• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,352 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

Orioles trade Jim Johnson to A's

Updated: December 3, 2013, 12:23 AM ET

ESPN.com news services

The Baltimore Orioles have traded closer Jim Johnson to the Oakland Athletics for infielder Jemile Weeks.

Johnson, 30, led the majors in saves each of the past two seasons. He converted 50 of 59 saves opportunities this year and had a 2.94 ERA and 56 strikeouts in 70 1/3 innings.

He was an All-Star in 2012.

Weeks, 26, hit 271 with 17 stolen bases in Triple-A last year. He's hit .258 in the majors since 2011.

The Orioles also announced Monday night that tendered contracts to six of their arbitration eligible players: Matt Wieters, Chris Davis, Tommy Hunter, Bud Norris, Brian Matusz and Troy Patton.

They also re-signed Steve Pearce and Nolan Reimold for 2014, and cut ties with Eddie Gamboa and Jason Pridie.

The A's also fortified their rotation Monday, reaching a two-year, $22 million agreement with free-agent left-hander Scott Kazmir, sources told ESPN's Jim Bowden and Buster Olney on Monday.

Edited by Rob, 03 December 2013 - 12:29 AM.

#2 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

Jemile Weeks, 2B. All 5'-9" 160 lb's of him. God the O's are in love with these light hitting guys guys at second. Andino, Casilla, Weeks...

Johnson needed to go, no way did I want to pay him 10m this coming year, but really, this is all we can get in return for him? We basically got nothing for him. Nothing. Maybe we'll use the money saved for something nice.  :cool:

Edited by Gizmo, 03 December 2013 - 12:56 AM.

#3 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

Most popular phrase on 2014 A's game day threads:

"I hate watching this guy pitch"

:D  ;)

#4 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,352 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

Most popular phrase on 2014 A's game day threads:

"I hate watching this guy pitch"

:D  ;)

Or.... "Dammit Johnson..... you blew it AGAIN!!!"

#5 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,352 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

Our offseason:

Tim Alderson      - 44-27 4.10 career in minors
Cam Kneeland      - from Independent League
Edgmer Escalona   - 1-5 4.50 in MLB career
Cord Phelps       - .159 career hitter in MLB
Brad Brach        - 3-6 3.69 in MLB career
Johnny Monell     - .125 career hitter in MLB (8 AB)
Jamile Weeks      - .258 career hitter in MLB (859 AB)

#6 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

Our offseason:

Tim Alderson      - 44-27 4.10 career in minors
Cam Kneeland      - from Independent League
Edgmer Escalona   - 1-5 4.50 in MLB career
Cord Phelps       - .159 career hitter in MLB
Brad Brach        - 3-6 3.69 in MLB career
Johnny Monell     - .125 career hitter in MLB (8 AB)
Jamile Weeks      - .258 career hitter in MLB (859 AB)

LOL downright pathetic.   I'm all for Johnson being traded as well but for &(*^&( sake did we need another crappy utility player...i mean we have 5 of these guys and they are all the same.   We couldn't have gotten anything decent for Johnson?  A back to back 50 save closer?    He has been lights out his whole career except for this year.  He gets his confidence back and he could be back to being one of the top closers in baseball again.

#7 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:08 AM

It appears to be a salary dump.  What are the chances some of the saved money goes towards actually improving the team?

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,609 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

It appears to be a salary dump.  What are the chances some of the saved money goes towards actually improving the team?

history says the money saved will go toward another ivory backscratcher for Mr. Burns

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

That must be a literary reference that eludes me for now, but I do understand the sentiment.   

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,609 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

one of the funniest comments in the few articles I read was, 'what does it say about your commitment to being a contender in the AL east, when the Oakland A's are taking on your salary dump'

in all seriousness though, I totally understand moving him. the arb. board will hold up the shiny stat of 50 saves. meanwhile, they'll largely ignore the rust of 9 blown saves and how he single handedly gave the yankees the ALDS in 2012. but I an stymied at how they could only get a minor league player in return. Weeks is 26 yrs old. he's entering the prime of his career and has yet to establish himself at the ML level. 

couldn't they trade with the Rangers and let Buck use his insider trading knowledge of their farm system to once again rook Jon Daniels out of 2 impact players?  :P

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#11 larsanderson

larsanderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

Is Weeks better than a player that could be had near the trading deadline? Or near the end of ST when someone's closer gets hurt?

Angelos to O's fans: you got 2012, what else do you want?

#12 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

105.7 the Fan this mornign theyy were talking about Angelos and that he is 84 now and that maybe he's at a turning point and will want to go for it all since his life is near the end.  LOL  are these guys delusional?  Angelos has no desire to win a world series.  The Orioles are an investment to him and as long as they make a profit that is all that matters, win or lose he wins. 

#13 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

I remember seeing Weeks bat a few years ago and he wasn't impressive.

#14 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

For $10m, I'm surprised the A's didn't try to re-sign Grant Balfour.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,609 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

105.7 the Fan this mornign theyy were talking about Angelos and that he is 84 now and that maybe he's at a turning point and will want to go for it all since his life is near the end.  LOL  are these guys delusional?  Angelos has no desire to win a world series.  The Orioles are an investment to him and as long as they make a profit that is all that matters, win or lose he wins. 

were the DJs 15 yrs old and only recently introduced to the Orioles?  :rolleyes:

#16 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

105.7 the Fan this mornign theyy were talking about Angelos and that he is 84 now and that maybe he's at a turning point and will want to go for it all since his life is near the end. LOL; are these guys delusional? Angelos has no desire to win a world series. The Orioles are an investment to him and as long as they make a profit that is all that matters, win or lose he wins.

84 isn't really that old anymore. Besides, Angelos will probably outlive all of us. Just because.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#17 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

Jemile Weeks, 2B. All 5'-9" 160 lb's of him. God the O's are in love with these light hitting guys guys at second. Andino, Casilla, Weeks...

Johnson needed to go, no way did I want to pay him 10m this coming year, but really, this is all we can get in return for him? We basically got nothing for him. Nothing. Maybe we'll use the money saved for something nice. :cool:

I would imagine the saved money is going straight to guys like Davis and the others from the OP that were tendered contracts.

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,085 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

Maybe we'll use the money saved for something nice.  :cool:

Yeah that's happening in Bird Land :rolleyes:

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#19 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

So is Homerun Hunter the new closer?  :D

#20 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

I missed this yesterday. Horrible. It will be interesting to see how this plays out - but I don't know how a 50 save reliever or a potential starter is worth a career below .700 OPS 2b. Is this payback for the Koji trade?
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users