With a anti-climatic finish to a year in which high expecations just did not play out, the time has come for the Miaa-a to think really big and make some long needed changes. Everyon knows the Miaa-a is the Golden child of elite conferences in the state of Maryland. However, anyone who really follows high school football can tell you, the Miaa-a has simply fallen short of delivering the big showtime venue most fans have wanted and expected. Mcdonogh beating up on would be national power Gilman wasn't a bad thing but it sure as heck did not help Gilmans image as an elite powerhouse poster child for the metro area. ....here is what AO recomends..
1. Go back to the table and re-invite Both City and Poly into the conference. Tell the Poly folks to stop being p******s and get over the fact that they may not win a state title in feild hockey or water polo. Present them with the long term benefits. The Poly administration or the school in general has never been what most people would consider smart but that does not make them stupid. Just speak very slowly too them and perhaps they will get it.
2. Create a tripleheader venue for thanksgiving day at M&T bank. Keep CHC vs Loyola at 10am. Place Mcdonogh in the 2 pm slot vs Gilman. The crowd that usually flows to this game would increase 3 to 5 fold simply because the game is on thanksgiving. Does not such a high profile game deserve top billing. Miaa-a ...you guys are sitting on a gold Mind and you don't even know it. Pit City against Poly in a nightcap under the lights at 6 pm. The 14 to 20 thousand fans who frequent this game each and every year would swell to 20 to 30 thousand fans. NEWS FLASH MIAA-A, Black folks don't like going anyplace early, take a look at the Chc vs Loyola game at 10 am each thansgiving day and get my point. By moving the City vs Poly game to thanksgiving evening, black folk who attend this game would be more than elated to make the later kick off time. That why the crowd would swell.
3. Continue the upgrade...with the inclusion of St. Frances in the Miaa-a, make sure they land a long term contract/schedule with Dunbar. This would become the biggest game (other than City vs Poly) in the entire metro area overnight. Move up St Pauls and Curley to the A level. Both programs have demonstrated they are good enough to compete with the big boys year in and year out.
4. Upgrade the scheduling to resolve some territorial disputes...Schedule the games for the end of the season to create some late season excitement leading up to thanksgiving.
St. Frances vs Dunbar
Patterson vs Curley
City vs CHC
Mcdonogh vs Franklin
Poly vs Gilman
St. Joes vs Edmondson
Boys Latin vs Pikesville
5. Whatever you guys do, get City and Poly in the league. ITS A COLOSSAL STEAL OF EPIC PROPORTIONS. In one swoop, you land baltimore city's best two high schools....as both would come with a history that overshadows anything any miaa-a school could ever produce. You land the City Poly game..enough said on that issue. The Miaa-a does not realy need a championship game to upgrade its prestidge, popularity or level of competition.The Miaa-a simply needs to diversify its portfolio to place it on a level the WCAC could never rival or duplicate. Imagine the level of excitement with the inclusion of these like minded schools with a tripleheader thanksgiving venue. Over looking this move is like snubbing a young independantly rich virgin with huge knockers and a sweet disposition.
Edited by agentorange, 28 November 2013 - 03:08 PM.