Eastside Terp

World Cup

47 posts in this topic

One thing I have realized is most "soccer" fans are pompous a-holes around here like they are the hipsters of sports.  Drives me insane. 

And I said before.  The world cup is popular but soccer isn't.  Just like the Olympics.  Similar to MMA vs UFC for anyone into fighting.

Uhh, the World Cup that found the US out after losing to Belgium yesterday.

On Monday, Germany beat Algeria and France beat Nigeria, while yesterday Switzerland lost to Argentina in addition to the US-Belgium game.

It appears the best 8 went through.  I'll be cheering for Germany, but I suspect Argentina will be the finals winner.

Good showing by USMNT. I swear Belguim had Randy Moss and Megatron out there on the field vs the U.S. The boys showed a lot of heart out there. Well done.

What World Cup? When someone mentioned it, I first thought they were talking about those Rich guys with the Sailboats. Bottom line, Soccer is Not a Major Sport here in the US unless you're under like 12yrs old or an Immigrant. All of the "Pro" Soccer leagues here both indoor and out are struggling. Many teams have folded. Don't even have to mention that most of the "Urban" society doesn't pay attention to it at all.

"Urban" aka No brothas huh?. Well they do have some Army brats from Germany on the team thou :)

Germany beat France 1 to 0 in the first game of the quarter finals.

In the second game, Brazil beat Columbia.  Brazil and Germany will face off next Tuesday.

Neymar with a broken back. Big shame

Minutes after Scolari’s postgame news conference, the team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar said that Neymar had sustained a fractured vertebra in his lower back. Lasmar said the injury would not require surgery, but would take three to four weeks to heal.

It was a huge blow to the team, the country and the tournament. Neymar, 22, who plays for Barcelona, has had his face plastered on billboards and shown in television commercials since well before the tournament. For such a young player, he was shouldering a huge amount of responsibility.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/05/sports/worldcup/world-cup-2014-brazil-beats-colombia-in-quarterfinal.html?_r=0

In today's play, Argentina beat Belgium 1 to 0, while the Netherlands beat Costa Rica 4 to 3 on penalty kicks.  The two winners play each other Wednesday.

Germany beats Brazil 7 to 1.

Argentina beat the Netherlands 4-2 on penalty kicks.  The game went 0-0 during regulation and overtime play.

Brazil and the Netherlands meet on Saturday for the 3rd place game, while Germany and Argentina meet on Sunday for the final.

Can't get this song out of my mind.

While not a World Cup song, it has become one in Germany as it was used as the theme music by network ARD for World Cup coverage.

Ein Hoch auf das, was vor uns liegt
Dass es das Beste für uns gibt
Ein Hoch auf das, was uns vereint
Auf diese Zeit (Auf diese Zeit)

Mehr songtexte: http://www.songtextemania.com/auf_uns_songtext_andreas_bourani.html
Alle Infos über Andreas Bourani: http://www.musictory.de/musik/Andreas+Bourani

Here's to that which lies ahead

That there's the best for us

Here's to that which unites us

Here's to this time (this time)

Edited by Baltimatt

Those lyrics do fit the situation.  Let's go Deutschland.

I will be pulling for Argentina in this one ........

Messi needs to check this box to be counted among the greats of all time ........

The Netherlands beat host Brazil 3 to 1, including a goal during the final stoppage time, to win 3rd place in the World Cup.

DEUTSCHLAND

IST

WELTMEISTER!

1 to 0 in overtime.

Germany's goal came in the 113th minute by Mario Götze.

'54, '74, '90, 2014

Ja so stimmen wir alle ein.

Mit dem Herz in der Hand und der Leidenschaft am Bein

Werden wir Weltmeister sein!

If there is anything creepier than a stadium full of germans chanting in unison I haven't seen it.

Germany has no star like Messi, Neymar or Ronaldo. But they are a complete team with no obviuos trace of selfishness. Congratulations to the 4-time World Ciup winners.