Dan Connolly's horrible article on the Johnson trade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:17 AM

This is a weak attempt to cause uproar among the fan base. Here are some particular comments that made me roll my eyes.

Jim Johnson is not in an Orioles uniform anymore because, as executive vice president Dan Duquette explains it, the club needed to better allocate its financial resources throughout the 25-man roster.

In other words, paying roughly one-tenth of the expected payroll for a closer – a position that can be exceptionally volatile – didn’t make sense when the Orioles have other holes to fill and can use the money saved to do that...If that’s the case, then that $10 million is going to dry up fast.

What’s the going rate for a closer?

This set the stage for the point of his article. I bolded the "primer" line which is the first step in getting the fans agitated.He then goes on to offer some possible signings and their expected salary, which would be $5-6M/yr. So far I have no problem with what he's saying. But then he start stirring the pot.

That would leave about half (or less) of Johnson’s projected salary in 2014 to fill a spot at left field or designated hitter or in the starting rotation. And what will $5 million buy you these days? Probably a little less than one year of Nate McLouth. Five million is probably half a season of Scott Feldman... Feldman should be able to get in the $10 million range per season on a multi-year deal.

O.K. Dan, but the O's aren't trying to fill those holes with only $5M. But if they were, McLouth could be had for $5M/yr, no problem. he only earned $2M last yr, and he didn't have a big enough year to warrant a 150% increase in annual salary. They certainly aren't trying to re-sign Feldman for $5/yr. He made $6M last season, and he will certainly be given $12/yr in his new contract. So if he and the O's want to stay together, the team has almost reached the $12M mark by adding $5M to his 2013 money. and none of this takes into account that they have B-Rob's $10M to work with. Dan forgot to mention that.

I guess the reason this bothered me so much is because we O's fans are already painfully aware of life under the iron fist of PGA. Quality journalism informs us by sharing their unique access to the club and other information outlets. this article doesn't do that at all.  

http://www.baltimore...0,7907559.story

Edited by weird-O, 05 December 2013 - 08:20 AM.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

I don't see your frustration. It isn't the best writing, but I think he what he was trying to do was to show that 10 million isn't enough to meet all of the demands of the ballclub. If they are going out to the market on today's prices, DD isn't going to be able to get equal return for what he gave away, which is something I think most O's fans are saying. imo - Jemile Weeks basically replaces Hoes, but without the bat and with a position.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

I think he what he was trying to do was to show that 10 million isn't enough to meet all of the demands of the ballclub. 

exactly, but isn't it ridiculous to imply that the team's mindset is, "by saving $10M, we can do all those things".

for $10M, they can sign Grant Balfour and retain Nate at his expected salary increase. that's a better use of the money. why not make that suggestion, rather than scoff at the team's explanation that they are reallocating the funds.

don't get me wrong, I wasn't hopping mad over the article. I just thought it was a lame attempt to drum up frustration. it's sensationalism aimed at the lowest common denominator. and during the hot stove season, there are so many more interesting story lines to follow. ;)   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,835 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

exactly, but isn't it ridiculous to imply that the team's mindset is, "by saving $10M, we can do all those things".

for $10M, they can sign Grant Balfour and retain Nate at his expected salary increase. that's a better use of the money. why not make that suggestion, rather than scoff at the team's explanation that they are reallocating the funds.

I'm pretty sure we'll be outbid on Balfour. Just the O's track record

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#5 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,695 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

don't get me wrong, I wasn't hopping mad over the article. I just thought it was a lame attempt to drum up frustration. it's sensationalism aimed at the lowest common denominator. and during the hot stove season, there are so many more interesting story lines to follow. ;)

LOL...exactly. I think Roch's entry is drumming up a lot of interest right now.

For me, Tomlin's fine and the Steelers potential punishment are pretty interesting, especially in the wake of other scandals like Spygate, which didn't result in any punishment.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

I'm pretty sure we'll be outbid on Balfour. Just the O's track record

I hear ya. and I agree. 

realistically, they go for Majica (SP?) or Axford, because they'll be really cheap. 

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,868 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

For me, Tomlin's fine and the Steelers potential punishment are pretty interesting, especially in the wake of other scandals like Spygate, which didn't result in any punishment.

me too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users