• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

The O's big signings this off-season have pushed the Yankees to try and keep up.

ESPN

#2 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,992 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

The Yankees appear to be in hog wild spending spree mode reminiscent of the 2008 offseason when they got all those guys and won a championship. I wonder if they still intend to sign Cano.

#3 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:10 AM

The Yankees appear to be in hog wild spending spree mode reminiscent of the 2008 offseason when they got all those guys and won a championship. I wonder if they still intend to sign Cano.

That's what they do when they miss the playoffs.

7 years for $153 mil seems like a lot for an often injured player.  Carl Crawford 2?

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,399 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

on the ride in, I heard that the yankees payroll is at $169M for '14 (that includes Pay-Roid). and that only covers 11 players. They want to stay below $189M so they can reset their luxury tax rate. that leaves them $20M to play with. they currently only have 2 starters on the payroll, no Cano and no bench.

who thinks they can fill all their needs for $20M?  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

on the ride in, I heard that the yankees payroll is at $169M for '14 (that includes Pay-Roid). and that only covers 11 players. They want to stay below $189M so they can reset their luxury tax rate. that leaves them $20M to play with. they currently only have 2 starters on the payroll, no Cano and no bench.

Angelos could. :(

The Ellsbury signing blows my theory about teams starting to shy away from lucrative long-term contracts all to hell, doesn't it?

#6 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,000 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

I'm pretty sure they're throwing that 189 number to the wind.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#7 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

This is a great deal for the Yanks over the next couple of years, but may look like a stinker in 2016-17. Right now, this gives the Yanks potentially the best defensive OF in the East, maybe in baseball.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

The Ellsbury signing blows my theory about teams starting to shy away from lucrative long-term contracts all to hell, doesn't it?

maybe not. I'm sure Boras went in asking for 10, so accepting 7 may be progress. and it's the yankees, they'll be one of the very last teams to turn away from the overspending philosophy. this contract takes him to age 37. considering his big contribution is speed on the base path and OF, that's not a bad contract.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

I'm pretty sure they're throwing that 189 number to the wind.

it seems like it

#10 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,653 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

I hate this deal. 

Ellsbury is a good ballplayer but hasn't proven he's worth that kind of money. He's had only two seasons where he played more than 150 games. He doesn't provide enough power at the plate to make up for the potential losses of Granderson and Cano. 

Maybe the Yankees know something I don't...

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

I hate this deal. 

Ellsbury is a good ballplayer but hasn't proven he's worth that kind of money. He's had only two seasons where he played more than 150 games. He doesn't provide enough power at the plate to make up for the potential losses of Granderson and Cano. 

I've heard a few analysts comment on his missing time due to injury. you're right, he only played >150 games 2 times. but in two other seasons, he played >130. so that accounts for 4 of his 6 full seasons in the big leagues. I'll trade power for a guy who disrupts the pitcher when he gets on base. whoever hits behind him is going to see many more fastballs than usual. Machado's best offensive games were the ones where McLouth was on base and a threat to steal. when Nate was out of the line up, Manny didn't see nearly as many meatballs. and for the last 2 months of the season Nate completely stopped trying to steal bases. that coincided with Manny's offense numbers taking a dip. the two things could be completely unrelated, but I think there's a connection. 

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,277 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

I suppose, but it's the Yankees. No way with his health history does he get that deal with any other team

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#13 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,653 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

I've heard a few analysts comment on his missing time due to injury. you're right, he only played >150 games 2 times. but in two other seasons, he played >130. so that accounts for 4 of his 6 full seasons in the big leagues. I'll trade power for a guy who disrupts the pitcher when he gets on base. whoever hits behind him is going to see many more fastballs than usual. Machado's best offensive games were the ones where McLouth was on base and a threat to steal. when Nate was out of the line up, Manny didn't see nearly as many meatballs. and for the last 2 months of the season Nate completely stopped trying to steal bases. that coincided with Manny's offense numbers taking a dip. the two things could be completely unrelated, but I think there's a connection. 

He's an awesome player to watch when he's healthy.

I just don't have much confidence that his ability to stay off the DL will improve going forward now that he's in his 30's. 

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

He's an awesome player to watch when he's healthy.

I just don't have much confidence that his ability to stay off the DL will improve going forward now that he's in his 30's. 

I can understand that

#15 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,992 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

His major DL stints were due to a collision in the outfield and a guy falling on him. It's not like he's some fragile guy who keeps getting hurt.

Edited by Jimmy Jazz, 04 December 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#16 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

I hate this deal. 

The Yankees know that they didn't make the playoffs and the Red Sox won the WS.

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,277 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:27 AM

His major DL stints were due to a collision in the outfield and a guy falling on him. It's not like he's some fragile guy who keeps getting hurt.

However as someone else already mentioned, he's only played more than 150 games twice in his career. That's a lot of money for a guy that doesn't always give you a full season

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#18 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

I saw this report saying the Mariners have offered Cano 10/230-240M. If I had to guess, I think Cano probably wants to stay in NY and uses this as leverage to get the Yankees to up their offer, although the Yanks did sign Kelly Johnson today so maybe they are prepared to let him walk. Just speculation on my part.

LINK

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

I saw this report saying the Mariners have offered Cano 10/230-240M. If I had to guess, I think Cano probably wants to stay in NY and uses this as leverage to get the Yankees to up their offer, although the Yanks did sign Kelly Johnson today so maybe they are prepared to let him walk. Just speculation on my part.

LINK

Jim Bowden was talking about this. he said the yankees aren't moving on their offer. he also commented that Cano can go to the desolation of the pacific northwest, where he'll play in obscurity and make a few extra bucks doing commercials for local car dealerships. or he can stay in NY where local and national endorsement deals will fly at him at blinding speeds.

he also said that he has spoken with several people who are close to Cano, and he doesn't want to play for any other team than the yankees. he knows it, and the yankees know it. in his estimation, this is just a song and dance so that he can eventually win the hearts of yankee fans when he's able to say, I took less money to stay in the Bronx.  

#20 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

Looks like Jay-Z got greedy with the Mariners.

http://tracking.si.c...alks/?eref=sihp

The Mariners walked away from negotiations with Robinson Cano when Jay Z upped his ask to 10 years and $252 million, according to the New York Daily News.

Cano and his rapper-turned-agent Jay Z and CAA’s Brodie Van Wagenen reportedly had assurances of a deal with the Mariners for nine years and $225 million, but Mariners chairman/CEO Howard Lincoln reportedly “exploded” Thursday night when Jay-Z demanded an additional year — the same deal Alex Rodriguez signed when he left the Mariners for the Rangers in 2001.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users