• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

I started reading everyone's stories about how great the Md HS football teams were . I should have known the remarks were just a parent being proud but in reality the HS in football is only good, not great mind you but very good. Don't give me the common reply that the teams in Fl and Texas play year around. I have read many schools in Md now have their kids weight lifting and working out as well year around. Also don't tell me about Spring football in these states as I see Md also has 7 on 7 and camps in the summer as well. Also all players can go to a college camp. Yes excuses can be made but until you change a few rules Md will continue to be good but not great in the sport. 

This year in Florida we have several teams that have made the top 25. Just recently we have also lost a team that was ranked number 1 in their division and 18th overall in the Country but once again we see teams waiting to get in are readily added. Isn't it time Md put forth the next shoe and begin a program like these states. To say the reason these states do so well is only an excuse for your systems failure. Time to take the next step Maryland and make football what it should be. The best sport to play in HS and also over 80 % of these kids on these teams get scholarships to many D-1 to D-3 schools. Many graduate with over 3,3 gpa and many become professional players. Here is the list of the Nations top 25. Look good and see how your area did.

Top 25 HS Programs in the Nation from the USA Today for week of 11-24-13

1. Booker T Washington..... Miami Fl

2. Allen...Allen Texas

3. Miami Central... Miami Fl.

4. Katy  ... Katy Texas

5. St. John Bosco... Belflower Cal

6. De La Salle ...Concord Cal

7.Hoover... Birmingham Ala

8. Junipero Serra... Gardena Cal

9. Desoto... Desoto Texas

10. Oscar Smith... Chesapeake Va

11. St. Joseph... Montvale N.J

12. Mountain Pointe...Phoenix Ar

13.Northwestern... Rock Hill S.C.

14. Bellevue... Bellevue Wa.

15. Miramar... Miramar Fl

16. Byrnes... Duncan S.c.

17. Mallard Creek... Charlotte N.C.

18. Brother Rice... Bloomfield Hills Mich

19. Jenks... Jenks Ok

20. Bingham... South Jordan Utah

21. Blue Springs... Blue Springs Mo

22. Punahou...Honolulu Ha

23. DeMatha ... Hyattsville Md

24. Mentor... Mentor Ohio

25.Fort Pierce Central...Fort Pierce Florida

Yes people look at this list. Only one school from Maryland made the top 25. In reality the school that made it is in the DC area. So as big as Baltimore is, no schools made the list. Areas in Florida and Texas as well as Cal in some cases have less than 10,000 people in the. In Baltimore it appears to me schools that are private as well as some that are public recruit heavily. In Florida private schools usually play in Boy Scout Leagues or leagues that have athletes playing under 175 lbs and less than 6 feet tall. Yes the teams draw from local areas but in Florida the whole town comes out to support their team. In Maryland I have been to a very big game this past year and saw around 1500 at most. Maybe it isn't the athletes fault for only being average but the support they get looks to be very negative. When a school with a population of over 1000 can only have 500 come to a game or less, than is it any wonder the school does not support that program. Yes people you can all talk big about how great your schools are but did you ever give the thought of actually going out and supporting your kids teams. Maybe than the schools will notice you actually care about these athletes instead of giving lip service on paper. 

http://www.maxpreps..../xcellent25.htm

This was Max Preps top teams

Edited by justforfun, 27 November 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#2 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

By the way here is Max Preps top 25

http://www.maxpreps....te-rankings.htm

This was before this past week and the upsets that happened

Edited by justforfun, 27 November 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#3 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the thinly-veiled gloating. Shall we go over all the advantages Florida has over Maryland in HS football:

- year-round good weather conducive to football training

- a much larger population base

- full-contact Spring football

- an actual real game against another team to end Spring football

- lower emphasis on sports like basketball and lacrosse

- earlier season practice and competition start dates

And with all of this a 6-5 Good Counsel team that was beaten by a Gilman team that McDonogh beat worse than your beloved 11-1 Manatee beat a 9-3 Immokalee team that made it to the 2nd round of the 5A FHSAA playoffs 33-0. Not to mention an average Florida team (4-6 Nease) being taken to the woodshed by an average Maryland team (5-6 St. Frances). Also, DeMatha spanked a 10-2 Godby team pretty good as well.

So maybe, even with all of Florida's advantages, just maybe Maryland football isn't so bad, maybe it's Florida football that's overrated if little old Maryland teams went 5-2 against Florida teams this year.

#4 aok

aok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for the thinly-veiled gloating. Shall we go over all the advantages Florida has over Maryland in HS football:

And with all of this a 6-5 Good Counsel team that was beaten by a Gilman team that McDonogh beat worse than your beloved 11-1 Manatee beat a 9-3 Immokalee team that made it to the 2nd round of the 5A FHSAA playoffs 33-0. Not to mention an average Florida team (4-6 Nease) being taken to the woodshed by an average Maryland team (5-6 St. Frances). Also, DeMatha spanked a 10-2 Godby team pretty good as well.

So maybe, even with all of Florida's advantages, just maybe Maryland football isn't so bad, maybe it's Florida football that's overrated if little old Maryland teams went 5-2 against Florida teams this year.

While I do agree there are some advantages for Florida Football, I think many of the players do play multiple sports. Many play baseball, basketball is big in Fl and Lax is starting to take hold. Soccer is very big in Fl as is fishing and all water sports. One thing you forget Florida is a warm state but offers other sports also that Maryland may not. Bowling is very big and Volleyball as well. As for population. Some areas draw from as little as 5000 and the city of Miami is about the size of Baltimore. I think both states have quality kids that play the sport. The spring game is full contact but not in all areas of the game. Kicking is usually no rush and the ball gets spotted at the catch. So the special teams play is non existent. The coaches keep the hitting to a minimum. It is usually agreed that the 1st and 4th quarters are filled with first stringers and the other quarters have new kids play. Maryland could do the same. The spring practice starts in May and ends with a game 2 weeks later. So why can't Md do this? Folrida kids are in the weight room usually from Jan til May or playing other sports, I would think Md kids do the same. As for Florida, usually the kids stay in the local area to play. In Md it seems the good kids are recruited to play in private schools leaving the local teams a little less quality. So you see Florida does exactly what Md does but Md has so many rules that it hinders them. As for athletes , they all play year around in all States, you may not think so but I would bet Md is in the gym getting bigger, faster and stronger year around just as other kids in other states do. So in general your argument is filled with mis beliefs.

Edited by aok, 27 November 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#5 aok

aok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

By the way footbal practice starts in August and the teams usually don't go to full gear until after the 3rd day. First game is the end of August.

Edited by aok, 27 November 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#6 aok

aok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

The teams you mentioned are not even in the top 50 in Fl. All except Manatee that is who at the time beat one of Md's elite teams. Manatee was beaten by a team with one loss this past week. Now Let's compare Booker T to Maryland's best Dematha.... I think it would be a good game for 3 quarters but Booker T is unbelievably good. Next I think McDonogh is Md's second best school. Put them against Miami Central or even a Saint Thomas and this is where the competition starts to separate. After these two top Md teams you may have 5 or 6 teams that could compete with one another but Florida has about 30 teams that could beat even the best on any given day. This was seen this past week as a team like Fort Pierce beat Manatee 17-15. One thing you also forget is many HS in Florida go 3 deep in talent. If a Md team loses it's Star to injury, it usually means a so so year. Just saying.

#7 prepfan

prepfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Less than half (18) of the states are represented (36%). Does that mean the MD schools are better than 2/3 of the nation ?

No representation from GA, or LA. , NE, PA, . . .

these "paper" rankings are just for the junkies (who love to argue just to hear themselves).

Sorry, there is no way to compare across geography (or time; year-to-year for that matter) on an objective basis, Even any computer application used is designed by/with human bias.

Edited by prepfan, 27 November 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#8 sparky1

sparky1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

There is no meaningful way to rank high school football teams nationally. It is a sport that is played maybe 14 times a year predominantly within a single state, and the very best team may only play 3 or four regionally ranked teams that year. Why even bother? It is a great sport but come on, if you want to rank high school athletes find some sport where the best athletes  typically compete against one another. they are very hard to find. Wrestling maybe or swimming. You may be able to compare track if you can find some way to equalize the times.   

The suggestion that the football played in some states is better than others may be true but you only pick TX and FL. States that have literally dozens of in state colleges and universities supporting football. Pick another popular high school sport wrestling or lacrosse or any of a number of others and they do not look so good. Is it any wonder that those states have less than a handful of scholarship providing colleges and universities within their borders?

To a cynic it would seem that there is some other suggestion that is being made here. To be PC and oversimplistic I will say you are saying that the boys down south are innately superior to the boys of Maryland. I disagree. 

#9 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

Isee you are all looking and finding reasons for your areas lack of making the top 25. You would all be crying or should I say shouting a different tune if you had 3 or 4 in the top 25. You people are hilarious. When it is all about you you eave on about how great you are but let it go the other way and you say it doesn't count because the poll is not accurate..... I will say wrestling is one sport that schools can easily be judged in though. 

Let me just say this though. I see you accept other polls when your beloved teams are tops but can't accept a poll that has only one of your teams in it and that team is at the bottom.

#10 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Isee you are all looking and finding reasons for your areas lack of making the top 25. You would all be crying or should I say shouting a different tune if you had 3 or 4 in the top 25. You people are hilarious. When it is all about you you eave on about how great you are but let it go the other way and you say it doesn't count because the poll is not accurate..... I will say wrestling is one sport that schools can easily be judged in though. 

Let me just say this though. I see you accept other polls when your beloved teams are tops but can't accept a poll that has only one of your teams in it and that team is at the bottom.

Maryland 5, Florida 2 is the only stat that matters.

I see Champagnat Catholic, who Eastern Christian beat 40-6, is 12-1, still in the playoffs and has only given up 120 points all year. That's right, ECA scored a full 1/3 of the points that they've given up all year.

#11 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

One thing one must think of when comparing teams. The school you are saying is so great in Fl is considered down here as playing in the Boy Scout League. It would be like your team ECA playing a Northeast team in your area. These kids average less than 200 lbs and no bigger than 6-1 and that's being kind. Now if you put that same school against a quality school say a Saint Thomas from down here how wood they fair. I think when you compare you must go to a 4a to 5a schhol and better to compare state to state. Your Gilman's and McDonough would compete as would Dematha but after that you have no school that could compete in the 8a class of Florida. Which by the way was just voted toughest division in all the Country . Tonight Plant is playing Fort Pierce Central in what many think will draw 6 to 7,000 fans in cold(for Fl) a 45 degree temp game. If Plant were not 3 hours or more away the crowd would be over 10,000. How many games a year does Md draw over 3,000 let alone 6,000

#12 justforfun

justforfun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

By the way Tomlin of Pittsburg should be suspended and fined for a game

#13 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

bad comparison. MD should be compared to states with similar traits such as Va and NJ. FL should be compare to the TX, Ca and Ohio's of the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users