Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Griffin and running... is it more clear now?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,445 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

So last season we debated the "revolution" Griffin was supposedly bringing to the NFL, to the position of QB.  Some said that his freakish ability to run from the pocket was creating open space beyond the LOS for his targets to run around in.  The play-action, and hesitation looking to see if Griffin would take off, froze DBs and LBs and helped create open space and big gaps to take advantage of.  The risk there, as Griffin runs more and more... is that eventually those legs are going to get hurt and/or the body's going to take a beating that a QB should avoid.  The guy's an incredibly gifted athlete who can play the position and play it well.  But it isn't going to last long-term if he keeps / kept trying to do it the way they did in 2012.

A year later, Griffin isn't the running threat that he was before the knee injury, and things aren't as easy.  Griffin interprets it as "the defense seems to know what's coming", which starts a silly crap storm of media drama about him taking a shot at the coaching staff... when in reality... defenders just aren't standing still an extra half second watching to see if he bolts out of the pocket.  They don't worry about it as much.  That little bit of hesitation makes all the difference in the world.

It's the difference between a Santana Moss running free between the LBs and the deep safety... or Santana Moss carrying a LB on his hip the whole way downfield.  It's the difference between a LB in goal line releasing a RB or TE to the flat, because he freezes for a second to spy on the edge, or that same LB running step for step with the guy who splits out.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#2 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,134 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

Defenses always adjust.

#3 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,000 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

He isn't running as much because of the injury and his offensive coordinator is a moron. The read option still works just fine.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#4 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,445 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

He isn't running as much, or as well, because the read option brought about the injury...

Notice the subtle difference / correction?

2012... making big plays with his feet, making big throws to wide open targets (because the back 7 are watching his feet)

2013... take away his ability to use the feet as well, and now he suddenly feels like the opponent "kind of knew what was coming before it was coming"

2012 they had to defend a lot of different options, where the guy who touched the ball on every play was one of those versatile threats.  2013 they don't have to worry nearly as much about the guy who touches the ball every play, and they can stick to their assignments more.  That's why it seems like they "know what's coming". 

Edited by Ravens2006, 22 November 2013 - 08:07 AM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#5 baltimoreron

baltimoreron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

Russell Wilson is a better QB and the real deal. RG 3 and 7, not so much.

Old & Busted - Big Ben. New hotness - Joe Cool.
... R.I.P. Arch

#6 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,000 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Russell Wilson is a better QB and the real deal. RG 3 and 7, not so much.

Comical. Put Wilson behind the Redskins line and he'd barely complete half his passes. Russell Wilson looks every week like Griffin looked last week. He is horribly inaccurate and gets bailed out all the time.

Ravens2006, Griffin did not get hurt on a read option play. It was a scramble against the Ravens and in the pocket against the Seahawks. He got hit less often in the read option. Fact.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#7 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,134 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

Comical. Put Wilson behind the Redskins line and he'd barely complete half his passes. Russell Wilson looks every week like Griffin looked last week. He is horribly inaccurate and gets bailed out all the time.

Ravens2006, Griffin did not get hurt on a read option play. It was a scramble against the Ravens and in the pocket against the Seahawks. He got hit less often in the read option. Fact.

Worst part about that play was that he already had the first down but kept going for more.  A simple slide and who knows...

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Worst part about that play was that he already had the first down but kept going for more.  A simple slide and who knows...

there it is

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,927 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

RG she= Greg Cook. OYW-one year wonder. Hopefully someday he'll develop leadership skills and stop being a celebrity quarterback.

#10 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,555 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

its like most of us said, blazing fast qb's can be successfully in the nfl for a short time .......

but its dumb to build your offense around their legs .......

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#11 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

RG III is a washed up flash in the pan. A one year wonder whose career (if he is lucky) will be on a par with Michael Vick. But that is only if he can be healthy enough to play enough games as Vick. I and many others here called it last year...and anybody wih an ounce of NFL football sense knew it. The read option is also a gimmick play and essentially worthless in the NFL once teams plan for it defensively. Again, anyone with an ounce of NFL football sense knows this...

What has sort of astonished even me is how much of a drama queen he has developed into in such a short time. It's pretty bad when his own teamates are calling out his lack of leadership skills and the real deal Redskin HOF QB Sonny Jurgenson, no less is calling for his benchng in lieu of Kurt Cousins. Oh, how quickly his stock has fallen. Sort of like a certain Redskin's credibility when it comes to judging an NFL QB's talent and future sucess.. Ha, Ha..

And yes, the poster who said Russell Wilson is a lot better is spot on. Again, I easily called that last season. If for no other reason than Wilson, like Joe Flacco, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and all the top echelon NFL QB's knows how to slide to avoid getting killed by a defender. Something the knuckle headed Bob III had to learn the hard way.... and now it has ruined his threat of running. Easily predictable...like watching a train wreck about to happen..his career path toward mediocrity.

Edited by Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!, 23 November 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#12 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,445 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

Sorry, using the term "read option" was a mistake.  It's the focus on running in general from the QB position that is dangerous.  If he throws, or throws it away, Ngata isn't bending his legs in strange positions while he's trying to run.

The short term gain of the flashy "big play" from a running QB isn't worth the long term damage.  If he learns to be a pocket QB, he'll have a long, productive career.  But the more he / they rely on the gimmick on a weekly basis, the less effective he'll be long-term.  There's a difference between being mobile and buying more time to throw... and let targets get open.  Running to advance the ball as a primary option... leads to anncredibly gifted young athlete struggling with knee issues in his first two seasons.

Edited by Ravens2006, 24 November 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#13 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,000 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

Sorry, using the term "read option" was a mistake.  It's the focus on running in general from the QB position that is dangerous.  If he throws, or throws it away, Ngata isn't bending his legs in strange positions while he's trying to run.

The short term gain of the flashy "big play" from a running QB isn't worth the long term damage.  If he learns to be a pocket QB, he'll have a long, productive career.  But the more he / they rely on the gimmick on a weekly basis, the less effective he'll be long-term.  There's a difference between being mobile and buying more time to throw... and let targets get open.  Running to advance the ball as a primary option... leads to anncredibly gifted young athlete struggling with knee issues in his first two seasons.

Mobile QBs are more valuable because they can extend plays. He should have gone down or out of bounds on the Ngata play. It had very little to do with their scheme.

Currently, they have been trying to make him a pocket passer and he has the ability but there are four guys not named Williams in front of him who can't block. As such, he is getting killed IN THE POCKET this season. I think they should run more read option or, at the very least, run more roll outs to get him out of the pocket. Unfortunately, Kyle and Mike Shanahan think they know better or simply don't care.

#14 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,555 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...eers-leadership

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#15 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,000 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

Nice timing on that article. Luck sure looked like a world beater yesterday. Trust me, there are very few teams where Wilson looks the way he does. I watch a ton of games and he is simply inaccurate and gets bailed out time and time again. I like the kid. He's a Virginia boy. His offense is centered around Lynch, not him.

#16 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,555 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

49ers are daring rg3 and 7 to beat them with his arm ........

he's making vick look accurate tonight .....

Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

#17 Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

Baltimore Ravens Lets Go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:56 AM

Mobile QBs are more valuable because they can extend plays. He should have gone down or out of bounds on the Ngata play. It had very little to do with their scheme.

Currently, they have been trying to make him a pocket passer and he has the ability but there are four guys not named Williams in front of him who can't block. As such, he is getting killed IN THE POCKET this season. I think they should run more read option or, at the very least, run more roll outs to get him out of the pocket. Unfortunately, Kyle and Mike Shanahan think they know better or simply don't care.

He is getting killed in the pocket because he can't read a defense and guys are not getting wide open like last season due to his threat to run. He has become one dimensional and due to his bad leg, can't run or step into his throws. He was ruined last season by his/Shanahan's stupidity. You are living in denial if you believe otherwise son..

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

the guys on MNF were commenting that it's easy to be "the cap't" when your winning. but a cap't is a leader during the bad times as well. RG3 isn't showing leadership qualities. I don't think he's earned that "C" patch he wears.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#19 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,000 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

the guys on MNF were commenting that it's easy to be "the cap't" when your winning. but a cap't is a leader during the bad times as well. RG3 isn't showing leadership qualities. I don't think he's earned that "C" patch he wears.

He carried the team to the playoffs last year. He earned it more than Flacco earned his contract.

#20 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,134 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

He carried the team to the playoffs last year. He earned it more than Flacco earned his contract.

Flacco carried the team to a championship...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users