• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#1 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Thankfully, the football season has come to an end for this Calvert Hall fan. Now I can look forward to the Cardinals basketball program fighting MSJ & SFA for MIAA/BCL supremacy.

Also looking forward to the MLK Hoopfest Showcase taking place at Coolidge HS (DC) on January 18, 2014. I attended last year and saw some good basketball played by Dunbar (MD), Coolidge, John Carroll, Milford Mill, Theodore Roosevelt, SFA, Spingarn & Princeton Day. This year's lineup includes:

1pm Baltimore City College vs Stonewall Jackson (VA)

2:30pm Dunbar (MD) vs West Charlotte (NC)

4pm DuVal vs Wakefield (VA)

5:30pm Wise vs Edison (VA)

7pm Calvert Hall College vs Riverdale Baptist

City is absolutely loaded with the majority of their team coming back and the addition of Dunbar transfer, combo guard Kamau Stokes. Dunbar may fall back to the pack with graduation losses and transfers. CHC will get the chance to prove themselves against 6'10" Louisville-bound Chinanu Onuaku and his Crusaders. This should be an interesting day of basketball.

#2 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

Was at SFA on Wednesday night and saw a very good game between the Baltimore Sun's #1 MSJ Gaels and #3 SFA Panthers.  SFA pulled out the win despite only going 6 deep on the bench.  SFA's sophomore guards, Bracey & Richards, are extremely quick and are both very effective scorers.  UNLV-bound Dwayne Morgan let the game come to him and he rebounded, blocked shots and scored both inside and out.  Digital Harbor transfer Will Robinson was a low post force with very skilled moves around the basket.  SFA's starting center, Josh Ayeni, rebounded well and DeMatha transfer & 6th man, Jared Hamilton had the highlight of the night when he threw down a huge dunk in the second half.  No other bench players had any meaningful minutes against SFA. The Gaels were led by Villanova signee, Phil Booth, who suffered a nasty cut over his right eye and had to come out of the game twice to have the wound dressed and bandaged.  Booth showed he'll be in the mix for Sun Player of the Year with his all-around dominance.  PG Jalen Adams and SG Jordan McNeil had decent games but sophomore forward Doc Barnes showed that he will be tough for MIAA/BCL opponents to handle this season. 

Both SFA & MSJ have issues that might allow for Calvert Hall to sneak in and win a MIAA or BCL championship.  SFA is not very deep and would suffer if they get into any significant fould trouble.  I think MSJ is better than SFA because because of a deeper bench although they dont seem to have a bonafide scorer to pair with Booth now that Kam Williams is at Ohio State.  The two teams could possibly play four more times this season.

CHC has stated the season at 4-0 with wins over Friends, Mt. Carmel, McDonogh & Takoma Academy.  The Cardinals go about 9 deep on their bench and have three players averaging at least 13 pts per game: JR C Evan Phoenix (13.5), JR G Drew Edwards (13.2) & JR G Nico Clareth (13.0).  CHC plays Chavez (DC) tonight in their second game at the Sidwell Friends Invitational down in DC. 

Edited by TheGuru, 06 December 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#3 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

CHC had a tough game against McD, what makes you think they will challenge for the title? I don't think Gilman will challenge MSJ and SFA for the title but this team will be better than people think. They will give CHC all they can handle and then some. Locksley is SPECIAL and believe it or not, has the best Frosh class in the area and one of the best in the state. With Douglas Cooper from DC Assault, Ty Foster and Donald Duncan from Team Melo, they have some serious ballers. With Friends Myles Douglas, these three are considered the best in the area in the class. They are 2-1 with the only loss coming to Georgetown Prep without Locksley. Big game against MSJ tonight. I'm trying to get back from Miami to see this one.

#4 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

CHC had a tough game against McD, what makes you think they will challenge for the title? I don't think Gilman will challenge MSJ and SFA for the title but this team will be better than people think. They will give CHC all they can handle and then some. Locksley is SPECIAL and believe it or not, has the best Frosh class in the area and one of the best in the state. With Douglas Cooper from DC Assault, Ty Foster and Donald Duncan from Team Melo, they have some serious ballers. With Friends Myles Douglas, these three are considered the best in the area in the class. They are 2-1 with the only loss coming to Georgetown Prep without Locksley. Big game against MSJ tonight. I'm trying to get back from Miami to see this one.

I know that $100,000 dollar education at Gilman included reading comprehension, Dawg.  CHC is deep this season.  DMV Elite player to watch Lawrence Cager didn't even make the team.  SFA can't afford foul trouble with a thin bench and MSJ has to find a second go to guy to assist Phil Booth.  I'm not sure Jacksonville recruit Jalen Adams or SR Jordan McNeil will consistently do that.  SO F Doc Barnes is the one with the most potential to finish second on the team in scoring. 

In addition to Edwards, Phoenix & Clareth, who was a terror for CHC during summer league play, the Cardinals have SR G Sean Mayberry, SR F Chris Wallace, JR G Reggie Rouse & MSJ transfer SO F Justin Gorham who are capale of playing meaningful minutes.  I can't wait to see play Gilman.  Make sure you're in town on January 3rd (@ Gilman) & January 31st (@CHC). MSJ should annihilate your Greyhounds tonight.  As normal, you hype whoever plays for Gilman.  Better watch it, your best football team in Gilman history got blown out by your biggest rival.  Don't jinx your basketball team, too.  LOL!

Edited by TheGuru, 06 December 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#5 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

AO INTERUPTS THIS REGULAR SCHEDULED  POSTING  WITH A BREAKING REPORT.....TWO NEWS SOURCES, THE  GREYOUND ALUM GAZZETTE AND GREYHOUND CABLE NEWS NETWORK ARE REPORTING THE 2013 GILMAN VARSITY FOOTBALL TEAM HAS BEEN CLEARED TO JOIN THE GILMAN BOYS BASKETBALL TEAM......THIS MEANS A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IS IN THE BAG FOR GILMANS BASKETBALL TEAM .....MSJ, SFA AND CHC HAVE ALL AGREED TO DISBAND THEIR BBALL TEAMS AND CONSCEDE THE ENTIRE SEASON TO....DUH HOUNDS......

#6 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

I know that $100,000 dollar education at Gilman included reading comprehension, Dawg. CHC is deep this season. DMV Elite player to watch Lawrence Cager didn't even make the team. SFA can't afford foul trouble with a thin bench and MSJ has to find a second go to guy to assist Phil Booth. I'm not sure Jacksonville recruit Jalen Adams or SR Jordan McNeil will consistently do that. SO F Doc Barnes is the one with the most potential to finish second on the team in scoring.

In addition to Edwards, Phoenix & Clareth, who was a terror for CHC during summer league play, the Cardinals have SR G Sean Mayberry, SR F Chris Wallace, JR G Reggie Rouse & MSJ transfer SO F Justin Gorham who are capale of playing meaningful minutes. I can't wait to see play Gilman. Make sure you're in town on January 3rd (@ Gilman) & January 31st (@CHC). MSJ should annihilate your Greyhounds tonight. As normal, you hype whoever plays for Gilman. Better watch it, your best football team in Gilman history got blown out by your biggest rival. Don't jinx your basketball team, too. LOL!

I never called this years Gilman football team the best ever, not even close! Two years from now, that's a different subject. Now I fully expect MSJ to win by 20. Gilman lacks size and that's hats going to hurt them. But their backcourt is legit, although very young. But none of these kids will be afraid of the big stage. They have all traveled the country playing against the best. And Locksley definitely won't be rattled. No reason to hype these kids, ask around about them. They're special! Well known in the Bmore/DC basketball circles as stars.

Cager was a returning Varsity player, how do you get cut when you were on the team the year before? That really makes no sense!

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM, 06 December 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#7 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

I never called this years Gilman football team the best ever, not even close! Two years from now, that's a different subject. Now I fully expect MSJ to win by 20. Gilman lacks size and that's hats going to hurt them. But their backcourt is legit, although very young. But none of these kids will be afraid of the big stage. They have all traveled the country playing against the best. And Locksley definitely won't be rattled. No reason to hype these kids, ask around about them. They're special! Well known in the Bmore/DC basketball circles as stars.

Cager was a returning Varsity player, how do you get cut when you were on the team the year before? That really makes no sense!

I heard there was a personality clash with the head coach.  Never really been a fan of Coach JB but  there seems to be no kids on the team who don't belong.

#8 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

I heard there was a personality clash with the head coach. Never really been a fan of Coach JB but there seems to be no kids on the team who don't belong.

Well that's a different story than actually getting cut. I've never heard of a kid actually getting cut after being on Varsity the season before. By the way, Ty Foster for Gilman was on Bmore Elite last year, not Team Melo.

#9 Maryland Mountaineer

Maryland Mountaineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Is City the team to beat in the City league this year? What does Archbishop Spaulding have this year?

#10 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

Is City the team to beat in the City league this year? What does Archbishop Spaulding have this year?

Yeah City is the team to beat IMHO. Bring back 4 starters and got one of the best players in the city transfer in from Dunbar. Spalding will be weak this year, hey lost their best player to a transfer to Boy's Latin.

#11 Maryland Mountaineer

Maryland Mountaineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

Thanks GA. I have family ties to Spaulding and always hope they do well.

#12 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Thanks GA. I have family ties to Spaulding and always hope they do well.

No problem. I hear they have some young talent though.

#13 Maryland Mountaineer

Maryland Mountaineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:23 AM

One of them is my nephew. He's a sophomore that also plays football

#14 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:50 AM

I got to see BCC at the Baltimore/D.C. Challenge on Saturday and they are who we thought they were. Poly won and Dunbar lost before I arrived at Lake Clifton but I did see Edmondson beat Theodore Rooselvelt (DC) and City demolish Coolidge (DC).   City will be extremely difficult to beat in the 3A this season.  However, with Rysheed Corbin (G) transferring to Patterson from Forest Park, I see the Clippers fighting it out for the Baltimore City championship with City.

Calvert Hall won the Sidwell Friends Invitational down in D.C. over the weekend, taking out Takoma Academy, Chavez (DC) and McKinley Tech (DC).  As they have all season, Drew Edwards, Evan Phoenix, Nico Clareth & Sean Mayberry led the way for the Cardinals.  Next up is Mt. St. Joseph Wednesday night @ CHC. 

BTW, the preseason #1 Gilman Greyhounds got smashed against MSJ on Friday night.  Not a good look for a team that might want to reconsider going back down to the B-Conference before things really get ugly.  I can see all-world phenoms Everett Winchester, Douglas Cooper, Ty Foster & Donald Duncan taking their talents to South Beach by the end of the school year.  LOL!

Edited by TheGuru, 09 December 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#15 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

I got to see BCC at the Baltimore/D.C. Challenge on Saturday and they are who we thought they were. Poly won and Dunbar lost before I arrived at Lake Clifton but I did see Edmondson beat Theodore Rooselvelt (DC) and City demolish Coolidge (DC). City will be extremely difficult to beat in the 2A this season. However, with Rysheed Corbin (G) transferring to Patterson from Forest Park, I see the Clippers fighting it out for the Baltimore City championship with City.

Calvert Hall won the Sidwell Friends Invitational down in D.C. over the weekend, taking out Takoma Academy, Chavez (DC) and McKinley Tech (DC). As they have all season, Drew Edwards, Evan Phoenix, Nico Clareth & Sean Mayberry led the way for the Cardinals. Next up is Mt. St. Joseph Wednesday night @ CHC.

BTW, the preseason #1 Gilman Greyhounds got smashed against MSJ on Friday night. Not a good look for a team that might want to reconsider going back down to the B-Conference before things really get ugly. I can see all-world phenoms Everett Winchester, Douglas Cooper, Ty Foster & Donald Duncan taking their talents to South Beach by the end of the school year. LOL!

No surprise here. Gilman isn't ready for MSJ this year. Also don't think Locksley played. He was hurt in the McD game and not healthy yet. Next year is the year for Gilman. They only have 2 seniors on the team. Don't worry, by he time Gilman plays CHC they should be in game shape and healthy.

#16 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

With the economy being so bad and many people statewide struggling to feed their families and heat their homes, now is the time to bring back the Fuel Fund Classic at the Baltimore Arena.  Back in the day big crowds would come downtown to see the Baltimore Catholic League champion take on the Baltimore City champion after their respective seasons.  The MPSSAA and the BCL should come together and schedule a triple header for right after the state tournament and before the Alhambra Catholic Invitational..  They could charge $5 in addition to asking for canned goods or non-perishable food items and all proceeds would go to the Maryland Enengy Assistance Program and the Maryland Food Bank.  Here are matchups I'd love to see:

Patterson HS vs SFA

Edmondson HS vs Mt. St. Joseph

City College vs Calvert Hall College

Edited by TheGuru, 09 December 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#17 DJGreg1200

DJGreg1200

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

Congrats to Milford Mill for their 66-64 win in Philly on Saturday over St Benedict's (NJ). St Benedict's finished last year ranked #2 in the nation and was ranked nationally as high as #17 in a couple of preseason polls. Maxpreps has Milford in their "Tough to leave out" category in this weeks national rankings. A win over DeMatha on Saturday night could push the Millers into the national rankings for the first time in school history.

#18 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,912 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Congrats to Milford Mill for their 66-64 win in Philly on Saturday over St Benedict's (NJ). St Benedict's finished last year ranked #2 in the nation and was ranked nationally as high as #17 in a couple of preseason polls. Maxpreps has Milford in their "Tough to leave out" category in this weeks national rankings. A win over DeMatha on Saturday night could push the Millers into the national rankings for the first time in school history.

That was a very impressive win for Milford and definitely puts them on the national radar. I'm gonna have to make that trip down to Dematha on Sat. I see that City and Milford will get their rematch on Jan. 25th at Morgan St. That will be a huge game for the area and maybe a 3a title preview.

#19 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

On the surface this a good win.  But upon further review, MMA may have lucked out with the timing of playing St. Benedict's this early in the season.  St. Benedict's leading scoreres in last season's National High School Invitation are no longer at the school.  Tyler Ennis (6-2 PG) is now at Syracuse.  Isaiah Watkins (6-8 F) is at Duquesne and Michael Young (6-8 F) plays for Pitt.  Six foot G Jonathan Williams, committed to VCU, is the Bee's best returning player.

St. Benedict's has an almost entirely new roster that will take time to gel.  See:  http://zagsblog.com/...-for-a-new-era/

As for DeMatha, time will tell how good they are.  DeMatha did lose 5 players to transfer this past offseason.  Nevertheless, if I go down to Hyattsville I will be supporting Milford Mill. 

#20 lord_baltimore

lord_baltimore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

MSJ defeats CHC in overtime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users