Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

The Miaa-a needs a major overhaul (The Ultimate Plan)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

With a anti-climatic finish to a year in which high expecations just did not  play out, the time has come for the Miaa-a to think really big and make some long needed changes. Everyon knows the Miaa-a is the Golden child of elite conferences in the state of Maryland. However, anyone who really follows high school football can tell you, the Miaa-a has simply fallen short of delivering the big showtime venue most fans have wanted and expected. Mcdonogh beating up on would be national power Gilman wasn't a bad thing but it sure as heck did not help Gilmans image as an elite powerhouse poster child for the metro area. ....here is what AO recomends..

1. Go back to the table and re-invite Both City and Poly into the conference. Tell the Poly folks to stop being p******s and get over the fact that they may not win a state title in feild hockey or water polo. Present them with the long term benefits. The Poly administration or the school in general has never been what most people would consider smart but that does not make them stupid. Just speak very slowly too them and perhaps they will get it.

2. Create a tripleheader venue for thanksgiving day at M&T bank. Keep CHC vs Loyola at  10am. Place Mcdonogh in the 2 pm slot vs Gilman. The crowd that usually flows to this game would increase 3 to 5 fold simply because the game is on thanksgiving. Does not such a high profile game deserve top billing. Miaa-a ...you guys are sitting on a gold Mind and you don't even know it. Pit City against Poly in a nightcap under the lights at 6 pm. The 14 to 20 thousand fans who frequent this game each and every year would swell to 20 to  30 thousand fans. NEWS FLASH MIAA-A, Black folks don't like going anyplace early, take a look at the Chc vs Loyola game at 10 am each thansgiving day and get my point. By moving the City vs Poly game to thanksgiving evening, black folk who attend this game would be more than elated to make the later kick off time. That why the crowd would swell.

3. Continue the upgrade...with the inclusion of St. Frances in the Miaa-a, make sure they land a long term contract/schedule with Dunbar. This would become the biggest game (other than City vs Poly) in the entire metro area overnight. Move up St Pauls and Curley to the A level. Both programs have demonstrated they are good enough to compete with the big boys year in and year out.

4. Upgrade the scheduling to resolve some territorial disputes...Schedule the games for the end of the season to create some late season excitement leading up to thanksgiving.

St. Frances vs Dunbar

Patterson vs Curley

City vs CHC

Mcdonogh vs Franklin

Poly vs Gilman

St. Joes vs Edmondson

Boys Latin vs Pikesville

5. Whatever you guys do, get City and Poly in the league. ITS A COLOSSAL STEAL OF EPIC PROPORTIONS. In one swoop, you land baltimore city's best two high schools....as both would come with a history that overshadows anything any miaa-a school could ever produce. You land the City Poly game..enough said on that issue. The Miaa-a does not realy need a championship game to upgrade its prestidge, popularity or level of competition.The Miaa-a simply needs to diversify its portfolio to place it on a level the WCAC could never rival or duplicate. Imagine the level of excitement with the inclusion of these like minded schools with a tripleheader thanksgiving venue. Over looking this move is like snubbing a young independantly rich virgin with huge knockers and a sweet disposition.

Edited by agentorange, 28 November 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#2 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

It going to go the opposite way...  Building power house teams creates more problems for the school than its worth...  Example Calvert Hall is dealing with many issues they never had to before..( ie.. Theft, issues with behavior etc..)   it was over looked while winning but it is coming up now..    Private High Schools are not universities they don't have the lucrative TV contracts and millions of dollars to make it all go away...   Ultimately the school has to sell itself to parents on the academics, tradition,reputation and discipline of the school...  Its going to revert back... and quickly

#3 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,725 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

It going to go the opposite way...  Building power house teams creates more problems for the school than its worth...  Example Calvert Hall is dealing with many issues they never had to before..( ie.. Theft, issues with behavior etc..)   it was over looked while winning but it is coming up now..    Private High Schools are not universities they don't have the lucrative TV contracts and millions of dollars to make it all go away...   Ultimately the school has to sell itself to parents on the academics, tradition,reputation and discipline of the school...  Its going to revert back... and quickly

I think you are off on this one. I think a school like CHC might scale back because of issues they're dealing with but other schools aren't scaling back. Look at what St. Paul's is doing, even what Boys Latin is doing as well. And both of these schools have plenty of money. Hell, even Friends is trying to make a name in Basketball. They brought in the #1 ninth grader in the area and one of the best in the country in Myles Douglas. These schools like the press that athletics brings and it also makes the school look diverse.

#4 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

I think you are off on this one. I think a school like CHC might scale back because of issues they're dealing with but other schools aren't scaling back. Look at what St. Paul's is doing, even what Boys Latin is doing as well. And both of these schools have plenty of money. Hell, even Friends is trying to make a name in Basketball. They brought in the #1 ninth grader in the area and one of the best in the country in Myles Douglas. These schools like the press that athletics brings and it also makes the school look diverse.

BL is definitely trying to step up football-wise. I've heard they have a really talented junior class and are making facilities improvements to their football/lacrosse stadium. I see it as a smaller-scale version of what happened with McDonogh. McDonogh got tired of getting beat by Gilman and decided majorly ramp up their support for the football program. I think they same thing is happening at BL. They see what's going on over at St. Paul's and know that they need to step up if they want to beat them again.

I don't see why Loyola and CHC can't be good again soon. Look at Spalding. They don't have the football history or the academic reputation of either school and they were the 3rd best team in the MIAA this year.

#5 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

You can forget trying to build the MIAA around Thanksgiving. A lot of schools are sick of it and not having a playoffs. You might need to bring in new schools because some might be looking at other options.

#6 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,725 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

You can forget trying to build the MIAA around Thanksgiving. A lot of schools are sick of it and not having a playoffs. You might need to bring in new schools because some might be looking at other options.

I think it's more likely that CHC and Loyola leaves the MIAA if they want to keep the Turkey Bowl than what Harco was suggesting. I see the A bringing up schools and bringing in a real Playoffs that's not predicated on CHC/Loyola not playing twice.

#7 ECF

ECF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

From a reliable source. I heard that there was a meeting of the WCAC,MIAA, and some MD public school coaches earlier in the week about the privates joining the state playoffs.

Edited by ECF, 29 November 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#8 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,725 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

From a reliable source. I heard that there was a meeting of the WCAC,MIAA, and some MD public school coaches earlier in the week about the privates joining the state playoffs.

What can the coaches do(outside of probably Biff)? They aren't the people that make the decision on joining States. Sounds good but don't see it happening and it would have to be a major overhaul and would take more than one meeting and would need meetings with heads of the associations. Too many rules for Privates to join. DeMatha would NEVER live by state rules and neither would almost every other private.

#9 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

BL is definitely trying to step up football-wise. I've heard they have a really talented junior class and are making facilities improvements to their football/lacrosse stadium. I see it as a smaller-scale version of what happened with McDonogh. McDonogh got tired of getting beat by Gilman and decided majorly ramp up their support for the football program. I think they same thing is happening at BL. They see what's going on over at St. Paul's and know that they need to step up if they want to beat them again.

I don't see why Loyola and CHC can't be good again soon. Look at Spalding. They don't have the football history or the academic reputation of either school and they were the 3rd best team in the MIAA this year.

There are issues at St Pauls as well.... There will be changes there this year as well as some kids/coaches  leaving... I have from good sources the Catholic schools are looking to have their own all Catholic league as well has fall under the MPSSAA rules too qualify for state tournaments.. 

#10 ECF

ECF

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

There are issues at St Pauls as well.... There will be changes there this year as well as some kids/coaches  leaving... I have from good sources the Catholic schools are looking to have their own all Catholic league as well has fall under the MPSSAA rules too qualify for state tournaments.. 

Like I said..... from a reliable source !!

#11 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

I think the catholics would like that. The true privates (Gilman, McD) would never go for it. I think the catholics would rather not sell their souls for football and I agree it just brings in athletes, not students that should not be there in the first place.

#12 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,725 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

DeMatha, Good Counsel, St. John's , Gonzaga and O'Connell WOULD NEVER join the state association. Not even just for football but basketball is even bigger than football at schools like DM, O'Connell and Zaga. They have years of prestige and are National programs. St. John's biggest donor, Kevin Plank has poured an immense amount of money into that school and football program(even building them a new field). Nothing would ever be done without his approval and I personally know that he wants that program to go the National route. Please tell me what any of these schools would get out of joining the MPSSAA? I can see CHC and Loyola joining. And maybe MSJ and Spalding might decide to join but I don't know how they would have a whole Catholic league.

#13 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

DeMatha, Good Counsel, St. John's , Gonzaga and O'Connell WOULD NEVER join the state association. Not even just for football but basketball is even bigger than football at schools like DM, O'Connell and Zaga. They have years of prestige and are National programs. St. John's biggest donor, Kevin Plank has poured an immense amount of money into that school and football program(even building them a new field). Nothing would ever be done without his approval and I personally know that he wants that program to go the National route. Please tell me what any of these schools would get out of joining the MPSSAA? I can see CHC and Loyola joining. And maybe MSJ and Spalding might decide to join but I don't know how they would have a whole Catholic league.

Well, I doubt St. John's, GZ and O'Connell could join the MPSSAA considering they aren't in Maryland. DeMatha and Good Counsel are worried about the future viability of the WCAC because there is increasing momentum for their to be 1 league for all DC sports, public and private.

I've always felt that if McDonogh and Gilman wish to compete at the highest level of HS football, they'd eventually have to move to a regional league. I've also always said disregard how good a school is in football now, rather look at how good they have the potential to be with regards to endowment and alumni base. I mentioned the Southwest Preparatory Conference on here before. A TX-OK based private school league that stretches from Tulsa in the north to Houston in the South and southwest to San Antonio. A league of that footprint on the east coast could stretch from New Jersey/Philly to Charlotte and west to Cincinnati

#14 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

If there were to be an all Catholic league it wouldn't necessarily mean all the schools in the league would have to be MPSSAA members..  I would suppose the Maryland privates that would want to qualify for the State tournament would become associate members of the MPSSAA (very similar as some privates in DE are associate members of DIAA)  They would play their Catholic league schedule and some out of conference games and have to accrue points to qualify for states but they would also have to follow the rules such as start dates, practice times, 10 game max etc....

#15 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

It's not an all Catholic league and won't be playing in the public tourney.

#16 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Well, I doubt St. John's, GZ and O'Connell could join the MPSSAA considering they aren't in Maryland. DeMatha and Good Counsel are worried about the future viability of the WCAC because there is increasing momentum for their to be 1 league for all DC sports, public and private.

I've always felt that if McDonogh and Gilman wish to compete at the highest level of HS football, they'd eventually have to move to a regional league. I've also always said disregard how good a school is in football now, rather look at how good they have the potential to be with regards to endowment and alumni base. I mentioned the Southwest Preparatory Conference on here before. A TX-OK based private school league that stretches from Tulsa in the north to Houston in the South and southwest to San Antonio. A league of that footprint on the east coast could stretch from New Jersey/Philly to Charlotte and west to Cincinnati

We are talking about high schools not college here. HS football should not be traveling across the country to play games in my opinion

#17 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

This was my "wish-list" for a non-MIAA regional league from last year. I still like this lineup:

Current MIAA:

- McDonogh School (endowment $80 million)
- Gilman School (endowment $65 million)
- Saint Paul's School (endowment $30 million)
- Boys' Latin School of Maryland(endowment $31 million)
- Severn School (endowment $32 million)
- Friends School of Baltimore (endowment $22 million)

Current IAC: Episcopal School (VA) (endowment $153 million)

Current Independent: Georgetown Preparatory School (endowment $80 million)

Current VISFA Division 1:
- Liberty Christian Academy (VA) (supported by Liberty University; endowment $54 million)
- Woodberry Forest School (VA) (endowment $254 million)

Current Inter-Academic League:
- Haverford School (PA) (endowment $35 million)
- Episcopal Academy (PA) (endowment $30 million)
- William Penn Charter School (PA) (endowment $54 million)
- Germantown Academy (PA) (endowment $27 million)

Current Mid-Atlantic Prep:
- Mercersburg Academy (PA) (endowment $131 million)
- Lawrenceville School (NJ) (endowment $310 million)
- Peddie School (NJ) (endowment $210 million)
- Hill School (PA) (endowment $115 million)

Current DE Independents: Saint Andrew's School (DE) (endowment $200 million)

Realistically, you'd aim to get 10-12 of these 19 schools. Like I said, I don't care how good they are now, I care about how good they have the potential to be if they decided to invest in athletics.

#18 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

This was my "wish-list" for a non-MIAA regional league from last year. I still like this lineup:

Current MIAA:

- McDonogh School (endowment $80 million)
- Gilman School (endowment $65 million)
- Saint Paul's School (endowment $30 million)
- Boys' Latin School of Maryland(endowment $31 million)
- Severn School (endowment $32 million)
- Friends School of Baltimore (endowment $22 million)

Current IAC: Episcopal School (VA) (endowment $153 million)

Current Independent: Georgetown Preparatory School (endowment $80 million)

Current VISFA Division 1:
- Liberty Christian Academy (VA) (supported by Liberty University; endowment $54 million)
- Woodberry Forest School (VA) (endowment $254 million)

Current Inter-Academic League:
- Haverford School (PA) (endowment $35 million)
- Episcopal Academy (PA) (endowment $30 million)
- William Penn Charter School (PA) (endowment $54 million)
- Germantown Academy (PA) (endowment $27 million)

Current Mid-Atlantic Prep:
- Mercersburg Academy (PA) (endowment $131 million)
- Lawrenceville School (NJ) (endowment $310 million)
- Peddie School (NJ) (endowment $210 million)
- Hill School (PA) (endowment $115 million)

Current DE Independents: Saint Andrew's School (DE) (endowment $200 million)

Realistically, you'd aim to get 10-12 of these 19 schools. Like I said, I don't care how good they are now, I care about how good they have the potential to be if they decided to invest in athletics.

WHo cares how good they could be. That is not the point of high school. Education is first and foremost and that is where most of these schools want to remain. It makes no sense spending all this money on athletics (football) That is sending the wrong message to kids. Again when schools start dropping money to bring in athletes and not students problems will occur.

#19 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

The other proposal I've made before, one that would be a radical departure from any other state and a way to smoothly integrate the private schools into the MPSSAA would be to realize that school size matters little when it comes to competitiveness.

I took the CalPreps 5-year Dynasty ratings and used them to divide all the football playing schools in the state into classifications based solely on how well they've performed the last 5 years, with overall W/L record, league W/L record, state W/L record, division W/L record, W/L record vs. the top 1,000 teams, W/L record vs. the top 7,000 teams, MaxPreps rating, strength of schedule, and opponents' W/L record all factored in.

I then made 5 Classifications, 4 with 44 Schools, 1 with 45. Here are the classifications with schools listed in order from highest to lowest dynasty rating (2013 not yet included):

Class 5A
- Our Lady of Good Counsel High School
- Gilman School
- River Hill High School
- DeMatha Catholic High School
- Calvert Hall College High School
- Old Mill High School
- Arundel High School
- Henry A. Wise High School
- Middletown High School
- Quince Orchard High School
- McDonogh School
- Huntingtown High School
- Urbana High School
- Linganore High School
- Paul Lawrence Dunbar High School
- Loyola-Blakefield School
- Frederick Douglass High School (Prince George's County)
- Georgetown Preparatory School
- Sherwood High School
- Atholton High School
- Westlake High School
- North Point High School
- Maurice J. McDonough High School
- Fort Hill High School
- Broadneck High School
- Wilde Lake High School
- Mount Saint Joseph High School
- Gwynn Park High School
- Archbishop Spalding High School
- Damascus High School
- Governor Thomas Johnson High School
- Seneca Valley High School
- Eleanor Roosevelt High School
- Suitland High School
- Charles Herbert Flowers High School
- Landon School
- Hereford High School
- Westminster High School
- Patuxent High School
- Glenelg High School
- Walkersville High School
- Franklin High School
- Howard High School
- Queen Anne's County High School

Class 4A
- Meade High School
- Baltimore Polytechnic High School
- Reservoir High School
- Bishop McNamara High School
- South River High School
- Eastern Technical High School
- Long Reach High School
- Edmondson-Westside High School
- Saint Paul's School for Boys
- Severna Park High School
- Perry Hall High School
- Patterson High School
- Catonsville High School
- Potomac High School (Prince George's County)
- Kent Island High School
- North Harford High School
- Winston Churchill High School
- Gaithersburg High School
- Hammond High School
- Baltimore City College
- Chopticon High School
- Catoctin High School
- South Carroll High School
- Archbishop Curley High School
- Southern High School (Anne Arundel County)
- Paint Branch High School
- Friendly High School
- Century High School
- Boy's Latin School of Maryland
- Henry E. Lackey High School
- John Carroll School
- Milford Mill Academy
- Allegheny High School
- Duval High School
- Tuscarora High School
- Northwest High School (Montgomery County)
- Walt Whitman High School
- Saint Mary's High School
- Springbrook High School
- Boonsboro High School
- Bullis School
- Fallston High School
- Annapolis High School
- Clarksburg High School

Class 3A
- North County High School
- Brunswick High School
- Frederick High School
- Centennial High School
- Bowie High School
- North Hagerstown High School
- Mount Hebron High School
- New Town High School
- Northwestern High School (Prince George's County)
- Havre de Grace High School
- Northern High School (Calvert County)
- Joppatowne High School
- Winters Mill High School
- Cambridge-South Dorchester High School
- South Hagerstown High School
- Thomas S. Wooton High School
- Wicomico High School
- Calvert High School
- Smithsburg High School
- Forestville Military Academy
- Liberty High School
- Stephen Decatur High School
- Perryville High School
- Aberdeen High School
- Mountain Ridge High School
- Overlea High School
- Parkville High School
- Elkton High School
- Woodlawn High School
- Chesapeake High School (Anne Arundel County)
- Bladensburg High School
- Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School
- Maryland Christian Home School
- James Hubert Blake High School
- Bel Air High School
- Great Mills High School
- Marriotts Ridge High School
- Saint Frances Academy
- Albert Einstein High School
- Dundalk High School
- Leonardtown High School
- La Plata High School
- Oxon Hill High School
- Watkins Mill High School

Class 2A
- Annapolis Area Christian School
- Western Technology & Enviromental Science High School
- Maryland School for the Deaf
- Surrattsville High School
- Frederick Douglass High School (Baltimore City)
- Mergenthaler Vocational-Technical High School
- Colonel Zadok Magruder High School
- Oakdale High School
- C. Milton Wright High School
- Oakland Mills High School
- Northeast High School (Anne Arundel)
- Severn School
- Riverdale Baptist School
- Chesapeake High School (Baltimore County)
- Digital Harbor High School
- Walter Johnson High School
- Northern Garrett High School
- Rockville High School
- Thomas Stone High School
- Kenwood High School
- Patterson Mill High School
- North Caroline High School
- Bohemia Manor High School
- Snow Hill High School
- Crossland High School
- Towson High School
- Sparrows Point High School
- Saint Mary's Ryken High School
- Montgomery Blair High School
- Glen Burnie High School
- Forest Park High School
- Northwestern High School (Baltimore City)
- North Carroll High School
- Parkdale High School
- Saint John's Catholic Preparatory School
- Manchester Valley High School
- Avalon School
- Saint Vincent Pallotti High School
- Pikesville High School
- Williamsport High School
- Laurel High School
- Randallstown High School
- Rising Sun High School
- Northwood High School

- Richard Montgomery High School

Class 1A
- Southern Garrett High School
- Central High School
- James M. Bennett High School
- Owings Mills High School
- Parkside High School
- Reginald F. Lewis High School
- W.E.B DuBois High School
- Carver Vocational-Technical High School
- Edgewood High School
- Southwestern High School
- Lake Clifton High School
- Francis Scott Key High School
- Saint James School
- Wheaton High School
- Poolesville High School
- John F. Kennedy High School
- Dulaney High School
- Fairmont Heights High School
- Baltimore Lutheran School
- Easton High School
- New Era (Southside) Academy
- Clear Spring High School
- Loch Raven High School
- North East High School
- High Point High School
- Silver Oak Academy
- Harford Technical High School
- Kent County High School
- Patapsco High School
- Lansdowne High School
- Friends School of Baltimore
- Maritime Academy
- Central Maryland Christian Home School
- Colonel Richardson High School
- Frederick County Christian Home School
- Washington High School
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel High School
- Hancock High School
- National Academy Foundation
- Bluford Drew Jemison Academy
- Maryland Academy of Technology and Health Sciences
- Benjamin Franklin-Masonville Cove Community Academy
- Friendship Academy of Engineering and Technology

- National Christian Academy

- Capitol Christian Academy

This system gives every school a fair shot at playoffs and a championship. It also ensures that there are no cakewalks to a state title. You won't see any more Dunbars in 1A. This system would give you the most exciting regular and post season in high school sports. It would be as close to parity as you're ever going to get across the board.

You would re-adjust this every 4-5 years as teams improved or fell off. This gets rid of the problem of small privates like McDonogh or Gilman dominating the current systems 1A. This is a system solely based on performance over a given period of time. 

You would use a similar metric to calculate the classifications in all other sports as well.

Edited by eaglesinsider, 29 November 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#20 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,725 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

It's not an all Catholic league and won't be playing in the public tourney.

Now this makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users