• 3,303 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

Harbaugh wants new Thanksgiving tradition
November, 25, 2013
Nov 25
7:15
PM ET
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens will play host to the Thanksgiving night game for the second time in three years when they face the Pittsburgh Steelers at M&T Bank Stadium on Thursday. Ravens coach John Harbaugh is lobbying to make this an annual event.

Harbaugh
"At any point in time the NFL and Roger [Goodell, NFL commissioner] want to make this tradition, wouldn't we all be for that in Baltimore?," Harbaugh said. "That would be pretty amazing. We'd love it."

The NFL has held Thanksgiving day games in Detroit and Dallas every year since 1978. The league added a night game on Thanksgiving starting in 2006, and only the Ravens and New York Jets have hosted that night game more than once.

The Ravens played their first game on Thanksgiving in 2011, when they beat the San Francisco 49ers, 16-6, in Baltimore. On Thursday, the Ravens (5-6) face the Steelers (5-6) in a game that is loaded with playoff implications.

"It's an honor to play on Thanksgiving," Harbaugh said. "We get a chance to play in front of the whole country in a rivalry such as this in Baltimore. I think this is something you work hard for. We can't wait to play."

I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#2 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,532 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

It's not going to happen.  The problem with locking a team into that game has been seen plenty of times before when Detroit has been terrible and still hosted a game.  A few years ago they had no wins and the nation was still stuck watching them.  If the NFL could find a diplomatic way around the tradition in Detroit and Dallas, they probably would.  They aren't about to add a third team into that mix.  At least now they can kind of guess at what would be a good game. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#3 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,535 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

I'm all against it... since we're always away for Thanksgiving visiting the wife's family...

Edited by Ravens2006, 26 November 2013 - 08:38 AM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#4 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

I like that the evening game has offered a mix of teams. More Harbaugh stupidity.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#5 jessup270

jessup270

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,919 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Anyone who is really informed knows the NFL is all about TV.  Fans attending the games are props for the TV audience.

If the NFL executives were smart, they would flex the Thanksgiving games. 

Because its a thursday game, just select the teams, two weeks in advance.

Of course some fans would whine for a bit, but the TV ratings from good Thanksgiving match ups would be worth millions.

#6 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

I thought Hatbs was being tongue in cheek, but definitely a Nay from me.  Let Dallas and Detroit be the only constants; short weeks generally suck.

#7 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

It would be sort of a nice gesture of respect for Baltimore football, who lord knows have often felt disrespected. But I prefer not to be locked into every Thanksgiving. Thursday games are a pain in general for the team, and for me personally, I will catch most of the Steelers' game on the radio in my car returning from a family gathering in Philadelphia. I would much rather be home, especially for the Steelers. And I agree it would be dumb for the NFL to get locked into another scheduling box.

#8 aok

aok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Seems to me the people in BMore are fickle. If you don't get a National Monday, Sunday nite or Thursday nite game you cry. Now that it may be as constant you don't like the idea,

#9 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

Seems to me the people in BMore are fickle. If you don't get a National Monday, Sunday nite or Thursday nite game you cry. Now that it may be as constant you don't like the idea,

First of all, I don't care too much about the "Prime Time" games; I believe the respect factor of having them is overrated.  Also, age and work make me somewhat less interested in games ending around midnight.   ;)

Secondly. Do you really not see a difference between some fans wanting their share of those prime time games and a fixed annual date?  I think there is a huge difference between the thoughts.

#10 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,626 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

NAY, I hate home thanksgiving games .......

I sold my tickets for tommorrow night, first steeler home game I have missed since the ravens came to baltimore and been to half a dozen in pittsburgh too .....

I will be watching on tv with my family, exactly where I should be since the kids are only home a couple of days ......

They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#11 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,708 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

NAY, I hate home thanksgiving games .......

I sold my tickets for tommorrow night, first steeler home game I have missed since the ravens came to baltimore and been to half a dozen in pittsburgh too .....

I will be watching on tv with my family, exactly where I should be since the kids are only home a couple of days ......

My feelings exactly.

Actually, I detest going to night games. I especially detest going to night games against the Steelers. People start drinking at 1:00 and come into the stadium so darn drunk and so obnoxious it ruins the game for me. I like hoisting a cold one as much as the next guy, but there is nothing sadder than an angry sloppy drunk in his mid 40's who still thinks he is 20.

Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users