same and that's one of John Harbaugh's weaknesses- I don't think he does maximize the roster he's got in front of him.  And then of course, there's the Tom Brady factor.  He's a great quarterback and can make average receivers look better than they are.  He had a fairly rough beginning to the season but eventually, he will usually get in sync with the offensive tools he has at his disposal.  Not to mention that the Patriots almost always have a great offensive line.  Joe Flacco could only hope to be that lucky.  I think those are the main reasons New England is always in the hunt but remember, they haven't been to a Super Bowl in awhile, so just getting to the play-offs doesn't guarantee anything.

#3 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,579 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

The simplest answer is right in front of your face: the Pats have Gronkowski, and the Ravens have Dickson. The Pats also have Amendola and Edelman, while the Ravens have Stokley and Doss. The Pats have Josh McDaniels and the Ravens have Jim Caldwell. The Pats have Belichick, and the Ravens have Harbaugh. (And for all of Harbaugh's purported toughness, when Kelley Washington came here from the Pats for one year he commented that Belichick was MUCH tougher as a head coach than Harbaugh.) And obviously the Pats have Brady, and the Ravens have Joe. There are a lot of differences between the two teams. But in case you hadn't noticed...the Pats still lost. And Brady has a rep for falling apart when he's hit; Joe does not. And...Joe has outplayed Brady the past two times they met in the post season.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 20 November 2013 - 08:01 AM.

#4 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,579 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

And here's an interesting take on one NFL player's opinion on what's going on in Dallas, and why that team has trouble putting it all together when it comes to wins. He says the players are good, and the coaches are good, but the environment, created by the owner, Jerry Jones, makes it hard for everything to come together as a winning TEAM, because there's so much hype and pressure.

http://profootballta...hing-potential/

#5 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

It is simple, they have Tom Brady. In my opinion he is the best QB of this generation and a Wes Welker catch away (Super Bowl against Giants) from being in the discussion of best ever. Bilicheat gets a lot of credit for being a defensive genius, but ever since they got caught cheating and the NFL destroyed the evidence his defense has consistently almost every year ranked in the bottom 10 of the NFL.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

here's another big factor that definitely leads to increased opportunities to win a game.

no defense is allowed to get near Brady.

if they do, they get 15 yr penalties. no other QB gets that type of protection from the league. here are juxtaposed examples. last Sunday, Joe ran the ball for a 1st down and slide to avoid getting hit. seconds later, a defender dived over Joe and drove his knee into his helmet. there was no penalty called. Monday night, a defender was charging Brady. he got his pass off and the defender rerouted his momentum to avoid hitting him. but he didn't get his arm down and his hand brushed across Brady's face mask. boom, automatic first down. flip the QBs into the other's situation, and the results would flip with them. Brady would have gotten his 15 yards for unnecessary roughness, and Joe (or any other QB)  wouldn't have gotten the face-mask call.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

I have heard all the lines about how when you lose veterans the way the Ravens have, the team needs to learn how to win, gell together and in the long run rebuild. Well I don't buy this. Last night I was watching the Patriots and really for all my knowledge on football plaers, granted is is not much, but I could only say I recognized two players. Gronk and Brady. I look at these guys and said why is it the Ravens have at least 5 or 6 players anyone in football aware class knows. Why is it a team like the Pats can year in and out put a team on the field and contend for a SB. 

Last night made me think, if one organization can do this than why do others use the excuse that they are rebuilding when they start losing.

i think the preponderance of the answer to your question, young lady, lies mainly in the coaching, and to a lessor degree ownership. the vast majority of NFL players are (via an excruciating selection process based upon how good you are, not who you know) championship caliber athletes. but that doesn't make for a championship caliber team unless the leadership/coaching/ownership are also championship caliber. coaches and assistants are too often chosen not on the basis of best talent & organizational fit but on patronage & favoritism, e.g. mattison, castillo. the patriots are always in the hunt because they operate - to use a military analogy - like marines. that is to say mainly on the basis of merit, discipline, and highest proficiency at every level within the organization. all of their leaders & coaches are respected if disliked. NFL players, like marines, will gladly go into "combat" with a leader/coach they dislike as a person but respect as a "warrior" because effective teamwork & mission accomplishment (championships) depend on it. the last true "warriors" and leader-coaches the ravens had were a few guys named ray lewis, ed reed, and anquan boldin. we are now witnessing just how much those guys carried the ravens and it's coaching staff during their time, and it should NEVER be that way. consistently high-performing organizations breed competence & leadership throughout the ranks in an impartial, merit-based system. that's an ethos that begins at the top. the patriots have that.

#8 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

In today's NFL you can't be tough as a coach until you win a Super Bowl. Tom Coughlin was hated until he won a Super Bowl. He can be tough now without the attacks from players and media. Fans need to back off. It is HARD to repeat, everyone is gunning for you. People also go to NE because they want to win and the Pats can low ball players because of the chance to win a ring. I think a veteran player would rather make $300,000 in NE than $800.000 in Arizona, Washington or Jacksonville.

#9 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

Zero competition in their division also helps the Patriots.  At worst, they are guaranteed one home playoff game a year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users